Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it goes deeper in that Sloane didn't want to allow one of our younger mids such as Berry or Schoenberg to cement a full time mid position for the remainder of the season. It seemed a strange decision that he would permanently risk the usage of his finger to lead us to 15th or 16th. He knows that once he is out of the midfield his importance will diminish. Never underestimate the selfishness of some of our experienced brigade. It has been endemic for some time.

No doubt, opening bounce midfielder is a status that isn't handed back easily. Sloane's spot in the side going forward isn't in question, but he doesn't want to lose the wings on his shoulder. With a guy like Thommo, you can understand it, he was midfielder or bust. But if Sloane gets his body right, he's got 2 contracted years to continue to deliver playing half forward/back with some time in the midfield. Where I think the coaches might be making this hard, is that they seem to want to run as few players through that rotation as possible. 3 that play 100% then Seed then the kids. If Crouch wasn't injured, that'd be 4 guys playing sharing all 3 stoppage rotation units and none of the kids would be required. I don't think our club thinks a deep midfield is part of the recipe of success. Continuity week to week, continuity within games.

Would Sloane's hand remain up if he was going down to the 2s to help develop the kids there? fu** no.

basically.

I also can’t believe there are folk on here thinking Doedee shouldn’t be captain for another 2 years, he’s the most natural leader we have in the club. It’s a measure of Nicks leadership to whether he anoints Tom for next year. I love Sloane as a player but he isn’t a leader.

As a club we need strength in Leadership and Tom has that, Rory hasn’t and if he had any self reflection he’d had stood down a while back

He's not leading by example if he's overcooked the 'play through pain' mantra and chosen to delay surgery so he can perform poorly as a midfielder. It's not rocket science. His decision to continue playing injured is clearly up to him and that is not good leadership. It was you that changed the scope to his selection being up to the coaches. I can spell it out for you. You're saying that if he doesn't perform up to standard while injured then that's on the coaches for selecting him. But if does perform then he's showing, "effort to push to the limits of what your body is able to deliver as a footballer, then he's always set a bloody good example and still does" and that's good leadership. So your view is that no matter what Rory does, he's golden in a leadership sense. This is not true.

Right now he is showing terrible leadership delaying surgery in a bottom six year and hogging 87% of TOG as a midfielder whilst gathering 18 touches when there's Schoey, Pedlar, Berry and even McHenry that should be sharing those midfield minutes. A good leader right now wouldn't crawl to the finish line, they'd pull the pin on the season, lead and coach the kids from the interchange bench and start preparing physically for 2022. Playing injured and poorly is sh*t leadership.

We agree on the couple of outcomes that we want moving forward - Sloane not being captain next season, and moving out of the midfield this year.

I dont see his drop in output as strongly related to his finger injury though. Disposal/handling issues sure, but he cant get near the ball.
He was never more than an average talent who in his prime was able to become a very good midfielder through will/effort. Now he's 31, taken a battering over the years, and in steep decline. Surgery wont fix that.

The last few pages of this thread are gross. Sloane is not playing badly. He’s still miles above VB and a declining Thommo with a lot more still to offer. Suddenly getting called out as ‘not a leader’ is just rubbish. Leadership isn’t being the best player in the ground. Captains who are chosen because they’re the ‘best’ are usually underwhelming.

I absolutely think that he should be spending a bit less time in the middle and hope that everyone else steps up in the next 12 months. Still has nothing to do with his leadership. He still tackles, runs, competes, converts when needed and does more than enough to hold his own in there.

He has Absolutely lead by example with effort, gut running and the will to win and push himself in his career. These are more important than stats and ego when it comes to captancy. Danger tried to do it all himself, tex often tried to do to much and put it on his shoulders. Sloane is the type of guy who tries to bring everyone else up with effort and intensity. Out of all of our players over the past few years he is the only one I can remember winning games for us when they were on the line and having next to unmatched fortitude to gut out games.

