News Richmond Media Articles - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you mean an ex bomber wanting the Essendon players cleared. Good luck with that. Aint going to happen.
And Watson there is no controversy he cheated and was duly stripped of his medal.
Cotchin only got his brownlow because of the WADA ban. The yanks are onto this Chinese thing and if and when the orange man gets in they'll go after all their convictions separatly to NLM

Honestly, i'd have no problem with it. I think it was all bullshit and based around how the AFL has effectively been covering up drug use since then its a f-ing joke. The players were never actively cheating, they had no idea. I'd have no issue with Watson getting his Brownlow back either, especially if it didn't deactivate Cotchins etc.

When the Bummers Drug situation happened, i was all for them getting punished to hell/ But as the time has rolled on and seeing how corrupt the AFL has been since then, i no longer feel the same. I don't trust the AFL at all, i have seen them throw others under the bus and can see now that they likely did the same to the Bombers. And their actions around drugs since then has been a abosolute f-ing joke. The fact they never really looked through Geelong after Dank was there first, shows how corrupt they are. As the decades have rolled on, we have seen how differently the cattery gets treated etc

no skin off my nose if those blokes are redeemed, especially Watson. Nothing about Jobe Watson screams cheat to me, always felt bad for him
We didn't exactly help ourselves

We didn't exactly help ourselves
That’s the understatement of the year!

The club was completely duped by Dank. He was employed to enhance the performance of players with pharmacological substances. Any idiot would know that any substance that does that is automatically a performance enhancing drug and is almost certainly banned. But the club believed his bullshit and he was allowed to do what he wanted unchecked. He basically gave the players anything he wanted and if they asked him what it was he told them it was just vitamins and “amino acids”. Those amino acids were peptides. Banned peptides. They included hexarelin, GHRP 2 and 6 amongst other things. The players had no idea. Eventually they got suspicious. They were getting stronger, faster and had voracious appetites. The players were so suspicious that they wanted to make sure that the gear they were taking was above board and so they created a consent form to protect them. Ironically the wording of that consent is what sank the 34 players that signed them.
Essendon as a club sent those 34 players to the cleaners. They didn’t have any system in place to know what actually was being given to the players. Not a single invoice was kept of what was purchased. They had no idea of what was being administered. It’s actually a disgrace what they did to the players.

I had a lot of inside information on this saga. Stuff that never really came out in the media. I personally knew a key witness in this and I have proof that I knew about this almost 12 months before "the darkest day in football".

Anyway, bottom line, the Essendon players were given banned substances. However, they had no idea they were banned. I know this for a fact and this is why they claim they are innocent.

As for their ban, they were guilty of breaking WADA rules and thus deserve their ban. Thirty-four players signed consents that had them consenting to have thymosin. That thymosin was proven to be Thymosin Beta 4. Essendon claimed it was Thymosin Alpha which was used back then for AIDS patients. They had zero proof that that was the case. Even Dank never said it was Thymosin Alpha. He claimed it was Thymomodulin, a completely different substance (although again no proof that it was that either).

So you cannot consent to have a banned substance (even unknowingly). That is breaking WADA rules. That is why they cannot be cleared even though they never had a positive blood test. You don't need a positive blood test to receive a ban.
You sound like a wada prosecutor. The amount of people that have "inside knowledge" but no actual proof is a mile long.

Honestly, i'd have no problem with it. I think it was all bullshit and based around how the AFL has effectively been covering up drug use since then its a f-ing joke. The players were never actively cheating, they had no idea. I'd have no issue with Watson getting his Brownlow back either, especially if it didn't deactivate Cotchins etc.

When the Bummers Drug situation happened, i was all for them getting punished to hell/ But as the time has rolled on and seeing how corrupt the AFL has been since then, i no longer feel the same. I don't trust the AFL at all, i have seen them throw others under the bus and can see now that they likely did the same to the Bombers. And their actions around drugs since then has been a abosolute f-ing joke. The fact they never really looked through Geelong after Dank was there first, shows how corrupt they are. As the decades have rolled on, we have seen how differently the cattery gets treated etc

no skin off my nose if those blokes are redeemed, especially Watson. Nothing about Jobe Watson screams cheat to me, always felt bad for him
It wasn’t the AFL that banned them, the AFL”independent tribunal” found them innocent , the AFL wanted it to go away and tried the cover up , It was a Non AFL body that nailed them , they were guilty, why were none of the players including Watson able to reproduce the speed, strength and stamina after they got caught?

