Analysis Richmond has become home of the list-clogger, writes David King

Remove this Banner Ad

I call the finish position where you are after finals have been played. Couldn't win a final to save ourselves. And I watched a game vs StKilda late 2016. Horrible. It looked like peaked in 2015 and were going backwards. As many a club does. Adelaide, Melbourne to name a couple.

I agree re finishing positions. But percentage of games won and % does give some sort of substantial clue to how well you are going as well.

2016 maybe it is just me, but what I saw was Houli, Deledio miss half the season, Maric just about the whole season, Conca most of the season, McIntosh missed most of the season, Chaplin trying to play when he was finished, Hampson playing a whole season about as physically imposing as a hippy wearing daisy chains, the 3 key forwards not working, some never good enough players playing loads of games because the kids weren’t ready, BUT all the guns staying and the promise a lot of these kids showed I thought gave some real hope, especially as they seemed to have a lot more dash about them than a lot of our fringe players who played bulk games.

Just about everyone on the list was given a game eventually and it was clear the club was working out who to keep and who to dump while maxing its trade hand from mid to late season. Loads of youngsters were thrown into unsuitable roles where they were smashed in a team that generally wasn’t functioning well. But I do recall vividly thinking Rioli, Short, Castagna Menadue and Markov in particular showed plenty enough to be encouraged by in their first or second seasons.

I just thought it is as simple as this, we get a physical ruckman up and going, pick up a good player in the trade period as was foreshadowed, have a bit better run with injuries and they sort out which of those kids are worth investing in and they kick on, we have a team capable of finishing top 6 at best or maybe just out of the 8 if a few things go wrong. I wasn’t thinking flags but I thought the pessimism around Richmond was astonishing. King’s comments about our list just made me think what a f*cking idiot, Mike Williamson’s Jack the blind miner can see that isn’t right.

Surely there are plenty of ways to engage people without dressing complete nonsense up as analysis. There are loads of controversial things you could say about any club that are actually debatable, as this site proves daily.
In the post truth world I get more out of bigfooy than MSM. Although I am not in Victoria

Its easy to look back in hindsight and see any number of callous that turned out to be wrong. To be fair, a lot of criticism at the time was true. Our club before 2017 was extremely poor performing for close to 40 years, we all know that.

What we've done to turn it around is still something I dont always believe. This is the era of our lifetime.

You're right in the sense that everyone makes mistakes, but there is also the point that these people hold themselves up as experts who know what they write about.

That they get things so spectacularly wrong says a lot about how valid that claim is. (or more to the point isn't)

The glass half full?

I reckon Kingy would be feeling pretty good about the above assessment and saying to all of us 'Now you are listening!'. He told us to stop recruiting average players from other clubs and even pointed out who we should get!

In the para on Conca he said we had missed Josh Caddy, Dion Prestia and Tom Lynch and what did our recruiters do? they went and got those blokes and the result? 3 premierships in 4 years ...

High fives Kingy (or high elbows in Covid). Your method of informed assessing has a rather 'kick them in the balls' feel about it but you mixed at least one genius gem in your review.

easy to beat up on the spare parts players

I remember back a few years now

Dimma was asked about the clubs recruiting strategy as we always seemed to be shopping in the bargain bin for recycled players
We were pulling our hair out on here , so one of the jurno’s must have asked

Dimma’s comments were something along the lines “ if you go for a big fish you invariably lose a couple going the other way “
“so you should only chase the big fish when your premiership window is well and truly open “

My take away was they were building depth bit by bit
They were being responsible with the budget and salary cap
And they were realistic , we weren’t there yet
The getting of Caddy , Lynch & Prestia showed a changing in mindset

The “depth players” certainly lifted the standard of our seconds
I think that has helped the club as a whole , they look like the top side in the way they play and behave
And they are happy doing it , well they were when we had a VFL side running around

Remember back to our dark days and Coburg couldn’t make the finals

Can someone make a "Liam stocker OOC 2021" thread on draft board. Cheers

easy to beat up on the spare parts players

I remember back a few years now

Dimma was asked about the clubs recruiting strategy as we always seemed to be shopping in the bargain bin for recycled players
We were pulling our hair out on here , so one of the jurno’s must have asked

