Preview RND 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thurs March 18th 7.25pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A nice easy win against the Roos or something would be a nice change for round 1.

We certainly have been unlucky having to face the Tigers for round 1 during the best period they have ever had in their clubs history.

Starting the season playing catch up on a loss just isn't that great for moral.

On the contrary, Imagine the confidence boost for the next block of games if we won.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not a fan of this "season starts rd 2". Very defeatist attitude... we are more then capable of beating any team if we play good football consistently for quarters.

Richmond have been wiping the floor against much better teams for 4 years, and are consistently healthy heading into new seasons.

It will take all 22 players having career best games and Barker pulling off one of the all-time great stoppage coaching performances to win.

Richmond have been wiping the floor against much better teams for 4 years, and are consistently healthy heading into new seasons.

It will take all 22 players having career best games and Barker pulling off one of the all-time great stoppage coaching performances to win.
Richmond have lost games in the last few years. Not sure why we cant be a team to beat them. Obviously its gonna be difficult, but thought we were passed the point in our development where we think we have 0 chance against a top team

Richmond have lost games in the last few years. Not sure why we cant be a team to beat them. Obviously its gonna be difficult, but thought we were passed the point in our development where we think we have 0 chance against a top team

We'd be a good show with a full list to choose from.

But, with TDK (first-choice ruckman), Williams (A grade recruit and top 3 midfielder) and Curnow (#1 forward) all unavailable, it makes things even more difficult for an inexperienced team.

Couple that with injury concerns over McKay (#2 forward), McGovern and Casboult (#3rd and #4th tall forwards), we are in serious trouble.

After watching the St Kilda game several times and the Essendon game from my vantage point in Beijing, I feel we have a long way to go before we develop into a good side. Our kicking skills are a mess, our tackling is sub par, sides score far too easily against us and we just bomb the ball into the forward line hoping for the best. Just like last year. A prime example is Ed Curnow. We love the guy but why is he delivering the ball into the forward line? Grunt running, tagging and inside is his go. Why would that not be organised? Of course it is very early so we shall see.

Because he running harder than most to get in the right position to receive the ball, I know what you're saying though.

This is because opposing teams let him have the ball on the outside and because they let him have it there we give him the ball.

It’s very simple with Ed Curnow he’s a hard worker and a trier but teams have worked out if you let him have the ball it’s better than someone who’s more skilful having it.

hence he continues to deliver the ball inside 50

Yeah I don't think other teams "let him have the ball". He runs harder than most so puts himself in the best place to receive

Dow is primed for a big one. I’d love to see O’Brien in for Williams too. Obrien deserves it over Fogarty who was rubbish v saints.
Dow looks set to take that next step and become an elite player to lead our midfield. Great news too given we've been far too relient on Cripps, Walsh, Curnow and Murphy to handle the workload

We'd be a good show with a full list to choose from.

But, with TDK (first-choice ruckman), Williams (A grade recruit and top 3 midfielder) and Curnow (#1 forward) all unavailable, it makes things even more difficult for an inexperienced team.

Couple that with injury concerns over McKay (#2 forward), McGovern and Casboult (#3rd and #4th tall forwards), we are in serious trouble.
Injuries are part of the game, we will never have a full strength 22.

We are at a point now where we need to be competitive each week, despite injuries.

it doesn’t mean we will win every game, but we are no longer in a position where we can write off games as a loss

Teague will go for the fastest set up he can muster for this game - Williams is a big out unfortunately but there are other options to stack the midfield with the run required to stay with them for 4 quarters. The difficulty is in matching them for kicking skill between the arcs. We have to win a lot of ball to counter that.

Plowman* Jones Docherty*
Saad Weitering Wiliamson*

Wash Cripps Newman*
Pitto Setters Ed

Martin* Levi Cuningham*
Fisher Harry Eddie

IC: [SOJ/McGovern] Dow SPS Fogarty

EM: Stocker LoB Gibbons

is how I see the lineup all being available.
The asterix blokes really need to lift a lot from pre-season form to give us a red hot chance to knck 'em off.

It was pleasing to see Fish given some midfield time in the last game OR he took the initiative and found the ball.- sam for SPS he looked great between the arcs. Cuningham - now or never, this has to be your year.

Teague will go for the fastest set up he can muster for this game - Williams is a big out unfortunately but there are other options to stack the midfield with the run required to stay with them for 4 quarters. The difficulty is in matching them for kicking skill between the arcs. We have to win a lot of ball to counter that.

Plowman* Jones Docherty*

Wash Cripps Newman*
Pitto Setters Ed

Martin* Levi Cuningham*
Fisher Harry Eddie

The asterix blokes really need to lift a lot from pre-season form to give us a red hot chance to knck 'em off.

It was pleasing to see Fish given some midfield time in the last game OR he took the initiative and found the ball.- sam for SPS he looked great between the arcs. Cuningham - now or never, this has to be your year.

will Newman be ready??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of this "season starts rd 2". Very defeatist attitude... we are more then capable of beating any team if we play good football consistently for 4 quarters.
We start quick kick the first two tigers respond even it up then we go goal for goal.
We get a break in the last and bury them in the last 15 minutes.
Tigers get spiteful and dirty giving away stupid frees we keep our cool and capitalise
We then go to there board and revel in there outrage at the umpiring

We start quick kick the first two tigers respond even it up then we go goal for goal.
We get a break in the last and bury them in the last 15 minutes.
Tigers get spiteful and dirty giving away stupid frees we keep our cool and capitalise
We then go to there board and revel in there outrage at the umpiring

did that once kicked the opening five goals ... didn’t end well if I recall.

Plowman* Jones Docherty*

Wash Cripps Newman*
Pitto Setters Ed

Martin* Levi Cuningham*
Fisher Harry Eddie

The trick is to kick to mark. * Richmond pressure. That’s all it is. They can’t hit targets. They scrub it forward. We need 1-2 spares at all times. Chick a defensive wing (Williamson) and use doc as a spare. That sorts defence. But going forward it needs to be run and handball. No kicking inside 50. Keep using the handball and kick from the run.

The trick is to kick to mark. fu** Richmond pressure. That’s all it is. They can’t hit targets. They scrub it forward. We need 1-2 spares at all times. Chick a defensive wing (Williamson) and use doc as a spare. That sorts defence. But going forward it needs to be run and handball. No kicking inside 50. Keep using the handball and kick from the run.
We looked better in the second half against Saints with a bit more of a handball game 👍

Plowman* Jones Docherty*

Wash Cripps Newman*
Pitto Setters Ed

Martin* Levi Cuningham*
Fisher Harry Eddie

The bold part totally contradicts itself.:think::huh:

Yep...and let's not rush back any of our injured players for a game we probably won't win. End of the day its 1 round out of 23 against the best team in the league.

Have Williams and the injured forwards prime for round 2 and beat Collingwood.
Don’t agree with the pessimism here. We can win this

I understand why we are heavy underdogs, but I have a bit of confidence
the old saying of
If you go in ready to lose, then stay home.
It’s

The bold part totally contradicts itself.:think::huh:

Dow is on the bench along with fogarty - like i said we still have toi wim a lot of ball so it is a balance thing - Walsh and newman are fast enough - SPS/Fisher/Dow/Martin rotations theough the guts to be expected...

what's your thinking?

will Newman be ready??
Liek I said assuming he is fit - latest I read somwhere on her ewas that he was ok...I reckon the onkly real out will be Williams and Levi/McGovern and Newnes will be fit to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back