We all know the why, PEDs

We were found guilty by a corrupt institution. We were also punished twice for testing negative
The Corrupt Organisation the AFL found you guys innocent , get off your high horse, the 34 are CONVICTED drug cheats

And further to that we are the ONLY country in the world that employs a Convicted drug cheat as an expert commentator in the sport, that says a lot about Australia, and their whiter than white attitude

The Corrupt Organisation the AFL found you guys innocent , get off your high horse, the 34 are CONVICTED drug cheats

And further to that we are the ONLY country in the world that employs a Convicted drug cheat as an expert commentator in the sport, that says a lot about Australia, and their whiter than white attitude

It wasn’t the AFL that banned them, the AFL”independent tribunal” found them innocent , the AFL wanted it to go away and tried the cover up , It was a Non AFL body that nailed them , they were guilty, why were none of the players including Watson able to reproduce the speed, strength and stamina after they got caught?

We all know the why, PEDs
The AFL independent tribunal was limited to facts not innuendo which is why they were found innocent. So Watson never played good footy afterwards?

Let me guess mate, you're a male feminist with a uni degree?

Don't forget Wayne Carey.. pretty substantial rap sheet.

Channel 7 is like a half way house for ex cons.

Who's next Bomber Thompson? Ben Cousins

cosmo-kramer-head-nod.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL Old Boys Club loves these slow thinking slow talking cooo...mm..en...tat...ta...tators... like Watson and Duckwood...
Both not intelligent to raise issues that may embarrass the AFL...and both are former Captains of their respective sides!!!

That’s the understatement of the year!

The club was completely duped by Dank. He was employed to enhance the performance of players with pharmacological substances. Any idiot would know that any substance that does that is automatically a performance enhancing drug and is almost certainly banned. But the club believed his bullshit and he was allowed to do what he wanted unchecked. He basically gave the players anything he wanted and if they asked him what it was he told them it was just vitamins and “amino acids”. Those amino acids were peptides. Banned peptides. They included hexarelin, GHRP 2 and 6 amongst other things. The players had no idea. Eventually they got suspicious. They were getting stronger, faster and had voracious appetites. The players were so suspicious that they wanted to make sure that the gear they were taking was above board and so they created a consent form to protect them. Ironically the wording of that consent is what sank the 34 players that signed them.
Essendon as a club sent those 34 players to the cleaners. They didn’t have any system in place to know what actually was being given to the players. Not a single invoice was kept of what was purchased. They had no idea of what was being administered. It’s actually a disgrace what they did to the players.
I love the word Voracious. Where would one get some of these 'amino acids'?

The moment star Tiger would want back in horror loss to Dogs​

If Adem Yze is ever going to tear strips off his team, this should have been the night to do it.
The rookie coach had seen his Tigers eaten alive by a Western Bulldogs team that week earlier been beaten by another bottom-four side.

Richmond’s 91-point defeat on Saturday night is the heaviest loss by any team this year, worse than anything North Melbourne has produced in their winless season.
It is their biggest loss since the 113-point drubbing against Sydney to finish off their annus horribilis of 2016. Back then, the club overcame tumult, backed in Damien Hardwick and embarked on a golden era.

The way the Tigers played on Saturday night, they would have struggled to beat even the Kangaroos.
Those of the yellow and black persuasion in the crowd of 38,007 who stayed to the end should be commended.
Throughout their previous seven defeats, Richmond had performed admirably while undermanned, competing hard only to be overwhelmed late by more experienced teams. Not so against the Dogs.
The numbers were damning. How can a team have 116 fewer possessions yet lose the tackle count by nine? Yze said it was through a lack of effort, even if many of the attempts to stick tackles on the Bulldogs left much to be desired.
In some cases, there were half-hearted attempts to chase. Even the great Dustin Martin was afflicted.

Yze, at least publicly, adopted a more conciliatory tone, though he may be more frank behind closed doors at the team review.
“They broke a lot of our tackles, that just becomes an ineffective tackle – that’s why our tackle numbers were low,” Yze said.