Dimma’s comments were something along the lines “ if you go for a big fish you invariably lose a couple going the other way “
“so you should only chase the big fish when your premiership window is well and truly open “

My take away was they were building depth bit by bit
They were being responsible with the budget and salary cap
And they were realistic , we weren’t there yet
The getting of Caddy , Lynch & Prestia showed a changing in mindset

The “depth players” certainly lifted the standard of our seconds
I think that has helped the club as a whole , they look like the top side in the way they play and behave
And they are happy doing it , well they were when we had a VFL side running around

Remember back to our dark days and Coburg couldn’t make the finals
Nankervis was also a genius bit of recruiting. Balme was a masterstroke inclusion and then adding fresh new assistants was also of great importance to us. I was bitter on here up to 2016, but i honestly believed and stated it on here that with our recruits we would win the flag in 2018. We pulled it off in 17 with a genius new mosquito fleet game plan of dirty old fashioned wet weather footy type, but with lots of speed and acceleration closing in on the opposition. No team has been able to match it yet as we have the right chess pieces with fitness as well as plenty of backup. We failed in 2018, although it was our best season in almost forty years . This was bc injuries and illnesses crept in at the wrong time of the year. We also played injured players against the Pies in the PF , which Balme said afterwards we didn't back our depth on the list and it wouldn't happen again. Hence Graham misses the 2019 GF was where the club learnt from previous mistakes and backed their best 22 fittest players although the game turned out to be a whitewash. It's been more about the professional footy department that was built in 2016 ends with also Benny Gale being a smart operator. He took us out of debt first , arranged big sponsors and then spent the bucks where we needed most, being players. I never thought we would be an empire like the late 60's to early 80's, but this IMO has surpassed those awesome days and beating Geelong in a GF again and with an Ablett in the team was pure bliss as that family had incurred so many wounds to us{ including fans) for four decades.

Nankervis was also a genius bit of recruiting. Balme was a masterstroke inclusion and then adding fresh new assistants was also of great importance to us. I was bitter on here up to 2016, but i honestly believed and stated it on here that with our recruits we would win the flag in 2018. We pulled it off in 17 with a genius new mosquito fleet game plan of dirty old fashioned wet weather footy type, but with lots of speed and acceleration closing in on the opposition. No team has been able to match it yet as we have the right chess pieces with fitness as well as plenty of backup. We failed in 2018, although it was our best season in almost forty years . This was bc injuries and illnesses crept in at the wrong time of the year. We also played injured players against the Pies in the PF , which Balme said afterwards we didn't back our depth on the list and it wouldn't happen again. Hence Graham misses the 2019 GF was where the club learnt from previous mistakes and backed their best 22 fittest players although the game turned out to be a whitewash. It's been more about the professional footy department that was built in 2016 ends with also Benny Gale being a smart operator. He took us out of debt first , arranged big sponsors and then spent the bucks where we needed most, being players. I never thought we would be an empire like the late 60's to early 80's, but this IMO has surpassed those awesome days and beating Geelong in a GF again and with an Ablett in the team was pure bliss as that family had incurred so many wounds to us{ including fans) for four decades.
Welcome back, I made a motza on 2017 I had us top 4 , but a flag wasn’t even in my dreams, even grand final day when the cows started with one two goals , I thought oh well , I just hope we dont embarrass ourselves, but * me what a ride since

Welcome back, I made a motza on 2017 I had us top 4 , but a flag wasn’t even in my dreams, even grand final day when the cows started with one two goals , I thought oh well , I just hope we dont embarrass ourselves, but fu** me what a ride since
Thanks. After we beat Geelong in the QF I knew we would win it. I just saw us building slowly and slowly and if we could beat our nemesis Geelong we could beat anyone. We had a great weekend that week mate and us old bastards have ridden the wave since. :cool:

Welcome back, I made a motza on 2017 I had us top 4 , but a flag wasn’t even in my dreams, even grand final day when the cows started with one two goals , I thought oh well , I just hope we dont embarrass ourselves, but fu** me what a ride since
I predicted a Richmond dynasty. But I was a year too early...

Still it was worth the wait.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I predicted a Richmond dynasty. But I was a year too early...

