Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

A good game to get the through-the-middle overlap running working better than it has so far and to work on getting better and smarter targetted kicks to leading forwards. Need to get the counter punch part of the turnover game working - as the next layer of improvement - whilst at the same time stop losing the clearances and ground ball contests.

Hopefully it is a 3 quarter slog and then a final quarter steam rolling - which is the mark of a good side playing strong football against wiling opponents.

Kennedy/Cuningham must be nervous about selection if Martin/Motlop are fit and O Hollands and Cottrell need to lift back to their previous standards - sooner rather than later.

Would much prefer a 4 quarter steam rolling

Unfortunately he destroyed the confidence and subsequent career of Ian Aitkin as he was never the same[ broken jaw and KO made him suffer from PSD] after a magnificent introduction into his career as a centre half back that had all the attributes

Aitken was essentially the Rising Star of 1987 having been awarded Best First year player in the (then VFL) by the Channel 7 World of Sport panel.

:thumbsu:

Yep. If we let them get there quick offensive run and gun game going then they could cause us some issues. But they have a lot of younger bodies in there side, so I feel like if we pressure them enough and work them over physically then that should be enough to get over them. IMO
We have a fall back game style which we have used to get us back into games the last two we have played. Simply go to playing closer to the man around the field and focus on creating contests rather than trying to win the ball in the clear and that has looked a lot better for us. We have never really looked great when the game has been open and free flowing except when we are able to dominate clearances.

We might be able to play a more open, ball hunting loser checking game if we dominate the ruck.

But I would be very tempted to go this way from the start. Start the game pressure and contest focused and then perhaps look to play a bit loser and open things up.

I think if we apply pressure early, put them back in their box and take the heat out of the game that way we will have a much easier day out there than if we go ball hunting and then find ourselves in a close game that we have to readjust and generate pressure in later.

Would love Harry Charlie and E.Hollands to get off the chain this game.

Midfield just has to apply good pressure up the field and we should be fine. North have a few too many turnover merchants to challenge imo, completely kills their momentum during games by giving up 5-6 easy goals every week.

Also hope Young or Weiters can completely blanket Larkey. Blokes a grub who you can tell is utterly desperate for a Coleman regardless of whether he has to play selfishly to do so.

Midfield just has to apply good pressure up the field and we should be fine. North have a few too many turnover merchants to challenge imo, completely kills their momentum during games by giving up 5-6 easy goals every week.

Also hope Young or Weiters can completely blanket Larkey. Blokes a grub who you can tell is utterly desperate for a Coleman regardless of whether he has to play selfishly to do so.

Is Elijah confirmed playing?

I do think he’s best 22 but I don’t think he’s a walk up start.

Win the midfield battle, win the game. We’re stronger at both ends of the ground. North’s only real chance is to win the midfield battle and territory game off the back of that and hope to kick accurately and that we don’t capitalise on our opportunities.

Our midfield were collectively shaded by Richmond so we’ll need them to lift a bit leading into this. They’re a proud bunch so I think they will. North will be up for this game and we could be sluggish early coming off the bye, but expecting us to break it open at some point and win by 4-5 goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was on the fence about E Hollands playing but I think he will come in. Our forward line hasn't performed overly well in the first few games. I think we will see some changes. Would not be surprised if Motlop and Martin come straight in as well. I think all three could make a massive difference. It would certainly increase our goal scoring power, which outside Charlie and Harry is fairly low. We are a top side playing a bottom side, normally you may give some players a VFL game returning, I think in this case that doesn't matter.

My understanding he didn't play in the VFL practice match against Richmond. Not sure if anyone can confirm?
I believe this is correct because the game fell within his 2 week suspension, unlike the practice games. Sounds like he’ll be available for selection this week. Not sure whether we pull the trigger but the noise out of the club is we think we’ve found a player after how he’s performed over pre season.

Hollands has always been a forward/mid. Was a top player at junior level in this role. It's a missing role in our team. Kennedy has had this role the last few weeks and has been underwhelming in it. I think Hollands comes in for Kennedy.

Cuningham and Cottrell have been ok as half forwards. Owies has been ok as a small forward who pinch hits as a half forward. Fantasia and Fogarty have been quiet as deeper playing smalls. I think it's the latter who are probably under the most pressure. Motlop and Martin could easily come in for them.

I think normally you give these guys a VFL game but if they have had a really good training block and because the opposition is weak and we have a real need to improve in this area. I think they may come straight in. Particularly after having a strong summer for most of it.

Having said that we have a real conservative approach to player returns so it's just a matter of whether they have already had that extra week or two or whether they are in that period now.

