Records which will last forever

Remove this Banner Ad

The floodgates are about to fall on one-dayers, a team could chase down more in the right conditions. Australia also could have made 500 had Katich not opened, Gilchrist batted for longer or Lee not come in at #6.

Not every chasing team will have Mickey Lewis feeding them though.

The other interesting thing is that it's unlikely ever to happen when one of the minnows are playing for obvious reasons. The floodgates have not yet opened on big scores. Look at the CT.

400 has been passed twice since but that was SL against Holland and SA against Zim.

Yep Ok, I was unaware of that. But I think it will be broken.

Indeed I think Sinclair got a double hundred on debut.

Maybe Cosgrove can get the record for Australia.

And Yes. Thank god about 'two ships' getting bowled.

Good pick-up. So, highest score on debut FOR Australia ;)

Bob Massie's 16/137 on debut including 8/53 in the second innings.
Scorecard here http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/australia/content/match/63085.html

Sorry to break it to you, but this one's actually been broken by Narendra Hirwani of India, who beat Massie by taking 16/136 on his debut in 1987/88.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1987-88/WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T4_11-15JAN1988.html

Records that probably won't be broken (not previously mentioned);

*Wilfred Rhodes' 4204 FC wickets
*Sir Jack Hobbs' 60,000+ FC runs
*More than two triple centuries in the same inning (could be equalled, but not bettered - for the only instance so far, see http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/...AL/RANJI/SOUTH/GOA_TN_RJI-S_20-22JAN1989.html)
*Charlie McCartney's 231 runs in a single session on the 1921 Ashes tour
*Some partnership records: 433 for the 8th wicket by Trumper and Sims, and 307 for the 10th between Kippax and Hooker

Records that can/will be broken;

*Victoria's 1107 can be broken, especially in a match such as a shield final where the objective isn't necessarily to win, but to make sure the opposition can't win
*Hobbs' 197 centuries - but only if Graeme Hick plays until he's 65 (he's got 132 so far)
*Highest test partnership has been knocked off (also highest FC partnership), so this could conceivably go again.

Sorry to break it to you, but this one's actually been broken by Narendra Hirwani of India, who beat Massie by taking 16/136 on his debut in 1987/88.

http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1987-88/WI_IN_IND/WI_IND_T4_11-15JAN1988.html

Records that probably won't be broken (not previously mentioned);

*Wilfred Rhodes' 4204 FC wickets
*Sir Jack Hobbs' 60,000+ FC runs
*More than two triple centuries in the same inning (could be equalled, but not bettered - for the only instance so far, see http://aus.cricinfo.com/db/ARCHIVE/1980S/1988-89/IND_LOCAL/RANJI/SOUTH/GOA_TN_RJI-S_20-22JAN1989.html)
*Charlie McCartney's 231 runs in a single session on the 1921 Ashes tour
*Some partnership records: 433 for the 8th wicket by Trumper and Sims, and 307 for the 10th between Kippax and Hooker

Records that can/will be broken;

*Victoria's 1107 can be broken, especially in a match such as a shield final where the objective isn't necessarily to win, but to make sure the opposition can't win
*Hobbs' 197 centuries - but only if Graeme Hick plays until he's 65 (he's got 132 so far)
*Highest test partnership has been knocked off (also highest FC partnership), so this could conceivably go again.
This one went bloody close to being beaten, with the world record partnership, Sanga was dismissed only a few runs short of his 300

A few that come to mind:

- Highest score in both Test and First Class cricket. I think not since Bradman has one guy (Lara) held both. I guess it's possible someone will match it, but surpassing 501 is going to be tough.

- 7 First Class Hat-tricks. Achieved by English legspinner Doug Wright. That'll be hard to beat.

- 2 Hat-tricks in the same test by one bowler. Can't remember his name, but it happened in the 1912 Triangular Test tournament in England.

- Record First Class Team Score - As mentioned previously, Victoria's stupendous 1107. Can't see that falling anytime soon, mainly because there aren't timeless matches now.

A few that come to mind:

- Highest score in both Test and First Class cricket. I think not since Bradman has one guy (Lara) held both. I guess it's possible someone will match it, but surpassing 501 is going to be tough.

- 7 First Class Hat-tricks. Achieved by English legspinner Doug Wright. That'll be hard to beat.

- 2 Hat-tricks in the same test by one bowler. Can't remember his name, but it happened in the 1912 Triangular Test tournament in England.

- Record First Class Team Score - As mentioned previously, Victoria's stupendous 1107. Can't see that falling anytime soon, mainly because there aren't timeless matches now.
Gotta feeling this one could be broken, i mean Queensland could well have made about 1200 if they kept batting in the Cup final. I mean they got to 900 comfortably

what about the most runs scored in an ODI fron the recent Sa v Aus game the highest score made and then beaten is a freaky thing

Also Lara's combined 2 highest test scores 775 altho its not really a record but 375 and 400 there once in a lifetime innnings and he has 2 of them

This one went bloody close to being beaten, with the world record partnership, Sanga was dismissed only a few runs short of his 300

Went close to being equalled, but not beaten. To be beaten, there'd need to be three triple centuries in the innings!

