Preview Rnd 7 - Carlton v Port Sunday 19th July 1.05PM @ the Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From memory Plowman was towelled up by Gray in the past.
Rozee to get SPS who has been great defensively as they get worried about his run and disposal off half back. Weitering will want Dixon and Jones will get Marshall. Plowman would have got Ebert or Gray but it’s locked into gray now with Ebert suspension. Flog Duursma returns which will be fun for Willo if he gets up from the ankle if not we may get to see Ramsay or Polson come in. I would like to see Polson off half back and make up for that sh*te debut v port in 2018.

In: O'Brien
Out: Murphy

B: Plowman------------------Jones----------------Williamson

H: Docherty----------------Weitering--------------Simpson

C: SPS-----------------------Cripps-----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham-------------McGovern--------------Martin

F: Betts----------------------McKay----------------Gibbons

Foll: Pittonet, Setterfield, Kennedy

Bench: Newnes, E.Curnow, Walsh, Casboult

So I had some time to kill during work today and I thought it might be fun to put together what I'm calling "The Form Ladder". This ladder works off the regular ladder and takes into account the strength of the schedule each team has played so far.

Wins against the higher teams get rewarded the most, while losses against the lower teams get punished. For example, a win against first-placed Port Adelaide is awarded 18 points, while a win against bottom-placed Adelaide is only awarded 1 point. On the flip side, a loss against Port Adelaide costs -1 points, while a loss against Adelaide costs -18 points. A draw is worth 0 points for both sides.

Through six round of the AFL season, here is what "The Form Ladder" looks like*:

Round OneRound TwoRound ThreeRound FourRound FiveRound SixTotalDifference
1​
Port Adelaide
10​
1​
5​
8​
-3​
9​
30​
0​
2​
Geelong
-10​
6​
-8​
4​
10​
16​
18​
0​
3​
Brisbane
-13​
5​
8​
1​
18​
-2​
17​
0​
4​
Essendon
5​
2​
-8​
14​
3​
16​
0​
5​
Hawthorn
16​
-2​
13​
3​
-10​
-5​
15​
8​
6​
Collingwood
7​
0​
12​
-10​
-4​
6​
11​
-1​
7​
Carlton
-6​
-15​
17​
15​
-7​
7​
11​
1​
8​
GWS
17​
-16​
-12​
14​
6​
-1​
8​
2​
9​
Melbourne
-11​
11​
-2​
-6​
10​
2​
6​
10​
Richmond
11​
0​
-13​
-7​
4​
2​
-3​
-4​
11​
St Kilda
-16​
7​
-5​
13​
11​
-14​
-4​
-4​
12​
Gold Coast
-1​
8​
1​
5​
-2​
-15​
-4​
-3​
13​
Fremantle
-4​
-3​
-1​
-9​
1​
12​
-4​
1​
14​
West Coast
4​
-9​
-3​
-1​
2​
1​
-6​
-3​
15​
Western Bulldogs
-5​
-7​
9​
2​
3​
-8​
-6​
-3​
16​
North Melbourne
12​
9​
-17​
-13​
-12​
-4​
-25​
0​
17​
Sydney
1​
-4​
3​
-12​
-11​
-6​
-29​
0​
18​
Adelaide
-17​
-1​
-10​
-3​
-14​
-11​
-54​
0​

* I think all of my calculations are correct but let's be honest, there's a good chance that I stuffed something up somewhere along the line.

From a Carlton perspective, it proves that our wins actually have substance. Not to mention that if the Essendon vs Melbourne game would have been played, we would be placed above Collingwood regardless of the result. It's also interesting to note that this week, we stand to earn 18 points if we win, while only risking 1 point if we lose. That bodes quite well for our position heading into next week regardless of what the result ends up being.

It's a pretty silly exercise but one that I thought might be fun to look at and give us a little bit more indicative of how each team has performed so far throughout this season.

