Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Fremantle & Changes for R9 vs Bulldogs

Best 5 vs Freo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the worst midfield in the comp
This is what it looks.like for people
Who didn't want Taranto and Hopper
Dogs midfield are going to annihilate us

We've been annihilated in the middle plenty of times with those 2 (Dogs twice last season). The problem is we haven't had any draft picks for a long time and we're stuck with the same list this season as last. Nothing is changing the rest of this season, the senior players are slowly checking out and just playing the odd quarter here and there now. We should get a few good games in when/if Lynch comes back. But that will be it. Atleast we can start a rebuild at the end of this season and finally hit the draft.

We have been saying the same think the last couple of seasons the senior players let us down and the kids take the rapt and get dropped .

Blind freddy could see we needed a few more changes.

Ryan in for more structure with Lefau and what we do we continue with a pure ruckman in Naismith. Will say it again his in the side solely as a pure ruckman or his in the vfl.

Campbell needs a spell no problems rotating kids Coulthard was the natural choice.

Macca and Pickett. Pickett is either going to tag or his not in that side now simple as that. Get in Smith or McAuliffe there taking games from kids. Short straight back in just like Graham the other week based on what both have been so poor in 2024.

Have a look at our general skills and kicking turnovers who's the main causes of them.

I'm not sure Yze has full control of the match committee.
Short was one of our better players today, not that that's saying much

Yes please ffs play Cumbo. I sick of hearing the whining on this board that he needs to play, so I hope they play him so I don't have to hear it any more
Sad Cry Me A River GIF by The Bachelor

Taranto, hopper, prestia, balta and Lynch have left a massive hole in our structure, it cannot be filled with the young and also ageing list we have got at the moment. pick 2 or 3 def on the cards.

Maybe.
But banking on Prestia and Lynch to be up and about for 14 or 15 games a year, let alone 22, is delusional.
I wouldn't pencil either of them in for 10 at this stage of their careers, and Prestia is as good as done.

Match committee is not ruthless enough. Where is the high standards gone picking players on performance no matter there experience or what they have achieved in the past even injuries aside. If we can't see we're in a rebuild and first priority is getting games in kids and rotating them with the senior players performing then we're in denial.

Mansell and Dow aren't strong enough to be league footballers, the same goes for Campbell at the moment, but he has youth on his side
Exactly i looked at Dow today and he looked like an U16 kid compared to their mids. He's got no hope. Mansell is strong enough, but just doesn't have enough talent or tricks.

You know what I’ve noticed? It’s a bit of an hot take, but our club’s really bad at developing pure midfielders. Aside from the pre-Hardwick draftees like Cotchin and Dusty, we only really developed Jack Ross. Even then, he’s not a top midfielder in the competition. Bolton isn’t a pure mid, which is why I don’t count him. All the other pure midfielders making impact like Prestia, Taranto, Hopper etc. are from other clubs. Even Kane Lambert was a mature draftee. Not a pure mid, but it highlights a developmental issue.

We can draft as many midfielders as we like, but if we don’t have personnel that can actually develop them well (like Sydney or GWS do), then what’s the point? We seem to develop HBFs, small forwards, and KPDs well enough, but we always seem to have midfield issues.

I don’t think it is a development issue. We have had a few poor drafts since 2010 and we have had poor selections in the draft.

It is really hard to recruit and develop midfielders without top 10 picks. Our oppositions starting midfield today was former picks 2, 7 & 9, and last week was picks 2, 4 & a F/S matched pick 7.

What's the update on Bauer? I know he had a death in his family and a hamstring strain, is he nearly ready to go anyone know?
Should be playing next week in the VFL

Balta will be a big help to give something to kick to, seems like the care factor isn’t there for a lot of players at the moment. Sonsie and Brown showed a bit, Lefau developing well as a third tall, just need 2 other tall on the park. Campbell needs a spell, bit worried about Banks as not seeing much at the moment. Vlastuin will be leading our best and fairest by a mile. Reckon the CEO needs to make a call on his future soon as the whole club seems to be going through the motions a bit this year.

I said it before but our biggest problem is Dusty, Bolton and Daniel Rioli no longer care enough. They are our 3 most impactful players, when Rioli and Bolton got going in the 3rd, everyone else around them starts looking good!!! Exactly the same as the GC game. But they don't show up for more than a quarter here and there these days. Not sure we can fix that, dropping them wont help, but all 3 are just cruising and need to be better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When is Dow getting dropped? Seriously, bloke has played one and a half decent games this year. He’s had his run and is not up to AFL standard. 0 tackles today to go with his usual * all disposals.

Changes for this next week:

Out: Dow, Naismith, Grimes, Campbell, McIntosh

In: Balta, Graham, Prestia, McAuliffe, Trezise
Given he has played every match I'm not sure Dow gets dropped. Competed well at times, but is it time to give one of the other young minds the same chance has had, let him go back and dominate at VFL before he comes back in?
That said I hope they don't play any of Balta, Graham or Prestia unless they are 100% ready, not they should be there about.

The only question I have about our younger players is if some have been in the system 4 or 5 reasons now, why are they built like rakes?

Was watching Freo mids push our guys off the ball all game so watched the likes of Dow, HRS, etc run around looking like they have pins for arms and no chest.

Do we not pump the weights into the young guys? Or more than likely am I unrealistic in my thoughts?

Gee, well if YOU haven’t met a Freo supporter, maybe you should stop living in your mums shed and get out a bit more.

I had come here to say I thought the umps made a series of bad decisions which benefited Freo. Very rare that I’d agree with oppo supporters feeling ripped off, but some of the umps should be dropped, or put in a store room or wherever they go when they aren’t on the end of a whistle.
Living in Melbourne and Gold Coast all my life, we hardly ever met anyone from Perth. When I did, they were Eagles fans. Not my fault your fans stay in WA and closeted away.

Agree on the umpiring. It was atrocious but we are use to it now, after 8 years of it. The only losers in this are the AFL as fans and kids switch off going to the footy, knowing the reaming the Tigers are going to cop each game. It’s bordering on match fixing.

Anyway, good win by you guys. Shame we couldn’t field our A team though.

Given he has played every match I'm not sure Dow gets dropped. Competed well at times, but is it time to give one of the other young minds the same chance has had, let him go back and dominate at VFL before he comes back in?
That said I hope they don't play any of Balta, Graham or Prestia unless they are 100% ready, not they should be there about.

We love rushing Graham back in like he's a superstar. Prestia will surely never be 100% ready again.

Baker didn't look like someone that wants to go to Freo. WC it is.
Nothing less than their 1st pick - I'd say that will be 4. And we'll throw something back. Possibly Broad or a 2nd rounder.

If we do some good deals with the 2nd and 3rd rounders we have - we could end up with 2 picks in the top 5 and another around 14 with pick swaps.

Considering we built a dynasty around Dusty, Cotch and JR at picks 3, 2 & 8 we could hopefully do the same.

Back