Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

Can't see any more than two changes.
Weitering, O Hollands for Young, Owies/Fantasia/Cunners

One of the outs to be the sub and C. Durdin to the 2s.

I think Marchbank and Motlop are best 22 but they are not walk up starts back from injury/illness.

I think Marchbank and Motlop are best 22 but they are not walk up starts back from injury/illness.
Can't agree on this.

Motlop and E Hollands (and Martin when he's ready) are our first 3 choice smalls. I'd like to see both Owies and Fantasia come out, but think it'll probably be Cunners.

Fogarty and Cottrell have been really good defensively so should stay in for mine.

Yeah I don't mind the Cunners sub idea.

Can play a few roles and adds some toe after half time., having said that I thought Durdin was a good sub too!!

Match committee are facing some tough choices but reckon they have had a good idea what team structure they want.

Interesting that the Pitto hasn't been mentioned much. He represents a fair portion of the centre bounce strength we made our own last year.
Think Pitto missing is part of our clearance drop off, but the overall increase in mobility and speed is outweighing that at the moment.

Still, Pitto is not a bad option if TDK is sore or we want to give him a couple of games break during the season. Also an excellent sparring partner for training.

Can't agree on this.

Motlop and E Hollands (and Martin when he's ready) are our first 3 choice smalls. I'd like to see both Owies and Fantasia come out, but think it'll probably be Cunners.

Fogarty and Cottrell have been really good defensively so should stay in for mine.
Won’t be Owies.
Does all the things the coach would want and kicks straight as an arrow from 35-50.
Cunningham and Fantasia is my bet to be out if Hollands and Motlop are ready and I’m quite fine with that.

Hollands isn't seeing much of the ball but I don't think he's going all that badly. Did a job on Pickett, who kept trying to spark the Tigers but ended up biting off too much and either turning it over or getting done HTB.

I wonder how he feels about having one tackle in two games where the opposition had plenty of the ball.

If we don't play through Fisher's man and have him kick 5+ goals then we're doing it wrong.

Loved little Fish, has some serious tools, but he can't halve an aerial contest let alone win one. Could absolutely cause us some headaches if he's allowed to get easy ball at HB, but if we make him defend and punish him for his inability to do so then we limit his opportunities to hurt us on rebound.

When going forward, I want Cottrell on him. If they're kicking in from a behind, any of Fogarty, Owies or Cunners to wear him like a glove.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

0, 2, 7, 3, 0.

iirc the 7 was a day we lost 2 or 3 players and Weiters was trying to cover the whole defence.
I think that 7 was when Teague was coaching.. weiters ended up in the forward line!

Kennedy may or may not be the answer up forward to the loss of JSOS. But I would be reluctant to pull the pin on the plan so early.

I sort of feel the same about Fantasia. The guy hadn’t played football in a long time. He’s clearly still getting up to pace with things. I’d give him another opportunity.

Anyway, we’ll see what happens.
he can do it in the 2s.

Motlop is a like for like with OF....nothing lost at all, a gain on OF's current output.

Reckon Hollands the younger needs to rediscover form in the 2s too.

Would even let C. Durdin have a full game in the 2s.... maybe Cuners or E. Hollands the sub?

(sub is such a dumb idea, why not just have 5 on the bench)

Forward line needs a shakeup. A lot of guys aren't putting the numbers on the board. We can't just keep going with two guys demanding the ball as we go forward and everyone else, being ground level players, just waiting for it to come in. The balance is off.

No Silvagni and no Martin means who are we down to as a mobile marking/ground level forward? It has to be Moir. As much as he is young and likely not ready. I think we have to play him to balance the forward line up.

It's either that or experiment with someone like Kemp.

I don't think the Kennedy experiment has been very good and ever will be. He's mostly an inside player and this is mostly an outside role.

Anyone with the idea of dropping Owies is nowhere near it. He's the only smaller forward who has provided a marking option and he's kicking the most goals again. He's effectively the 3rd player out of all our forwards who actually demands the ball when we have it, knows how to find space to lead into and doesn't just wait for it to come in.

I think E Hollands will walk straight in. There are 5 forwards in our side who are barely hanging on and are only there because there is no one really pushing them hard for a spot. Not playing badly, just doing bare minimum.

Kennedy may hold a spot purely because of the little bit of ruck he does. We aren't giving him much time on the ball and he's not much of a forward. I think Hollands, who is more of a natural forward will be more suited in the forward/mid role.

I think Moir is a really good chance but there are other options.

The other two options would be that we play Pittonet and DeKoning spends more time forward or we debut Lemmy and he plays forward and rucks a little. I think the Kemp experiment may be better started in the VFL but it's a worthy one. He's got the pace and ground level play that is important for the role.

The other thing is, because McKay is rucking now and we are so one dimensional up forward, when he rucks we have only Curnow as a serious marking target up forward.

This is why we keep bombing the ball long into our forward line, because there aren't enough forwards running hard and leading hard and demanding the ball be kicked to them.

Something has to change structurally up forward for us.

I think people are being a little harsh on Fantasia - he hasn’t played much senior footy over the past year and is still working his way into our system and match conditioning.

I’ve been impressed with his ability to get up the ground and link up to the forward, line which I never really saw him do before he came to us.

He also adds an experienced head to our forward line and his pressure work has been underrated IMO.

If Marchbank is fit he comes straight back in. Far too good a player to leave out. More than good enough to come straight back in after a few weeks off with illness. The guy has come in after years off and no preseason and done well. He's had a good preseason and missed a few weeks with illness. Seems far too underrated on here.

Would we bring him in and try Kemp forward? A lot on here are pushing for Kemp forward. I was thinking Moir. It's hard to know not being close to training. We need the extra target up forward.

Whilst it's nice having some more best 22 players available again I just cant see us tinkering too much, good sides generally don't make wholesale changes unless absolutely required.

For me its pretty straightforward, Weits in for Young and E Hollands replaces Durds as the sub.

If Marchbank is fit he comes straight back in. Far too good a player to leave out. More than good enough to come straight back in after a few weeks off with illness. The guy has come in after years off and no preseason and done well. He's had a good preseason and missed a few weeks with illness. Seems far too underrated on here.

Would we bring him in and try Kemp forward? A lot on here are pushing for Kemp forward. I was thinking Moir. It's hard to know not being close to training. We need the extra target up forward.

Marchbank hasn't missed a few weeks with illness. Closer to a few months. Reportedly lost a few kgs too. I have him ahead of Kemp if fully fit but don't think he is enough of an upgrade to push in given those circumstances. Also, I think the coaching team will be mindful of not making too many changes at once. They will want to phase the returning players in over 2-3 weeks not make 5-6 changes this round.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back