Rodney Eade - Sacked

Remove this Banner Ad

Add to that after being labelled a basket case for the past month, Port Adelaide are now being tipped to replace either the Hawks or Doggies in the top 8...

It is amazing, but you can't blame posters when the media do the exact same thing. They change opinions more often than underwear.

The damage was done before Rocket arrived. We are injury prone to the extreme, probably the result of an unprofessional conditioning team for the first five years, and the belief that just getting games into the youngsters would guarantee success when all its really done is break them. We put too many eggs in the Gaz basket, and to a lesser extent with JOM and Jack Martin, the quality over quantity theory hasn't worked to date because we have been totally unable to field our best team for all but a brief period in 2014. Our two star young bulls of mids in JOM and Dave Swallow have been unable to get on the field for basically one and a half years. Take Selwood and Dangerfield out of Geelong for that period and see how they travel. Basically what could go wrong has gone wrong, a lot through what have been poor decisions in hindsight, but at the time were thought to be smart decisions. For example as it has turned out, Clayton has butchered the 2010 draft -

1. David Swallow - a gun and already a BnF but has been crueled by knee injuries due to having had to shoulder too heavy a load in the early years;
2. Harley Bennell - extremely talented but wayward off field - gone;
3. Sam Day - an honest trier but hasn't lived anyone near up to his pre-draft billing as the best young KPF that year;
5. Traded for Jared Brennan - now retired, say no more;
7. Josh Caddy - wanted out after just two seasons - gone;
9. Dixon Prestia - gun but injury problems of late;
10 Dan Gorringe - rated the best ruck of his draft year but in actual fact a dud - delisted;
11. Tom Lynch - Star
13. Seb Tape - injury prone, goer but can't kick for s**t, likely delisting candidate at the end of this year;
15. Traded to Geelong for god knows what.

I'm starting to believe there's something to this Gold Coast curse of sporting teams.

And you are forgetting the infatuation with marketing. While GWS went about recruiting every good young player in the business, the Suns were trying to convince the world Karmichael Hunt could play footy.

Everyone was quick to rip into Cotchin about getting useless easy touches, why not Ablett? Loves the cheapies and has the all about me attitude which we have seen since he has been at the Suns. But everyone seems to love him because he won a Brownlow by getting cheap easy possessions and uses the word mate more in sentences than number of breaths he has per minute

Been an absolute champion of the game, don't buy the cheap* stuff Chuckle - as an on field leader he's dragged a bunch of kids along well, sadly though I don't think he will get back to his 2014 pre injury dominance.

* Cotchin cheapies is one for the Tigers faithful?

No gain sacking the coach, hang in :thumbsu:

The AFL would be getting somewhat concerned about the Suns. Clearly GWS have executed their expansion blueprint much more successfully and are going to own the first round of the draft again. In comparison the Suns are absolutely nowhere right now. Yeah, they have some key injuries but that doesn't tell the full tale.

Ablett was a marketing goldmine and made the Suns a far sexier team than GWS from the start, but he is increasingly cooked now whereas GWS's decision to invest in (Folau aside) less glitzy stock with a long term view instead appears to be paying off big time.

Scott Clayton must be the most overrated recruitment manager in the business. He is in love with athletes over footballers to a fault. It cost the Bulldogs in the late naughties and his legacy at Brisbane is overrated too. It took Kinnear Beatson to put the final pieces of our premiership list together.

Queensland football is in the toilet right now at the elite level. Caro wrote a brilliant article this week on how the league dropped the ball with the Lions, and the Suns look to be in a world of pain too.

If Prestia and O'Meara take off at the end of the year the Suns will be on life support. They look like being post-premiership Brisbane. A bunch of plodders held up by one dominant key forward.

Last edited:
The AFL would be getting somewhat concerned about the Suns. Clearly GWS have executed their expansion blueprint much more successfully and are going to own the first round of the draft again. In comparison the Suns are absolutely nowhere right now. Yeah, they have some key injuries but that doesn't tell the full tale.

Ablett was a marketing goldmine and made the Suns a far sexier team than GWS from the start, but he is increasingly cooked now whereas GWS's decision to invest in less glitzy stock with a long term view instead appears to be paying off big time.

Scott Clayton must be the most overrated recruitment manager in the business. He is in love with athletes over footballers to a fault. It cost the Bulldogs in the late naughties and his legacy at Brisbane is overrated too. It took Kinnear Beatson to put the final pieces of our premiership list together.

Queensland football is in the toilet right now at the elite level. Caro wrote a brilliant article this week on how the league dropped the ball with the Lions, and the Suns look to be in a world of pain too, although not for lack of trying by the AFL... They gave the Suns a blank cheque who misspent it.