In: O'Brien
Out: Murphy

B: Plowman------------------Jones----------------Williamson

H: Docherty----------------Weitering--------------Simpson

C: SPS-----------------------Cripps-----------------O'Brien

H: Cuningham-------------McGovern--------------Martin

F: Betts----------------------McKay----------------Gibbons

Foll: Pittonet, Setterfield, Kennedy

Bench: Newnes, E.Curnow, Walsh, Casboult

Now this is a side i can agree with, LOB or Fish if Murphy doesn't come up

Murphy will come up.
Sounded like he was only sore in hip for a little while and probably come good already.
Hopefully Crippa shoulder comes good soon as he could not do a lot Sunday night after he hurt it.

It is a good sign cohesion is really coming, that Docherty, Crippa and Murphy did not have big games and we still won very convincingly.
Having Kennedy there really mean Cripps injury did not hurt us as much as it might have on another game without Kennedy there.

Port are a very dangerous side. I think we have a very slim chance of winning but this season has been so topsy tervy who knows.

I honestly feel like we need to rest Cripps for his own good. He hasn't looked right for weeks and copped another knock against the dogs.

I think Murphy will miss with injury.

Don't think you can justify dropping anyone off that game for performance.

Out Cripps and Murphy
In JSOS and Fisher

So important we back up last week’s effort and not fall away ... Respect.

Also it’s probably a week too early to start resting / rotating players, but it may well be what we do as in the following weeks the fixture is to be condensed to cram in as many matches as possible.

Think back to backing up to play St Kilda 5 days after *.

Wet and hard slog even with a 7 day break against Port ... I would get some fresh legs in and start resting / rotating our players.

So ... Philp in for Murphy.

Injuries aside, next in line in the next 2 rounds ... Fisher and JSOS. Then I think it’s TDK (give Pitto a week off), O’Brien, Dow, Stocker and Marchbank.

Port are a very dangerous side. I think we have a very slim chance of winning but this season has been so topsy tervy who knows.

I honestly feel like we need to rest Cripps for his own good. He hasn't looked right for weeks and copped another knock against the dogs.

Out Cripps and Murphy
In JSOS and Fisher

Ports dangerous but we’re ‘ELECTRIC’!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Murphy will come up.
Sounded like he was only sore in hip for a little while and probably come good already.
Hopefully Crippa shoulder comes good soon as he could not do a lot Sunday night after he hurt it.

It is a good sign cohesion is really coming, that Docherty, Crippa and Murphy did not have big games and we still won very convincingly.
Having Kennedy there really mean Cripps injury did not hurt us as much as it might have on another game without Kennedy there.

Kennedy and Setterfield become very important to our team. Crippa looks like he needs a rest shortly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just reading the port board they’re a bit afraid of the Gabba. I know we aren’t very good there over so it’ll be interesting how we both cope with the ground. I hate playing Brisbane there.

Kennedy and Setterfield become very important to our team. Crippa looks like he needs a rest shortly.
I so loved seeing Kennedy out there. I also think despite Cunningham not getting a lot of ball, he is super important player for us as he creates chaos for opposition very quickly. He is so quick and now he knows it and starting to use it. That long kick out to Eddie Betts was exactly what Port will hate to see. Has a lot of penetration forward combining his speed and kicking power.

Out Cripps and Murphy
In JSOS and Fisher
Suspect that you are overrating Port/underrating us. I would have us 50/50 at worst. How do they match up on or forwards if we get reasonable supply?

I think we need to temper expectations a little bit for this week...

Last week was a good win against a good side that I think will make finals (pending form line away from Marvel) though it was not the 'thumping' the final scoreline suggested...

The first quarter was a great one for us, and the three goal lead we had coming out of it was reflective of the play in that quarter...

The key to winning the game however was our efficiency inside 50 in Q2 and Q3, mostly created by them controlling the play but being unable to get a goal, and on the back of that us keeping our structure forward of the ball so that we could get a good look on the few occasions we breached their 'wall' at the defensive 50...had they converted more of their opportunities inside 50 and/or we hadn't converted some of ours, they could easily have gone into 3/4 time even if not with a slight lead...