It's not that easy to get a real handle on our form based upon what I've seen so far, but I thought our performance against the Tigers was somewhat underwhelming. Hopefully we get a few back this week, which will stiffen up the side somewhat. My biggest concern is our lack of pressure in the front half. We can't just let McKercher, Sheezel and Fisher run riot and amass 70 easy possessions between them without being under immense pressure. I'm half inclined to give Cotts or Boyd a job here against Sheezel or McKercher as shutting down their run off HB is the key to winning this game. I also want to see Charlie start deep and present up at the ball carrier rather than being stationery trying to wrestle with two gorillas. A mobile Charlie is a far greater threat to the opposition than a stationery one. He'll also find it easier to draw free kicks doing this.

B: Williams, Weitering, Newman
HB: McGovern, Kemp, Saad
C: Acres, Cripps, Boyd
HF: E.Hollands, Curnow, Cottrell
F: Owies, McKay, C.Durdin
R: DeKoning, Hewitt, Cerra
IC: Kennedy, Carroll, Fogarty, Walsh
Sub: Young

In: Weitering, E.Hollands, Walsh
Out: O.Hollands, Cuningham, Fantasia

The only other potential "in" I toyed with was Martin, but I have some doubts as to how much work he's done since Xmas. Soapy V might have a better idea than me in this regard, but otherwise I'm happy for him to find some touch and fitness in the VFL for a game or two. Motlop was the perhaps the other one, but I'd prefer the defensive pressure the others will provide for this game. If something happens to TDK it would really screw with how we set up so I've gone with Young as the sub. Others might prefer Motlop. I've chucked Boyd on a wing as I think his razor-sharp kicking inside 50 might have some our forwards licking their lips to present up at the ball-carrier.

You’re assuming EH plays.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's not that easy to get a real handle on our form based upon what I've seen so far, but I thought our performance against the Tigers was somewhat underwhelming. Hopefully we get a few back this week, which will stiffen up the side somewhat. My biggest concern is our lack of pressure in the front half. We can't just let McKercher, Sheezel and Fisher run riot and amass 70 easy possessions between them without being under immense pressure. I'm half inclined to give Cotts or Boyd a job here against Sheezel or McKercher as shutting down their run off HB is the key to winning this game. I also want to see Charlie start deep and present up at the ball carrier rather than being stationery trying to wrestle with two gorillas. A mobile Charlie is a far greater threat to the opposition than a stationery one. He'll also find it easier to draw free kicks doing this.

B: Williams, Weitering, Newman
HB: McGovern, Kemp, Saad
C: Acres, Cripps, Boyd
HF: E.Hollands, Curnow, Cottrell
F: Owies, McKay, C.Durdin
R: DeKoning, Hewitt, Cerra
IC: Kennedy, Carroll, Fogarty, Walsh
Sub: Young

In: Weitering, E.Hollands, Walsh
Out: O.Hollands, Cuningham, Fantasia

The only other potential "in" I toyed with was Martin, but I have some doubts as to how much work he's done since Xmas. Soapy V might have a better idea than me in this regard, but otherwise I'm happy for him to find some touch and fitness in the VFL for a game or two. Motlop was the perhaps the other one, but I'd prefer the defensive pressure the others will provide for this game. If something happens to TDK it would really screw with how we set up so I've gone with Young as the sub. Others might prefer Motlop. I've chucked Boyd on a wing as I think his razor-sharp kicking inside 50 might have some our forwards licking their lips to present up at the ball-carrier.

I think Cuningham is one of our better defensive half forwards. I think he very quietly does a good job every week. Really opened the door to Brisbane when he didn't play in the prelim IMO. If you want good half back's shut down he has to play. Cottrell also does this fairly naturally each week. It will be a key to winning this game well. Regardless of who you are playing, if opposition half backs take you apart then it's going to be hard to win so you are on the money there and they do have some who can get it and generate attacking play.

Charlie deep and Harry high seems to be something which works. It's who is in between and around them as marking options that has been absent in our side. Normally it's SOS and/or Martin. Sometimes it has been DeKoning. I think we will see some changes in our forward structure. As many as 3. However if Martin is unavailable then let's not discount Moir. He may well be the only medium forward marking target on our list that is available. He could come in not for his form but for our forward structure. I think Hollands will also come in as well. There is no way we can be happy with the performance of our forward line the last two games.

I think Cuningham is one of our better defensive half forwards. I think he very quietly does a good job every week. Really opened the door to Brisbane when he didn't play in the prelim IMO. If you want good half back's shut down he has to play. Cottrell also does this fairly naturally each week. It will be a key to winning this game well. Regardless of who you are playing, if opposition half backs take you apart then it's going to be hard to win so you are on the money there and they do have some who can get it and generate attacking play.

As I have said before DC frustrates me. Has it all but goes missing.

I would really like to see him off HB. His run and ball use, along with running straight would be a massive benefit.

The modern game is about run and ball use by foot. We need to improve this and IMO DC behind the ball would help us a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back