RIP Darren Millane 30 Years Since His Passing

Remove this Banner Ad

#42 could be the honorific guernsey, if we have to have one, which is debatable.

#22 has had too many other greats including Tony Shaw and Bob Rose

Yes, I think we should approach the Millane family and ask if we can use 42 as the top draftee number, that or 22 after Sidders retires.
Given that even now the loss Collingwood supporters felt when Millane was killed is still palpable I reckon 42 stays retired for time immemorial as was intended.

#42 could be the honorific guernsey, if we have to have one, which is debatable.

#22 has had too many other greats including Tony Shaw and Bob Rose
22 was also the number given to a 16 year old wonder kid from Tasmania named John Greening , played 82 of the finest games , some of his play had to be seen to be believed, absolutely gifted footballer ,was denied the opportunity to further showcase his God given talents on a dark day on July 8th 1972 after been assaulted on the Moorabin oval by a thug. That prick O’Dea should have been jailed for thuggery .

Given that even now the loss Collingwood supporters felt when Millane was killed is still palpable I reckon 42 stays retired for time immemorial as was intended.
I agree.
Don’t see the point in being bringing it back.
Would be very strange seeing that number on the field again.

I agree.
I understand that some of the younger supporters don't really get the grief associated with the number, but they should just take to older supporters word.

I understand that some of the younger supporters don't really get the grief associated with the number, but they should just take to older supporters word.
Absolute joy thinking about Millane. I always wanted his number to carry on but I am in the minority on that and happy to keep it retired if it upsets the majority. Personally, I couldn’t think of a higher honour then having it on my back which is why I want it back out there.

I understand that some of the younger supporters don't really get the grief associated with the number, but they should just take older supporters word.

I agree.

With the greatest respect to the Millane family, other Collingwood players have died (or experienced tragedy to never play again) but their numbers remain and we can look at 13 and remember Wayne "Flash" Gordon or 22 and Johnny Greening, 25 and Robbie Rose or 3 and Johnny McCarthy. Men died in the war but their numbers weren't "retired"

For some people footy numbers mean nothing. But to some of us old romantics we remember the great men who wore them and their deeds on the footy field. It's why some players crave certain numbers and revel in the history of their number. Before Millane 42 wasn't a coveted number like 22, 17, 35, 26 and 5....but after Millane 42 meant everything to lots of Pies.

I'd love to see it run around again so that we could remember Pants out on the field with his mates.

Oh and I'm 74, apparently old people want it left retired (not this old coot)

One of our greatest. One on one, virtually impossible to beat.
Your passing gutted the club for nigh on a decade

All that said Dazzler...I think it's time we brought out your old number
Love to see it running around again reminding us all of you.
I would think Darren’s family would view it as a great legacy to have the ‘42’ guernsey replace 35 for the 1st picked draftee each year, which is what I would love to see happen.
What an honour that would be in my opinion.

I would think Darren’s family would view it as a great legacy to have the ‘42’ guernsey replace 35 for the 1st picked draftee each year, which is what I would love to see happen.
What an honour that would be in my opinion.
Agree and you tell the players if they’re the first picked they’d better bloody hang around!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back