If Prestia and O'Meara take off at the end of the year the Suns will be on life support. They look like being post-premiership Brisbane. A bunch of plodders held up by one dominant key forward.
So that will leave the AFL with two basket cases in Qld - not good at all.

So that will leave the AFL with two basket cases - not good at all.

Yep, terrible. Yet Gillon seems more interested in pandering to the already powerful clubs on the already watered-down Academies. He's a stooge with no real sense of the broader football landscape.

The AFL are withholding funding for Brisbane's facilities because they are salty we turned down the Burpengary offer which (if we accepted it) would have made the Saints move to Seaford look like a stroke of genius.

The game is in very poor hands right now. Never thought I'd say it, but Jesus I miss Demetriou.

Yep, terrible. Yet Gillon seems more interested in pandering to the already powerful clubs on the already watered-down Academies. He's a stooge with no real sense of the broader football landscape.

The AFL are withholding funding for Brisbane's facilities because they are salty we turned down the Burpengary offer which (if we accepted it) would have made the Saints move to Seaford look like a stroke of genius.

The game is in very poor hands right now. Never thought I'd say it, but Jesus I miss Demetriou.
So if we trace back to the root cause of This ******* debacle, it's the ******* AFL. I knew it ;) Queensland has been become to the AFL what Australia is to world soccer. Just something to be used, abused, and pillaged, then forgotten about unless the agenda suits.

So if we trace back to the root cause of This ******* debacle, it's the ******* AFL. I knew it ;) Queensland has been become to the AFL what Australia is to world soccer. Just something to be used, abused, and pillaged, then forgotten about unless the agenda suits.

A source of TV rights revenue and not much else.

They'll step in when things are dire enough to affect that but not before. Certainly no "a stitch in time saves nine" philosophy at play here. Why treat a flesh wound early when you can wait for the leg to become gangrene and the patient to be on life support.

A source of TV rights revenue and not much else.

They'll step in when things are dire enough to affect that but not before. Certainly no "a stitch in time saves nine" philosophy at play here. Why treat a flesh wound early when you can wait for the leg to become gangrene and the patient to be on life support.
I have the solution...

2000px-Lion_and_the_Sun.svg.png

The South-East Queensland Sun-Lions.

11 homes games at the Gabba + 6 Away games at Metricon in a dodgy Hawthorn/NM Tassie like setup.
To seal the merger the AFL will chip in $20million to help erase debts.
The teams get to merge and look something like this -
B: A. Saad / S. May / D. Mcstay
HB: K. Kolodjahnij / H. Andrews / P. Hanley
C: J. O'Meara / D. Beams / D. Swallow
HF: D. Zorko / T. Lynch / J. Martin
F: G. Ablett / J. Schache / A. Christensen
R: S. Martin / T. Rockliff / D. Prestia
IC: M. Robinson / A. Hall / C. Ah Chee / P. Wright

And to even out the number of teams for the TV rights Fitzroy is given its license back with the same concessions GWS received. The Roy's might have been crap with managing money but they could sure develop star talent.

I totally agree. I think the biggest error GC made was recruiting GAJ. Yes he is a super player, but definitely not a leader which is exactly what a new,young club needs. GAJ accumulated so many possessions simply because his teammates hand him the ball, when they are in a better position themselves. He should be encouraging them to use the pill rather than dishing it off to him at every opportunity.
Well said

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure I was really ever convinced that Eade was the right man in the first place. He was obviously put in to sort out a rotten culture off the field and get some success on the field. But I would think that it would take a bit more than a year and six rounds to sort that out, good signs early in the season.

Reckon they need to recruit some hard nuts, they seem to have too many 'nice' players for want of a better word, only one to show a bit lately was May.

File him under Malthouse as old school coaches past it.
When will he be sacked?
You've now started these threads about Hardwick & Eade but not Buckley. File Buckley under Voss and Hird. Selfish egotistical players who are woeful teachers and motivators.

Rocket may well be in strife if the Suns freefall down the ladder continues.

He´s gotta be shaky. You can´t rebuild culture with weekly thrashings like this.
The only culture being built at the Suns is a losing culture.

I'd like to see how he would go with them with a half decent run with injuries. No O'Meara, No Swallow, Thompson has been injured a lot, May keeps getting rubbed out, Prestia seems to be injured a lot, then there is Ablett who seems to be playing injured/lacking confidance in his shoulder.

If they could get a starting midfield of O'Meara, Ablett, Prestia with Swallow, Richetelli & Martin in there as well, they are probably on par with GWS possibly even better. They do lack a decent ruckman though, which is where GWS take the choccies in midfield I reckon.

Get their blokes fit, I think they are as good as any side in the top 8

Before, Buckley and Hardwick.
Lol. Gold Coast have been decemated with injuries and have still won the samevamount of games as Richmond and Collingwood has combined

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back