Preview Rnd 3 - Carlton v North Friday 29th March 4.20PM @ Marvel - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Team is in …

IN:
Elijah Hollands, Caleb Marchbank, Jacob Weitering
OUT: David Cuningham (calf), Brodie Kemp, Lewis Young
NEW: Elijah Hollands

Round 3 team v North Melbourne
Backs:Caleb MarchbankJacob WeiteringZac Williams
Half-backs:Adam SaadMitch McGovernNic Newman
Centreline:Ollie HollandsPatrick CrippsBlake Acres
Half-forwards:Matthew OwiesHarry McKayMatthew Kennedy
Forwards:Elijah HollandsCharlie CurnowLachie Fogarty
Followers:Tom De KoningAdam CerraGeorge Hewett
Interchange:Jordan BoydJack CarrollMatthew Cottrell
Corey DurdinOrazio Fantasia
Emergencies:Jaxon BinnsMarc PittonetLewis Young

I think having a 3rd tall is under rated. How quickly we forget the extra dimension to our fwd line that JSOS provided. With his willingness to provide a marking option, his pressure and tackling. Make no mistake, his absence will continue to be felt this season. Don't think it will be this week, but I am hoping to see young Moir debut over the coming weeks. Reckon he is exactly the type of player we need in our mix. Of course he is young and a bit skinny, but huge upside. He is a very exciting prospect.
He does look likely - seems to have a healthy self belief also. Can’t wait to see his magic on show.

This week - Harry & King Charles need to hit contests hard & often - mosquito fleet feeding ravenously.

Ready to play in 2024 actually means ready to play unlike it has in the past. I think when we list players as ready to play they are recovered and conditioned not just recovered or near enough to recovered like has been the case.

Best 22 players come straight back in. Marchbank, Weitering, Hollands are IMO straight in players. Hollands straight in more about the performance and holes of our forwards rather than he being a straight in player however the coaching group may see him as that quality of player.

I'm excited to see our best 7 defenders on the park. The mix of two way run, intercepting and rebounding speed is really exciting. Best back 7 in the game IMO. Weitering and Marchbank bring a lot of intercept marking to the side that has been sorely missed. These quick turnovers in modern footy are gold, can really put the opposition under pressure. Teams hate running defensively when they have just been running offensively, that's how you gas the opposition.

All eyes on Elijah, Can not wait to see what he can do. His role as a medium sized, hard running forward/mid is one we really miss. Kennedy hasn't impressed in the role but he never proclaimed to be this sort of player, he's an inside mid.

Make no mistake, despite being able to take it up to teams, North are weak opposition. They aren't going to intimidate us physically or run us ragged, this is a good game for players to return in.

Any surprises? I still think we need to add a player up forward who will present and give us a target. The Twin towers with everyone else waiting for the ball to come in is not that great. We need someone who is going to lead, run fast, be strong overhead and able to compete or better at ground level. A lot of people on here have called for Kemp to be trialled up forward. I think they will get their wish. However this could be as the sub and may happen later in the game. I thought Moir may be a chance, that looks doubtful. I would be playing Kemp as the sub with the intention of subbing a small forward out and bringing him on to see what he can do. I think there is a big hole here.

Yes Dutchy 2 :thumbsu:

GJtR9mnasAER5b_

Hopefully our shining lights, Charlie & Harry spark up and show some consistent form, against Kangaroos.
This should be a comfortable game for the boys, far more demanding challenges are on the horizon, so I’m hoping for no injuries and a strong win.

OK that is a long time to miss. Yeah it would make sense to do that, but will be interesting. I think our modern version of right to play is different from a few years ago. I think players return when recovered and well conditioned. Will be interesting.
Marchbank got sick in mid-late Jan early Feb and battled chronic fatigue and lost 6kgs - He passed all his fitness tests just before the bye - it's up to the club to determine whether the 6kgs and two months out of training is worth VFL time.

I'd be very surprised if Kemp was dropped for marchy. Also most exciting thing of the e hollands video was walshy in the huddle in full kit

I think the issue is Kemp is more Gov's role. He is being forced to play tall and isn't ideal.

If he was to make way for Marchbank it would be due to Marchbank being a better option as a 1v1 defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please no small forward as the sub. Id love to see Weits back but sceptical of bringing a player like Marche straight in to the side with no recent match conditioning.

Fantasia and Kennedy have both been disappointing and id hope Durdin is ahead of Fantasia.

Im going
Ins: Weitering, Hollands
Out: Young, Fantasia
Sub: Kennedy

The list of brothers who have played in the same Carlton team is an interesting one. It leads me to wonder who people think were the best brothers to play for Carlton?

I would go Ed and Charlie, over Stephen and David Kernahan. But there are brothers in the list I don’t even know, so perhaps I am missing a stand out candidate.
The Sextons, but both the Kernahans and Curnows have them covered.

The list of brothers who have played in the same Carlton team is an interesting one. It leads me to wonder who people think were the best brothers to play for Carlton?

I would go Ed and Charlie, over Stephen and David Kernahan. But there are brothers in the list I don’t even know, so perhaps I am missing a stand out candidate.
It has to be Stephen and Mark Buckley :cool:

Don and John Nicholls played together at Carlton as well. Don won the award for best first-year player in 1956, John won the same award in 1957. Don went on to play 77 games, I think that everybody would know what John went on to achieve.
Yep I posted that earlier

From AFL website

Carlton has a storied history of brothers playing alongside each other, with Elijah and Ollie joining the likes of John and Don Nicholls (1957-1961), Stephen and David Kernahan (1988-1993) and most recently Ed and Charlie Curnow (2016-2023), who became the first brothers to play 100 games each for the Blues.

The Hollands brothers also have ties to the Navy Blue with their great-grandfather Martin Cross playing 36 games for Carlton in the early 1960s.

hollands in easy decision our forward entries and scoring power outside the two talks has been poor the wasted opportunities from outside 50 coming in against the tigers was stark .. Motlop later and Martin will make difference --
I see someone say Marchbank - there a possibility kemp goes fwd for Kennedy ? Hope moir comes on like fritsch in his first year

Getting the BBQ ready for tomorrow-- Salmon steaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back