Movie Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Spoilers and Rumors

Remove this Banner Ad

We've already had 4 Han Solo movies. More Lando is the only appealing part of it. Only the most fanboyish of fanboys would be interested in it what young Han Solo gets up to.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk
Han Solo is their most popular character and guaranteed to put bums on seats. What I don't understand is why they would rush into it, when simply the name Star Wars is putting bums on seats and Harrison Ford is still fresh in our minds from The Force Awakens. They were wise to choose Rogue One for their first film, when the lack of known characters wouldn't put anyone off and they could start to open up the storyline possibilities. But surely it would have made more sense to make an Obi-Wan movie with Ewan McGregor; still well known and popular, while keeping Han Solo in your pocket for when the novelty wears off.

Both Obi-Wan and Han Solo have had their time for me. Obi-Wan has been in six of the films, a main in three of them, and Solo in four, all as a main.

I see how to the more casual Star Wars fan they put bums on seats, but I'm a bit more than casual, I've grown and lived with these characters. I'm ready to move on. It's the hardcore fans, the next level up, that crave it, but they would crave anything new and Star Wars related.

Also, Harrison Ford is Han Solo. I'm hesitant to see how the character goes.

Sent from mTalk

Last edited:
I agree for the most part, simply seeing it from a business perspective. They don't need to appeal to the hardcore fans, they need to appeal to the casual fans who will make the difference between a successful film and a blockbuster. If they can use known products to draw people in, build trust in the quality of the films, then they will be able to expand and tell more stories. Rogue One was a good choice, it introduced entirely new characters for hardcore fans, but had the Death Star and Vader to draw in the rest.

I don't need a Han Solo film and if they do insist on doing one, I would have preferred there to be more breathing space from Harrison Ford.

As for Obi-Wan, McGregor was about the best thing from the prequels, it would be nice if he had one quality movie in which to shine.

Obi-Wan has had his adventure though. Adding in something would reek of nothing more than a tasteless retcon. If they want to go down that route, for me they be best off doing a Clone Wars movie while Ewan and Hayden are young enough to pull it off, but that would be a prequel era Rogue One.

Setting something between Ep III and Star Wars is silly I find. Yes I'm aware as part of official cannon Obi is fighting Darth Maul again thanks to a kids show, but that's different to a movie.

Sent from mTalk

There is 20 years between Episode III and Star Wars, and Obi-Wan obviously remained in touch with Bail Organa. I don't see how a story set in that time period would be an unnecessary retcon (other than that all movies are essentially unnecessary). Plus, McGregor is still the right age to play the character.

I missed that argument, what was it?
Bluh. On seeing RotS Dan spontaneously decided that Palps was faking losing the fight with Mace. Reasonable enough theory but Dan being Dan, he decided that his argument was fact, and would go absolutely ballistic at anyone who disagreed with him even slightly.

You know the drill; he would completely ignore anything anyone else said and simply type page after page of the exact same arguments he had already made a thousand times before, only reworded slightly.

Totally banal but the scale of it was amazing. Makes his Starkiller episode look like a minor skirmish. Comes up every now and then, and even after more than ten years he still swings at it like a blindfolded drunk at a piñata.

Well the Starkiller thing was just him, I don't think anyone had a hard stance disagreeing with him, it had gotten to a point where he was just arguing with himself.

I for one agreed with him.

That sounds a bit more... Well, objective. One I don't agree with. Sounds like fun.

Sent from mTalk

Ewan McGregor means reminding people of the prequel trilogy and Disney wants to avoid that until they've really tapped the much more loved original trilogy well dry.

And, no, Jimmy Smits being in Rogue One for 40 seconds isn't the same thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ewan McGregor means reminding people of the prequel trilogy and Disney wants to avoid that until they've really tapped the much more loved original trilogy well dry.

And, no, Jimmy Smits being in Rogue One for 40 seconds isn't the same thing.
But they did put him in Force Awakens. Albeit a very very small role but he was in it nonetheless and well publicized.

I'd give Jake a pass considering the unfair s**t he copped as a result. Some things you just don't do to a kid.

Watched recently, his delivery is good. It's a little obnoxious and uneven, but to me that's fits the character. This is the 9 year old kid who becomes Vader. Beats Christensen's one and half films of wooden delivery.

Sent from mTalk

I think everyone except Hayden and Portman were alright. Even Jake Lloyd outside of 'yippee!'.

Sent from mTalk

I think it was the writing and direction that let down the actors. GL moved them around like props as he churned through his 50 awful setups a day.

I think it was the writing and direction that let down the actors. GL moved them around like props as he churned through his 50 awful setups a day.

Whole heartedly agree but also to add, the bad acting is overrated as a whole. It just happens that most of it comes from two of the three leads, which makes it look worse than it was. They were a bit too inexperienced to know how to deal with it and probably just rested on the laurels of being in a Star Wars movie.

Sent from mTalk

I'd give Jake a pass considering the unfair s**t he copped as a result. Some things you just don't do to a kid.
Pretty terrible what happened to that guy really. Messed him up big time.

Han Solo is their most popular character and guaranteed to put bums on seats. What I don't understand is why they would rush into it, when simply the name Star Wars is putting bums on seats and Harrison Ford is still fresh in our minds from The Force Awakens. They were wise to choose Rogue One for their first film, when the lack of known characters wouldn't put anyone off and they could start to open up the storyline possibilities. But surely it would have made more sense to make an Obi-Wan movie with Ewan McGregor; still well known and popular, while keeping Han Solo in your pocket for when the novelty wears off.
Potential rumour/spoiler about Rey's parents, but I don't know anything more than the next person, so if you're on top of the current theories, there's nothing here to be spoiled.
I wonder if they are holding off on OB1 for a reason. Ewan has said he would be happy to do one (pretty sure?) and he was a very popular character, so I can't see them not wanting to cash in on those facts.
If there are rumours/theories circulating about Rey's lineage on the Kenobi side of things, perhaps they are just waiting for that to play out in the main movies. Would make sense to tie it in and give Ben a love interest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back