Opinion Riddle me this: Why are we playing WCE at Marvel?

Remove this Banner Ad

Next Sunday is the Mothers’ Day match which we’re playing this year against WCE at Marvel.

WCE are a team resurgent. They just got to within a kick against a team we drew against last week.

We have a bit of a rivalry with WCE, especially after 2018.

It’s potentially a cracking game, with ‘the old master’ N.Daicos facing off against ‘rising star’ Harley Reid which will surely be the story of the round.

If this were played at the MCG it would surely break attendance records. The biggest H&A crowd WCE have ever played in front of is 63K.

I get that we need to share the MCG around …

… but the MCG will be vacant on the day!!!1!

And surely given the choice, WCE would much rather play an away game at the MCG instead of Marvel. They’ve always been complaining that they don’t get enough games at the MCG.

Move the game to the MCG and make everybody happy!

The AFL are clueless and a poorly run organization.

The reigning Premiers with the biggest membership playing a home game at Marvel.

The TV argument is nonsense given some of the MCG games this season.

No doubt costs less to the AFL to play the game at Marvel, and since attendance will be far reduced compared to two Melbourne clubs playing, (as well as being Mothers Day) this won't affect the attendance numbers.
Therefore, AFL has calculated that it will be more profitable to play at Marvel.
Second reason is to provide equality in the fixture: ie equalising the number of games each team plays at its preferred ground. Maybe this was necessary to even up the balance of our MCG games.

The AFL are clueless and a poorly run organization.

The reigning Premiers with the biggest membership playing a home game at Marvel.

The TV argument is nonsense given some of the MCG games this season.

Our fixture is the best of any club in terms of prime time slots and “blockbusters”. Every team has to play a few Sunday games. 2 out of 15 isn’t bad. Against last year’s 2 bottom teams.

Couldn’t think of a better way to schedule them.

Look forward to the whining when we have consecutive 6 day breaks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would rather play all home games at the G, but if we have to play 2 at Marvel, this should be one of them

• Mother's day
  • Bottom 4 side
  • would rather play interstate side at Marvel then a Marvel tenant

Despite our incredible crowds last year, we only got 37k if I recall correctly against GWS on Mothers day.
It's usually a pretty bad day for crowds

Yep. Most other Vic teams vs interstate would barely get 20 k on Mother’s Day. Collingwood will still draw a crowd that is respectable given the circumstances.

Next Sunday is the Mothers’ Day match which we’re playing this year against WCE at Marvel.

WCE are a team resurgent. They just got to within a kick against a team we drew against last week.

It’s potentially a cracking game, with ‘the old master’ N.Daicos facing off against ‘rising star’ Harley Reid which will surely be the story of the round.

If this were played at the MCG it would surely break attendance records. The biggest H&A crowd WCE have ever played in front of is 63K.

And surely given the choice, WCE would much rather play an away game at the MCG instead of Marvel. They’ve always been complaining that they don’t get enough games at the MCG.

We’re contractually required to play 2 home games at Marvel every year. I’d much rather be playing WC there as one of those home games than a Marvel tennant like St Kilda or the Dogs, which has happened in the past. Those are the games to be complaining about, not this one.

Our fixture is the best of any club in terms of prime time slots and “blockbusters”. Every team has to play a few Sunday games. 2 out of 15 isn’t bad. Against last year’s 2 bottom teams.

Couldn’t think of a better way to schedule them.

Look forward to the whining when we have consecutive 6 day breaks.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

In this situation it is the venue. The MCG is vacant on Sunday and it is supposedly our home ground?

I have no issue playing on Sundays apart from twilight.

At least we’re not playing our home game against a Marvel tenant.
Edit: What Apex said.

We have the best stadium deal going - a couple of our games have to be played at docklands under that deal. Reckon it has been stated a few times above.

That's the rubbish that we get fed.

It's Rd 9 and and we are yet to play a home game at the MCG against a Melbourne based club?

Why is our stadium deal better than Geelong have at gmhba? Richmond at the G? Wce at Optus?

Would rather play all home games at the G, but if we have to play 2 at Marvel, this should be one of them

• Mother's day
  • Bottom 4 side
  • would rather play interstate side at Marvel then a Marvel tenant

Despite our incredible crowds last year, we only got 37k if I recall correctly against GWS on Mothers day.
It's usually a pretty bad day for crowds
Yes that’s right. It was a cracking day weather wise though, perfect for picnics.

Why is our stadium deal better than Geelong have at gmhba? Richmond at the G? Wce at Optus?
Every single year we are guaranteed:
14 games at the MCG (9 home, 5 away)
3 games at Marvel (2 home, 1 away)

17 games in Melbourne, leaving 6 interstate games (including Gather Round)

It's Rd 9 and and we are yet to play a home game at the MCG against a Melbourne based club?

The season goes for 23 rounds so your round 9 comment is pointless. Two of those rounds were promotional interstate games anyway.

We get more MCG games than any of those clubs.

Agree on a net home ground advantage rule Geelong have the best deal but for the club playing the most games where it matters Collingwood has the best deal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The season goes for 23 rounds so your round 9 comment is pointless. Two of those rounds were promotional interstate games anyway.

We get more MCG games than any of those clubs.

Agree on a net home ground advantage rule Geelong have the best deal but for the club playing the most games where it matters Collingwood has the best deal

It matters for those that have a home game membership? Even those now with crappy away seats.

It's almost the first half of the season we are simply there to boost other clubs crowd and boost their membership sales.

The draw/fixture needs considerable work.

I don't know about our deal, but St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton are all playing their home games against us at the G. Cats always do too. And not only home games, they all have to play home finals against us at the G. This is a silly complaint.

I don't know about our deal, but St Kilda, Essendon and Carlton are all playing their home games against us at the G. Cats always do too. And not only home games, they all have to play home finals against us at the G. This is a silly complaint.

This, at least you get majority of your Home Games and Finals at your Home Ground, even if you are the Away side.

They choose to play home games against us to make money and to attract members.

So what’s your point? You’re lucky to be a Collingwood supporter?

Nope, whinging about seating.
My point is we should and always should have 11 home games at the MCG.

Other teams have the right to play us where they want as it's THEIR home game. Play us in Ballarat, Tassie, wherever don't care. That their choice.

Pretty simple.

My point is we should and always should have 11 home games at the MCG.

Other teams have the right to play us where they want as it's THEIR home game. Play us in Ballarat, Tassie, wherever don't care. That their choice.

Pretty simple.
Because you say so?

We get 14 games at the MCG. Guaranteed. It doesn’t matter if some of them are home games or not or if you don’t like the seats you are allocated.

You’re just making a fool of yourself now.

Rubbish? It's just the reality. We wanted to move to the G rather than Docklands, that's the price we agreed to pay.

Richmond and Melbourne as original tenants of the G get special consideration but even given that the Tigers only get 1 more home game at the G than us, but they ultimately play less H&A games there (13 relative to our 14).

Cats have the same number of home games at GMHBA as we have at the G, 9.

There’s always a (very very) outside change might have to play finals at marvel.

Something like this
Mel 1 vs rich 4
Carl 2 vs Geelong 3
Essendon 5 v stkilda 8
Collingwood 6 v Gold Coast 7

Good practice just in case!

Although in that scenario, Carlton, Essendon and St Kilda are all Marvel tenants so heck em!

I ask this question every year. Aka playing Marvel. Even a home game against Nth there and sometimes the Doggies.

I think it’s an absolute farce.

Though I think Jen once pointed out it’s an AFL contractual thing for us to play a certain number of games there each year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back