Preview Rd2 Geelong v Hawthorn Mon Apr 2 MCG 3:20 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not in anyone's language. One averages 22 HO a game and the other 9.
Smith’s games in the ruck for Geelong have been overall better than Stanley but you can’t compare their career HO stats, Stanley’s half season for us in 2015 would just about be the only year he’s been the main #1 ruck. Hopefully can do a little damage resting forward tomorrow, Hawk, Menzel, Cocky (if playing) & Stanley will test them.

Go find the quote again.

Here it is.

It's simply false. Hendo is one of our key defenders. With that I'm assuming you think Blicavs takes his place down back.
what was that in reply to?
context is important..

My guess for tomorrow is;
C Guthrie and Menegola out.
Cockatoo and Murdoch in.

I agree. At Torquay today to see them nearly throw that game away, and Thurlow 's red boots didn't do much to rock my world. So if that half he played was a hitout....nah. On the other hand, Jordy, Cockatoo and Stanley (with the new bub, hello FS) all looked pretty pumped watching on.

Go find the quote again.

Here it is.

It's simply false. Hendo is one of our key defenders. With that I'm assuming you think Blicavs takes his place down back.
Ok. When I read your post, I must have misread the comment you made about Blic- "should he not be playing" as if you were intimating he should not be playing if Harry and Hendo were available, so I replied that he would be selected ahead of Hendo every week.
I think we both agree that Hendo is the better defender. Or has been- Blic yet to prove himself.

Is Dangerfield 100% to play? Hope he does as he is good to watch, even if he is tearing it up. Selwood always gets your boys up for this game - no doubt he'll be fired up. Hoping for a tough hard game with no injuries. Enjoy.

Not a lot of discussion about Mitchell + how to shut him down.

Against Collingwood, Mitchell won nine clearances + took Hawks I50 on eight times.

In Rd1, Geelong was equal second for Contested Marks + sixth for Marks I50 mainly due Menzel. Whereas Hawks ranked 17th for Contested Marks taking six. Also, Geelong was the most efficient side going I50 with 27 scoring shots from 41 entries. Our 66% efficiency rate was way above other teams' average of 43%.

Hawks midfield focus on getting the ball to Mitchell, with their players hard on the opposition to prevent them tagging, tackling etc Mitchell. I'm guessing here, not knowing much about Mitchell, but what if we just tackled + tackled + tackled Mitchell? Is there any point of crowding him, shepherding our players who are tackling? Remember in past games, Geelong nullified the Midget Mitchell, by tackling him + he could not hack it. Midget became frustrated, caused turnovers + his impact was removed from the game.

I'm not asking if we should do that ^^^ I can see there'll be posters who will demolish my suggestion. But that's all it is, a suggestion.

How can we nullify Mitchell?

Besides keeping possession of the ball, with Selwood, Dangerfield + Ablett, moving it to our I50, then kicking goals. There are going to be times when Hawks midfield will prevail. How do we stop Mitchell moving the ball to their I50?

BTW reported that Shiels will play on Selwood.

HK.. I have not really studied TM and I did not see much of Hawks last week...so I cant really contribute. I suspect we will start with our mids going head to head and hope Stanley can nullify at worst in the ruck. To some degree that means we will roll with our guys playing loose trying to win the ball first , to play that way does mean at times Hawks will get first use. As a counter id have Guthrie prep. for the tag role if required.

Worrying about Rioli rofl.
When was the last time that crab did anything.

Not worth bothering about.
Crab... lol. I can see that. Crabbing sideways around congested contests.. Reason for that is he likes SPACE. That's why many of the exciting players are so good. They fight for space, they fight hard to get out of congestion. They 'sense' space, more than see it.

Don't agree he is not dangerous. Started off this year pretty good hasnt he? Healthy for the 1st time in 2 seasons?

Not in anyone's language. One averages 22 HO a game and the other 9.
View attachment 477682

Stanley averages a fraction more goals a game than Smith.

The same bloke that implied Blicavs was a better defender than Henderson.

I believe you're losing the plot.

And Smith averages more tackles which is no surprise.

Regarding the Stanley with Smith Comparison Stats, an acknowledgment would have been polite.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I assume Cocky is in as it's just been my gut feel since the teams were named.
Thurlow on standby means you'd think a Guth or Stewart aren't right.

I haven't been concerned with the current side, but if Joel or Danger aren't right I'd be concerned

I think Danger is right, he was discussing on his instagram stories this morning if he shaves off or keeps a Mo for the game so I assume that he's happy and fine

Cockatoo and Murdoch/Thurlow in and Guthrie/Stewart etc out isnt going to make or break the result
HK.. I have not really studied TM and I did not see much of Hawks last week...so I cant really contribute. I suspect we will start with our mids going head to head and hope Stanley can nullify at worst in the ruck. To some degree that means we will roll with our guys playing loose trying to win the ball first , to play that way does mean at times Hawks will get first use. As a counter id have Guthrie prep. for the tag role if required.

If Guthrie and Menegola are out we really have no tag options (as Scooter is out and Blitz has to play back) so we will have to run H2H.

gees what is it with hamstrings and calfs this year.
I don't think our limited preparation helps.

Add in the niggling or more serious injuries to Dangerfield, Ablett, Henderson, Scooter and now Taylor, Cuthrie and Jelwood with the change to the preseason format and we might not be able to build a fitness base to avoid soft tissue injuries.

Scary stuff with our win now objective.

Ideally, Scooter would be the best tag. If Cuthrie plays, I agree, would like to see him on Mitchell. Stanley + McEvoy are evenly matched for height + weight, McEvoy is one kilo heavier. From posts on our Board, it seems that McEvoy isn't that highly rated. We just need our Boyz to snaffle the ball at the centre bounce + focus on getting it forward + kicking goals. So with good, clean forward entries + no fluffing to cause turnovers. Would like to see Dangerfield play forward for some of the game. But mostly excited to see AbSellDangerDunc.

this thread needs more blake

hope the players are not as cagey as many posters in here
You're only saying that because we already have GAJ back in the fold.
Blake to GAJ...
Mouth-watering.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back