Still it was worth the wait.
My bet on top 4 was speculative, I didn’t expect it , but pleasantly surprised

I admit I wasn't keen on waiting at the time. I swore I'd give up on footy back in 2016.

My favourite part of all of this was a guy I know who I played cricket with, he was a heart and soul Tiger all his life, born around mid 70’s, would have been a member forever, deceased father was a Tiger etc. Good little fella, but had taken on a ready made family and I think one of the kids supported the Bombers. He just couldn’t take any more after things went wrong in 2016. I said to him don’t worry we have picked up some nice players and I think we are on the right track here. He said Nankervis was the absolute last straw for him, shocking recruit, what is the club thinking. I said I have seen him play and whilst 4th in line at Sydney he is as good as any of them. He wasn’t having it.

So he has done the unthinkable. The footy supporters equivalent of the Burke and Wills base camp. He switched to the Bombers. Photos appeared on Facebook of him proudly but shamefully adorned in a bomber guernsey.

I never fail to refer to him as “Bomber” now and always remind him how unlucky could he be to sell out right as the Tiger was about to start roaring again. 😂😂

He claims he is a true blue Tiger but laughs nervously when reminded of his fling with the Bombers. Deledio like timing. 😩😩😩

My favourite part of all of this was a guy I know who I played cricket with, he was a heart and soul Tiger all his life, born around mid 70’s, would have been a member forever, deceased father was a Tiger etc. Good little fella, but had taken on a ready made family and I think one of the kids supported the Bombers. He just couldn’t take any more after things went wrong in 2016. I said to him don’t worry we have picked up some nice players and I think we are on the right track here. He said Nankervis was the absolute last straw for him, shocking recruit, what is the club thinking. I said I have seen him play and whilst 4th in line at Sydney he is as good as any of them. He wasn’t having it.

So he has done the unthinkable. The footy supporters equivalent of the Burke and Wills base camp. He switched to the Bombers. Photos appeared on Facebook of him proudly but shamefully adorned in a bomber guernsey.

I never fail to refer to him as “Bomber” now and always remind him how unlucky could he be to sell out right as the Tiger was about to start roaring again. 😂😂

He claims he is a true blue Tiger but laughs nervously when reminded of his fling with the Bombers. Deledio like timing. 😩😩😩
That's absolute gold MR. Essendon of all clubs to lower yourself to, must only of meant the poor bastard was near suicidal.

Last edited:

never let him forget.

Adelaide is hoping to come last to get Horne at pick 1.

Richmond will be disappointed if they don't win 3rd straight flag this season, post the 17' grand final.

It's panned out pretty well since rance did the bruce lee spoil on a leading Tex walker

Thanks. After we beat Geelong in the QF I knew we would win it. I just saw us building slowly and slowly and if we could beat our nemesis Geelong we could beat anyone. We had a great weekend that week mate and us old bastards have ridden the wave since. :cool:
Welcome back mate hope all is well now. Place is better with a flog like you in it ;)

I reckon 2016 caused us to become better than we would have otherwise. We probably recruit Prestia and Nank even if we play finals in 2016 but probably no caddy, might have kept Deledio and probably still have list cloggers. 2016 made us complete a mini rebuild on a list about to peak. It changed our mentality around young and inexperienced players and ultimately has stopped us from resting on our laurels. 2018 was an extra punch in the guts to remind us not to stop improving and trialling new talent.

I reckon 2016 caused us to become better than we would have otherwise. We probably recruit Prestia and Nank even if we play finals in 2016 but probably no caddy, might have kept Deledio and probably still have list cloggers. 2016 made us complete a mini rebuild on a list about to peak. It changed our mentality around young and inexperienced players and ultimately has stopped us from resting on our laurels. 2018 was an extra punch in the guts to remind us not to stop improving and trialling new talent.

Agree. But 2019 proved that playing the kids was a good strategy. Our list strengthened and we we're afraid of trades cause of our depth. It also forces a development mindset, if you play kids you have to focus on development and moving forward. Until all the injuries we were a bit unwilling to trust the young guys. now it's all guns blazing. If we reckon you can go you can go

Remove this Banner Ad

Back