Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

I've always wondered about this. For folks with a longer memory than me, is there any historical animus/rivalry between the two clubs that I'm not aware of?
It's the only game of the year when anyone will notice Norf (apart from the 27 Norf supporters)...

Would love to fit Weitering, Martin, E Hollands and Motlop in.

Probably for Young, Kennedy (play him as Sub), Cunners and Fantasia.

Some good players are unfortunately going to be squeezed out over the coming weeks....

I think it will be a much closer game than most think......Blues by 47 points.

I've always wondered about this. For folks with a longer memory than me, is there any historical animus/rivalry between the two clubs that I'm not aware of?
IIRC, Bob Ansett led board floated the NMFC on the stock exchange in the late 1980s.

Got taken private when Carlton aligned 'investors' tried to buy a controlling interest.

Edit: The Hobart stock exchange. Not sure whether it would have been possible but would potentially have made the Roos a 'feeder' team for the Blues.

If there is, I doubt it enters the minds of any of the current generation players.

Mostly this comes down to the fact that NM don't have any other marquee game, they pushed hard for the Good Friday slot for many many years before it got the go-ahead leading into the 2017 season.

They've won 1/6 of the Good Friday matches since - there was a close run with the Doggies in the inaugural game, followed by a solid bollocksing of the Saints (long may they be shite), but have been pretty much uncompetitive since.

2023 - 23pt loss to Carlton
2022 - 68pt loss to WB
2021 - 128pt loss to WB
2020 - cancelled (Covid -delayed season)
2019 - 58pt loss to Essendon
2018 - 52pt win over St Kilda
2017 - 3pt loss to WB

For the last 5 years, there have been routine calls for the Good Friday slot to be taken off them and either handed to a better team, or at least rotated based on previous years form.

Understandably, the Roos are keen to hold onto their only fixture of remote public interest. Their best chance of doing so is by playing out of their skins when they finally get clipped by the spotlight.

IIRC, Bob Ansett led board floated the NMFC on the stock exchange in the late 1980s.

Got taken private when Carlton aligned 'investors' tried to buy a controlling interest.

Edit: The Hobart stock exchange. Not sure whether it would have been possible but would potentially have made the Roos a 'feeder' team for the Blues.
:tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: :tearsofjoy: Everyone can say what they like, but Carlton buying a controlling interest in them was Norf's 1 chance to be relevant & they blew it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol that's ridiculous. I'm pro blues but literally owning another club is farcical

I could be wrong but reckon it was a plan by Big Jack and Peter Scanlon to try and take over or 'buy' the VFL/AFL.

Jack had talked of a breakaway league.

Last edited:
It's got nothing to do with a rivalry but I do recall that when this was spoken of back to the 80s, North and Carlton were proposed as the teams competing. The Royal Children's Hospital being located in between the two clubs was the main reason and the push to have this game at all was always linked to the RCH appeal.

I could be wrong but reckon it was a plan by Big Jack and Peter Scanlon to try and take over or 'buy' the VFL/AFL.

Jack had talked of a breakaway league.
It wasn't just Jack, all of the bigger clubs were involved in that push and it went pretty close to becoming a reality. I remember them all meeting at the Old Melbourne Hotel in North Melbourne.

They were planning a Super League type of breakaway.

lol that's ridiculous. I'm pro blues but literally owning another club is farcical
It was done with the desire to get their better players over to Carlton, if successful I have no doubt we would have let North go to the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back