“Our attempted tackles were OK, and our method around, they just owned the ball a bit too much – 115 uncontested marks tested our defence. They kept the ball off us when we needed to.”
Tackling is often the barometer of a team’s endeavour, but Yze said he could not fault his team in this area.

“If it was around effort and intent then you would be a little worried, but I can’t doubt that with our players,” Yze said. “I can’t fault that. I can see some frustration with our execution. I just don’t want that to dip our spirit.”
Yze played during a time when sprays from coaches were common. The players of today do not react as well.

Perhaps that explains why Yze opted for the carrot instead of the stick to Shai Bolton, whose first half was close to the worst of his career. All Bolton had to show at half-time on the stats sheet was one effective kick.
Worse still, he gave what appeared to be a blistering bake to young Seth Campbell for turning the ball over attempting to find Bolton, who would have streamed into an open goal.

It’s hard to tell from the stands exactly what was said, but it was not a good look to have an All Australian and dual premiership player yelling and waving his arms in such a demonstrable manner to a rookie who had just made a blue in his ninth game.
Yze, though, showed Bolton the empathy his star player did not demonstrate to his younger teammate.
“In the end, our players give some feedback out there, they move on,” Yze said. “They spoke about it afterwards. He cares a lot about our footy club. He wants us to improve. He wants us to be better. I can’t deny him showing that love for his footy club with an outburst, with frustration.”
“I’d be more worried if he didn’t try as hard as he did in the second half. He was terrific for us.”

To Bolton’s credit, he was among Richmond’s better players when the floodgates opened for the Dogs, whose lead blew out to triple figures late in the last term, with 15 possessions and two goals after half-time.
When another rookie Mykelti Lefau sprayed a pass to him out on the full in the third quarter, Bolton put his hand up to acknowledge the error.
A horror night was compounded by injuries to Jack Graham, Sam Banks and Maurice Rioli, the latter occurring the dying minutes of the game when he hurt his ankle in a tackle. They join Tom Lynch, Tim Taranto, Jacob Hopper and Jack Ross on a lengthy injury list.
Graham faces another stint on the sidelines with tightness in the same hamstring he injured on the eve of ANZAC Day.

Banks was knocked out cold in a nasty clash with Tim English, who accidentally tunnelled him after being pushed in a marking contest by Noah Balta. Banks was walking in the rooms, the club said, after being stretchered off but will miss next week under the league’s concussion protocols.
Bulldogs coach Luke Beveridge and his team found temporary relief after an emphatic response to their poor performance against Hawthorn, but next week’s assignment against Greater Western Sydney will provide a more accurate gauge.
“Richmond have got some real challenges with their injury toll,” Beveridge said. “We know going up to Sydney will be different.”

You sound like a wada prosecutor. The amount of people that have "inside knowledge" but no actual proof is a mile long.
The difference is I have proof that I knew about this almost a year before it occurred. Obviously, I can't post it online, so it comes down to trust. A good friend of mine was a key ASADA witness. He asked me about the drugs that he was told they were being injected with because I'm a doctor and that's how I became involved. You may not believe me but that is exactly how it went down. It makes sense too. The club believed Dank. The players believed the club. They felt they had not done anything wrong because they followed what the club told them to the letter. They didn't try to cheat. They were the victims of a guy whose record speaks for itself. He was at the Cronulla Sharks just prior to Essendon giving them the same banned drugs. Open your eyes. The evidence is very clear. As an employee whose job is dependent on results, there's only one way that injections get results and that is to use substances that really do enhance performance.

The problem is Essendon supporters refuse to look at it logically. They are too invested in their club to admit it failed the players miserably.

Uncertain future driving Richmond forward, again​

“Hopefully I’ll be at the football club for a lot longer.”​

After playing for his future last year, Richmond's Rhyan Mansell finds himself in the same position in 2024, and he's using the uncertainty to drive himself forward.

Having cemented a role in the Tigers' senior side last year, Mansell put pen to paper on a new one-year in the middle of the trade period to extend his tenure at Punt Road.

The Tasmanian's prospects for this season got off on the right foot in the pre-season, with Mansell shining at the club's intra-club to emerge as Adem Yze's leading small forward weapon for the season ahead.

