Club History Rewriting History Because SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

The way the local media carried on when we took full control backnof our club. ******* today tonight.

There was a straggler on the club Facebook a few weeks ago who was playing the whole, "the Magpies are dead, Port Power 1997" card.

When I pointed out that this was demonstrably untrue, the PAFC sought the licence, won it, underwent a corporate restructure as per governance requirements etc, he replied, "that's your opinion, it's subjective".

No. No it isn't. There are facts and there are feelings.

Seems petty to me but i do understand it, but honestly couldn't care less.
I do recall talking to some die hard Maggies supporters circa 2013-2014 and many were against the disbanding of the old Magpies re the PAFC Reserves team.
You only need to read the posts on the Maggies cheer squad page to see for yourself. Many felt hard done by and weren't to happy with the club.

https://www.facebook.com/PortAdelaideCheerSquad/

View attachment 394833[/QUOTE

What shits me the most about this post is the fact that during the last 10 years it was the SANFL clubs holding meetings behind the SANFL's back discussing how they could get rid of the Magpies. Once we agreed to the one club proposal our hands were tied and the Magpies were at the mercy of these clubs so to use a few Collingwood /St Kilda supporters as your argument is laughable.
I am a passionate Magpies supporter as anyone having gone every week up until 2014 so for people to blame the club are clueless

View attachment 392740

This caught my eye in today's Footy Budget. A revised win/loss record. WTF? .....
Fair enough.
The process is poor but the logic is unarguable. Our SANFL history is in the past, now it is a convenient place for our reserves.
If we had 3-4,000 of our own supporters turning up to home games and wearing Maggies merchandise we could make a more cogent argument against this.

I do recall talking to some die hard Maggies supporters circa 2013-2014 and many were against the disbanding of the old Magpies re the PAFC Reserves team.
You only need to read the posts on the Maggies cheer squad page to see for yourself. Many felt hard done by and weren't to happy with the club.

View attachment 394833

'Many'

27 likes

Hey SANFL guy, here's your problem

In 2010, The Port Adelaide Football Club wanted to formalise a Reserves team in the SANFL.

The Port Adelaide Football Club
formalised an agreement with the sanfl to internally restructure its team in the competition. The very fact that the sanfl calls it the Port Adelaide Football Club means the history of the team in the sanfl still stands.

It is just revisionist bullshit to suggest otherwise. Every time a sanfl club changed its zones - ie its internal structure as a football entity participating in the sanfl - did it become a new club?

There was a straggler on the club Facebook a few weeks ago who was playing the whole, "the Magpies are dead, Port Power 1997" card.

When I pointed out that this was demonstrably untrue, the PAFC sought the licence, won it, underwent a corporate restructure as per governance requirements etc, he replied, "that's your opinion, it's subjective".

No. No it isn't. There are facts and there are feelings.
I believe it's called "truthiness"

The reality is, the SANFL is a second tier competition and has been since 1991. It's not an alternative to the AFL. Kids don't grow up dreaming of playing in front of 2000 people in suburban Adelaide. In fact, nobody under 25 really gives a s**t about the SANFL. AFL Reserves teams are part of every other state league, why is the SANFL special? A Reserves League will only push their league down to a third tier, good luck with sponsorships, TV deals and losing players to country footy if that happens.

Reminds me of the Royal Croquet Club, Victoria Square debacle, complain about it when it was there during the Fringe, then piss and moan even more when they relocate and they lose business.

'Many'

27 likes

Fair point.
Reality is it's only a small minority of SANFL followers who make (made) a fuss about it (a noisy minority of Westies supporters). Even during the 2014 GF i only heard the odd Leggies supporter complain about playing a team of "full timers", I've never lost any sleep over it, and truth be told you guys are pretty well spot on, the SANFL's been a feeder league for the last 20 years.
Port's in the big league and good 'em because if any club deserved to be there PAFC is it. The club i loved to hate but absolutely respect, cheered for them when they won their first GF. Who knows, if PAFC had gotten in before the Crowies i might have been a Power man now.:thumbsu:

View attachment 394833

Couldn't care less ? Why did you bother looking and commenting on it ?
What a stupid argument you put up because a dozen St Kilda /Collingwood supporters aren't happy that the Port Adelaide Football Club is now playing in a national comp and not in a feeder comp playing in front of a man and a dog. It has been the small minded SANFL clubs trying to get rid of the Magpies for the last 10 years club presidents having meetings behind the SANFL's back. Pathetic

