S.Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist (W)
Warne
Lillee
Marshal
McGrath
Lara surely makes that side.

Sangakkara and his one century against Australia (a Brett Lee-led attack, at that) from 21 innings... pretty easy omission as a non-keeper.

Gavaskar
Cook
Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Stokes
Pant
Imran Khan (c)
Hadlee
Kumble
Steyn

Australian XI needs to play somebody, hence our players are excluded.

• Banned
lol no Lara

Lara makes every best Test XI
Ponting was just as good, similar average, strike rate, more runs, more 100s, played in the same era, does he make every best test 11? How about Tendulkar? Also, who do you leave out of that side to accommodate him? Viv? Sangakkara? Smith? Kallis?

Sangakkara and his one century against Australia (a Brett Lee-led attack, at that) from 21 innings... pretty easy omission as a non-keeper.

Gavaskar
Cook
Richards
Tendulkar
Lara
Stokes
Pant
Imran Khan (c)
Hadlee
Kumble
Steyn

Australian XI needs to play somebody, hence our players are excluded.
Sangakkara averaged near 60 all up though, he did play 10 tests against the Bangers though so yes, he’s cut, Lara in

G. Smith
Haines
Lara
Richards (C)
S.Smith
Kallis
Gilchrist (W)
Warne
Lillee
Marshal
McGrath

who is 'haines' ?

massive task to fit in some world class players into an XI and all of the above are certainly worthy.

not a great representation of a world XI with only players from australia, west indies and south africa though.

maybe do a world XI to play ya aussie XI.

who is 'haines' ?

massive task to fit in some world class players into an XI and all of the above are certainly worthy.

not a great representation of a world XI with only players from australia, west indies and south africa though.

Sorry Haynes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

who is 'haines' ?

About the countries of selection, Australia and the West Indies have been the 2 most dominant sides over the last 50 years, West Indies were near unbeatable 70s-early 80s and the Australian team of 2001(ish) was possibly the greatest team to ever take the field so no wonder they dominate the numbers, the hardest part for me was the openers, Haydon has a better record than Smith and Haynes so does Gavaskar but probably splitting hairs, I looked at the England sides over the years and couldn’t find a worthy player, ditto India but Tendulka was close, obviously Murali and Sangakkara were in the mix but if I’m picking a spinner to save my life on turf I’m picking Warne every day of the week and turf is the most used wicket in test cricket, if they were playing on clay Murali would replace Warne.

Kallis picks himself, could bowl fast and averaged 57, probably the best all round cricketer of all time, was also an elite slip.

Last edited:
My best which includes Super Tests from WSC which was even higher standard than ICC Tests is below:

Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee

12th man Michael Holding

I started watching in World Series Cricket time of late 70's so even though only had a brief looks at Barry Richards he the best opener for mine.

My best which includes Super Tests from WSC which was even higher standard than ICC Tests is below:

Barry Richards
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Greg Chappell
Ricky Ponting
Allan Border
Adam Gilchrist
Wasim Akram
Richard Hadlee
Shane Warne
Dennis Lillee

12th man Michael Holding

I started watching in World Series Cricket time of late 70's so even though only had a brief looks at Barry Richards he the best opener for mine.
Marshal according to most experts is the second best fast bowler OAT after Lillee and probably McGrath, not 100% but I always thought Haynes was rated higher than Greenidge.

Marshal according to most experts is the second best fast bowler OAT after Lillee and probably McGrath, not 100% but I always thought Haynes was rated higher than Greenidge.
Dessie was a good bat, averaged 42, but Greenidge was destructive.

Dessie was a good bat, averaged 42, but Greenidge was destructive.
Average/strike rates almost identical over both formats, 18 to 19 100’s in tests, Greenidge averaged 5 more in ODI’s but Haynes hit a lot more centuries, I don’t think one was much better than the other.

I can't have Haynes at all.
There about 20 openers around his standard in my time of watching. He not even in contention in my thinking.

Not imho
Haynes is in with Gooch, Gavaskar and Hayden group but would have him behind all of them.
Marshall is just edged out by Wasim Akram and Hadlee.
I have Holding ahead of him as best Windies fast bowlers I seen. There not much betweeen them all but imho it is clear for me that Lillee, Hadlee and Wasim Akram are the three pace bowlers I would have been anyone else I seen. After that is splitting hairs between next group. McGrath next tier down for me with the Garner, Imran Khan, Marshall, Ambrose, Roberts and Donald group.

Not imho
Haynes is in with Gooch, Gavaskar and Hayden group but would have him behind all of them.
Marshall is just edged out by Wasim Akram and Hadlee.
I have Holding ahead of him as best Windies fast bowlers I seen. There not much betweeen them all but imho it is clear for me that Lillee, Hadlee and Wasim Akram are the three pace bowlers I would have been anyone else I seen. After that is splitting hairs between next group. McGrath next tier down for me with the Garner, Imran Khan, Marshall, Ambrose, Roberts and Donald group.
Shawn Pollock was right up there too, so was Dale Steyn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back