A syndesmosis injury prior to Round 1 curtailed Mansell's season, but he has since returned to make his mark in a struggling Richmond outfit.

The 23-year-old hasn't taken the easy route to get to 40 AFL games, having been passed on by North Melbourne as a Next Generation Academy prospect before venturing to South Australia to keep his dream alive.

The North Launceston native gained the interest of the Tigers in 2021 after a promising spell in the SANFL with Woodville-West Torrens, with the uneasy way often a driving factor behind Mansell's rise.

Speaking to Zero Hanger, Mansell said he has managed to find motivation in a period of unpredictability.

"Last year I had a bit of a focus on it, it motivated me," the Tigers forward said of being without a contract.

"You always want to play your strongest, but knowing you're out of a contract you want to play good football. I felt like I did that and was fortunate enough to get another contract.

"This year I guess it's the same thing. I'm just motivated to do my best for the team and by doing that hopefully I'll be at the football club for a lot longer."

While Richmond continue searching for their second win of the season, Mansell is playing career-best football after starting his time in yellow and black as a defender before switching forward.

The young Tiger is just scratching the surface and is hoping to reach further heights before the season is over.

"I feel like I'm starting to regain form after that injury," he said.

"My match fitness was probably the best its felt on Saturday night.

"I feel like I'm heading towards the right direction and hopefully setting up for having a strong year this year."

Mansell is helping lead the new era of Tigers small forwards after the shift from premiership crop Daniel Rioli, Dan Butler, Jason Castagna and Josh Caddy.

With Maurice Rioli, Seth Campbell and the uncapped Steely Green joining Mansell as the goalsneak Tiger cubs, the club is confident its future is in safe hands.

But the Tigers have been able to rely on the past to aid their push forward, with triple-premiership hard-nut Kane Lambert playing a significant role in the development of Richmond's emerging youngsters.

"Kane's done a lot of work with the likes of Seth Campbell and Steely Green, and for Maurice and myself we've been around for a few years while he's been midfield coach," Mansell said of the Tigers assistant.

"He helps us out and has been better for the younger boys, that's why we're seeing them showcase how they play and the strengths that they bring.

"Hopefully Steely gets an opportunity soon. We've seen Seth, he's going to be a promising young player for the football club in the future."

Mansell, a Palawa Indigenous Australian, will don Richmond's 2024 guernsey designed by Maurice Rioli and his mother, Alberta Kerinauia, across Sir Doug Nicholls Round across the next two weeks.

Richmond will face Brisbane in Queensland this week before the highly-anticipated Dreamtime clash against Essendon at the MCG in Round 11.

For Mansell, there's no better occasion on the calendar than having the chance to represent his people on the big stage.

"I'm looking forward to it. It's going to be my second Dreamtime," Mansell said.

"I'll have family over, so it'll be a proud moment running out onto the ground, the pre-game stuff is unbelievable. It's probably my favourite thing of the year.

"We've obviously got a lot of brothers that play at Richmond. So everyone's keen to get out there and wear Maurice's guernsey for him. Unfortunately, he won't be wearing it but we're keen to do him proud while we wear it."

‘Got to be careful’: Big issue with Tigers slander... and the brutal list calls looming large'​

"The prevalence of soft-tissue complaints not only this season but in yesteryears has members of the Tiger Army questioning the club’s conditioning staff, led by physical performance manager Luke Meehan."

Looks like Johnson has been lurking on this board.

So keep hearing the same thing from the media "it's going to take 5 years"

And it may take 5 years

But we may also get a better conditioning team.
Get a new focus with a new CEO.
Have a year with far less injuries. Fit gibcus taranto Hopper and lynch
Some talent via uncontacted players in the PSD
Get a few good draft picks and keep some pretty decent players.
Get a few new assistant coaches in the door.

And have a blitzing year in 2025

So keep hearing the same thing from the media "it's going to take 5 years"

And it may take 5 years

But we may also get a better conditioning team.
Get a new focus with a new CEO.
Have a year with far less injuries. Fit gibcus taranto Hopper and lynch
Some talent via uncontacted players in the PSD
Get a few good draft picks and keep some pretty decent players.
Get a few new assistant coaches in the door.

And have a blitzing year in 2025
And all this before the Tassy Tsunami hits the AFL Comp!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back