Couldn't care less ? Why did you bother looking and commenting on it ?
What a stupid argument you put up because a dozen St Kilda /Collingwood supporters aren't happy that the Port Adelaide Football Club is now playing in a national comp and not in a feeder comp playing in front of a man and a dog. It has been the small minded SANFL clubs trying to get rid of the Magpies for the last 10 years club presidents having meetings behind the SANFL's back. Pathetic

I read stuff on all the teams forums, "I couldn't careless" was in reference to some blokes revisionist agenda, i found it petty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The reality is, the SANFL is a second tier competition and has been since 1991. It's not an alternative to the AFL. Kids don't grow up dreaming of playing in front of 2000 people in suburban Adelaide. In fact, nobody under 25 really gives a s**t about the SANFL. AFL Reserves teams are part of every other state league, why is the SANFL special? A Reserves League will only push their league down to a third tier, good luck with sponsorships, TV deals and losing players to country footy if that happens.

Reminds me of the Royal Croquet Club, Victoria Square debacle, complain about it when it was there during the Fringe, then piss and moan even more when they relocate and they lose business.
The SANFL is like the British Empire. Struggling to deal with their decline and still thinking they rule things, when the rest of the world is looking to the new empire to shape the new world order.

You know you've royally screwed up when you prompt Graham Cornes to launch a passionate defence of Port Adelaide.

And it seems he's been listening:

IMG_4530.jpg

Except there's nothing 'ignorant' about it, especially in the context of provincial sausage sizzle-backed concerns who only survive because of AFL revenues incessantly telling Port Adelaide people to "pay what you owe".

And it seems he's been listening:

View attachment 395123

Except there's nothing 'ignorant' about it, especially in the context of provincial sausage sizzle-backed concerns who only survive because of AFL revenues incessantly telling Port Adelaide people to "pay what you owe".
Could not like this point anymore.....

Why the * should we have our existence questioned, threatened and almost almost taken away by the same angry mob of clubs who don't have a legit business model, income stream or appeal that we do aside from "Yeah nah the AFL will pay for it all"

West Adelaide get a massive 1500 people to a game with 6 in their cheer squad yet the organisations like this screech "financial miss management!!!11!.1!" at every opportunity despite literally being insolvent without AFL funds.... its so frustrating it makes you wish you had a baseball bat called Lucille...

Why the **** should we have our existence questioned, threatened and almost almost taken away by the same angry mob of clubs who don't have a legit business model, income stream or appeal that we do aside from "Yeah nah the AFL will pay for it all"

West Adelaide get a massive 1500 people to a game with 6 in their cheer squad yet the organisations like this screech "financial miss management!!!11!.1!" at every opportunity despite literally being insolvent without AFL funds.... its so frustrating it makes you wish you had a baseball bat called Lucille...

Lol, it wasn't so long ago that up to $150,000 went missing from the coffers at Westies - it just simply vanished - and none of the dolts down there had any idea what happened, where it went and who was responsible for this brazen heist...

...it later emerged a club employee pilfered the ca$h and his family paid it back.

Why the **** should we have our existence questioned, threatened and almost almost taken away by the same angry mob of clubs who don't have a legit business model, income stream or appeal that we do aside from "Yeah nah the AFL will pay for it all"

They're almost insolvent with AFL funds.

BWAHAHA!!!
So, the reset lasted, what, a whole week or two?
Still would like to know if old mate just arbitrarily decided this.
Or if the SANFL was in on it and then just threw him under the bus when s**t got hot, lol...

KT spoke about it at the Club 1870 and he was deadset angry about. He was assured by sanfl directors they knew nothing about it.

BWAHAHA!!!
So, the reset lasted, what, a whole week or two?
Still would like to know if old mate just arbitrarily decided this.
Or if the SANFL was in on it and then just threw him under the bus when s**t got hot, lol...

I would go with thrown under the bus. I can just imagine the $NAFL trying it on to see what, if any reaction they would get.

KT spoke about it at the Club 1870 and he was deadset angry about. He was assured by sanfl directors they knew nothing about it.

I call bullshit (from the directors not KT). Surely the editor for the Budget would have spoken to someone in authority about it before printing it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back