I think it will be hard to beat Lara's 501*

Most people forget that in order to get his score, he had to endure a day of rain outs, resume on 111* and then smash a record 390 runs on the final day of the match. Sure, the rain made the outcome of the match inconsequential, and there was definitely some suss bowling by John Morris in the last over of the match in order for Lara to get ot 500, but it'd be hard to beat that. If it were to be broken though - my bet is that it'll be in a shield final or a test match. They're the only matches that allocate enough time for a real crack.

Went close to being equalled, but not beaten. To be beaten, there'd need to be three triple centuries in the innings!

I think it will be hard to beat Lara's 501*

Most people forget that in order to get his score, he had to endure a day of rain outs, resume on 111* and then smash a record 390 runs on the final day of the match. Sure, the rain made the outcome of the match inconsequential, and there was definitely some suss bowling by John Morris in the last over of the match in order for Lara to get ot 500, but it'd be hard to beat that. If it were to be broken though - my bet is that it'll be in a shield final or a test match. They're the only matches that allocate enough time for a real crack.

Well, if Hanif Mohammed could score 499 in a 1950s FC match then Lara's 501* can be topped. These sorts of highest test score or highest match aggregate scores or highest partnership records often happen in the sub-continent where there are tandem spinners used days on end (more overs) and certain teams tend to continue batting beyond a reasonable point purely to get records.

However, a rare breed of batter was Lara, who when making a century converted a lot of them into massive double and triple century efforts, and at speed too, unlike say Steve Waugh or Tendulkar. That type of player is what would be needed to break that record, not a textbook type of player peeling off 2s and 3s. Someone who can sustain aggressive hitting thruout the term of a double/triple century is very rare. FC sub-continent a better chance than Test Matches, where the bowling/fielding standard would be too high for that sort of behavior.

WTF! Don't like Dizzy's chances then, but apparently on the news last night, Stuart Clark said he wanted to play, but Gillespie and/or Cullen were the preferred option. Thats why he went home.

Love to see him line up at the GABBA in November, and then the Adelaide Oval soon after. He would bring the house down over here.
ooooh wouldnt he just :D

There are some remarkable stats there :eek: :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However, a rare breed of batter was Lara, who when making a century converted a lot of them into massive double and triple century efforts, and at speed too, unlike say Steve Waugh or Tendulkar. That type of player is what would be needed to break that record, not a textbook type of player peeling off 2s and 3s. Someone who can sustain aggressive hitting thruout the term of a double/triple century is very rare. FC sub-continent a better chance than Test Matches, where the bowling/fielding standard would be too high for that sort of behavior.

One thing that I sometimes forget about Lara is an almost pig-headedness when it comes to scoring runs. When he wants to get a massive score - odds are that he's gonna get one and there's nothing any bowler can do to stop him. It'd take a similar attitude to get a higher score - not a "let's go out to bat and see what happens" kind of approach.

On the note of Tendulkar, it always struck me as strange that he is such a massive accumulator of runs, but has a highest FC score of 'only' 248*.

One thing that I sometimes forget about Lara is an almost pig-headedness when it comes to scoring runs. When he wants to get a massive score - odds are that he's gonna get one and there's nothing any bowler can do to stop him. It'd take a similar attitude to get a higher score - not a "let's go out to bat and see what happens" kind of approach.

On the note of Tendulkar, it always struck me as strange that he is such a massive accumulator of runs, but has a highest FC score of 'only' 248*.

You're very right on both counts.

About Lara....very true, and a reason why in some ways he wasted his talent. He was destroying records whenever he put his mind to it. Whenever he truly focused on getting a big score he would get it with a conviction and aggression unlike many. His average etc are lofty, but I believe he could've been much better if he didn't let his lifestyle and intolerances get in the way.

About Sachin....it took him many years before he even got his first Test double century. I'm not sure how many 100s he had before he finally cracked it, but it's probably a record too. So many times he'd barge his way to a 100 and then 'call it quits'.

400 runs being made in both innings of a ODI

I can see that going pretty soon actually. Consider the following factors:

- smaller grounds
- flatter pitches
- crap bowling of most international teams
- superior design of bats
- no balls getting added to runs scored (eg hit a 4 off a noball and the score increases by 5)

I don't think it'll be long before 400 is broken again.

I can see that going pretty soon actually. Consider the following factors:

- smaller grounds
- flatter pitches
- crap bowling of most international teams
- superior design of bats
- no balls getting added to runs scored (eg hit a 4 off a noball and the score increases by 5)

I don't think it'll be long before 400 is broken again.

yeh i agree 400 will be broken again soon, but i doubt twice in a match

Remove this Banner Ad

Back