That brings us to Q4 where they miss an early shot to bring them within 2 goals, and we kick 2 down the other end to make them pay...from there the scoreline blew out as they took risks to try to win it, rather than play safe to make it an 'honourable loss'...those risks didn't pay off, leading to the massive margin...

We have been on the receiving end of this situation on a number of occasions even this year, in particular Q2 against Richmond where we controlled much of the play to put on only 1 goal, only for Richmond to quickly score 3 in as many minutes on the rebound late in the quarter...there was a bit of that also in Q3 v the Saints where we couldn't convert...

Point is there is a fine line between a good win and a loss...we are not going to be able to be as efficient as we were against the Dogs every week, and still have quite a bit to prove to show we can consistently match it with the best

So I had some time to kill during work today and I thought it might be fun to put together what I'm calling "The Form Ladder". This ladder works off the regular ladder and takes into account the strength of the schedule each team has played so far.

Wins against the higher teams get rewarded the most, while losses against the lower teams get punished. For example, a win against first-placed Port Adelaide is awarded 18 points, while a win against bottom-placed Adelaide is only awarded 1 point. On the flip side, a loss against Port Adelaide costs -1 points, while a loss against Adelaide costs -18 points. A draw is worth 0 points for both sides.

Through six round of the AFL season, here is what "The Form Ladder" looks like*:

Round OneRound TwoRound ThreeRound FourRound FiveRound SixTotalDifference
1​
Port Adelaide
10​
1​
5​
8​
-3​
9​
30​
0​
2​
Geelong
-10​
6​
-8​
4​
10​
16​
18​
0​
3​
Brisbane
-13​
5​
8​
1​
18​
-2​
17​
0​
4​
Essendon
5​
2​
-8​
14​
3​
16​
0​
5​
Hawthorn
16​
-2​
13​
3​
-10​
-5​
15​
8​
6​
Collingwood
7​
0​
12​
-10​
-4​
6​
11​
-1​
7​
Carlton
-6​
-15​
17​
15​
-7​
7​
11​
1​
8​
GWS
17​
-16​
-12​
14​
6​
-1​
8​
2​
9​
Melbourne
-11​
11​
-2​
-6​
10​
2​
6​
10​
Richmond
11​
0​
-13​
-7​
4​
2​
-3​
-4​
11​
St Kilda
-16​
7​
-5​
13​
11​
-14​
-4​
-4​
12​
Gold Coast
-1​
8​
1​
5​
-2​
-15​
-4​
-3​
13​
Fremantle
-4​
-3​
-1​
-9​
1​
12​
-4​
1​
14​
West Coast
4​
-9​
-3​
-1​
2​
1​
-6​
-3​
15​
Western Bulldogs
-5​
-7​
9​
2​
3​
-8​
-6​
-3​
16​
North Melbourne
12​
9​
-17​
-13​
-12​
-4​
-25​
0​
17​
Sydney
1​
-4​
3​
-12​
-11​
-6​
-29​
0​
18​
Adelaide
-17​
-1​
-10​
-3​
-14​
-11​
-54​
0​

* I think all of my calculations are correct but let's be honest, there's a good chance that I stuffed something up somewhere along the line.

From a Carlton perspective, it proves that our wins actually have substance. Not to mention that if the Essendon vs Melbourne game would have been played, we would be placed above Collingwood regardless of the result. It's also interesting to note that this week, we stand to earn 18 points if we win, while only risking 1 point if we lose. That bodes quite well for our position heading into next week regardless of what the result ends up being.

It's a pretty silly exercise but one that I thought might be fun to look at and give us a little bit more indicative of how each team has performed so far throughout this season.

question: are you retrofitting previous rds after each round? So basically have to recalc the whole thing each round. So your assumption that we are stand to win 18 and lose only -1 is not correct, as the ladder will change after the round....EDIT: okay, Port will likely still be top when we beat them, so your assumption is correct. Though I am going to assume we win by a bajillion points to knock their percentage down.

Or should each round be based upon what the ladder is before that round? How to deal with rd 1 in that case.

As I see it, you have two ways of doing this. Use the ladder after the latest rd, to populate the data for each round, or use the ladder prior to each round, to populate the data for that round.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back