None of us can speak for off field stuff. We just want the team to get better and that means new and different will always be seen better than status quo, but I think there’s a reason Sloane was chosen and remains captain during this rebuild phase and still think he is our best option.

Getting him out of the middle will not only create more opportunities for the younger brigade, but it will help prolong his career. He can still run through there at times, but keep it to late in quarters and in close games when we need him.

Other high quality players around the league have done it in recent years - Lewis, Burgoyne, Sidebottom, Bartel, Ablett, Gray, etc. Brisbane are starting to do similar with Zorko, while Selwood and Pendlebury have spent time on the wing and half back respectively in recent seasons.

The last few pages of this thread are gross. Sloane is not playing badly. He’s still miles above VB and a declining Thommo with a lot more still to offer. Suddenly getting called out as ‘not a leader’ is just rubbish. Leadership isn’t being the best player in the ground. Captains who are chosen because they’re the ‘best’ are usually underwhelming.

I absolutely think that he should be spending a bit less time in the middle and hope that everyone else steps up in the next 12 months. Still has nothing to do with his leadership. He still tackles, runs, competes, converts when needed and does more than enough to hold his own in there.

He has Absolutely lead by example with effort, gut running and the will to win and push himself in his career. These are more important than stats and ego when it comes to captancy. Danger tried to do it all himself, tex often tried to do to much and put it on his shoulders. Sloane is the type of guy who tries to bring everyone else up with effort and intensity. Out of all of our players over the past few years he is the only one I can remember winning games for us when they were on the line and having next to unmatched fortitude to gut out games.

None of us can speak for off field stuff. We just want the team to get better and that means new and different will always be seen better than status quo, but I think there’s a reason Sloane was chosen and remains captain during this rebuild phase and still think he is our best option.

He's not ahead of a declining Thommo in terms of performance. Almost identical. Thommo started his 2016 averaging about 30 touches for the first 5-6 rounds but then about 21 the rest of the year. Sloane has 2 games averaging 32 and 9 games averaging 20. I didn't read the rest as it's likely fantasy given how wrong you were at the very start. Sloane has been poor and now he's denying kids midfield minutes to play out with a busted finger because his bro said he should is laughable.

Here they are side by side. His role is to get the pill or stop the opponents from getting it ir stifling their clearances. He's doing exceedingly little of that. Especially compared to Thommo in his final AFL year. But you can continue to live in la la land with Rory.

F51378FD-96FD-48DC-8CCB-C1BC04EA5DBF.png

Getting him out of the middle will not only create more opportunities for the younger brigade, but it will help prolong his career. He can still run through there at times, but keep it to late in quarters and in close games when we need him.

Other high quality players around the league have done it in recent years - Lewis, Burgoyne, Sidebottom, Bartel, Ablett, Gray, etc. Brisbane are starting to do similar with Zorko, while Selwood and Pendlebury have spent time on the wing and half back respectively in recent seasons.

Maybe their brothers endorsed the move, Rory's brother might not think it's a good idea. Reality is Rory doesn't care, he knows he's struggling physically, but he's got 2 more years plus a guaranteed 3rd if he plays a couple of good games in 2023 and goes public with his desire for an extension. And like Thommo, he'll be an opening bounce midfielder until he's retired or gifted a final gold watch season. It's part if our club's culture of respect for senior players.

No doubt, opening bounce midfielder is a status that isn't handed back easily. Sloane's spot in the side going forward isn't in question, but he doesn't want to lose the wings on his shoulder. With a guy like Thommo, you can understand it, he was midfielder or bust. But if Sloane gets his body right, he's got 2 contracted years to continue to deliver playing half forward/back with some time in the midfield. Where I think the coaches might be making this hard, is that they seem to want to run as few players through that rotation as possible. 3 that play 100% then Seed then the kids. If Crouch wasn't injured, that'd be 4 guys playing sharing all 3 stoppage rotation units and none of the kids would be required. I don't think our club thinks a deep midfield is part of the recipe of success. Continuity week to week, continuity within games.
Agree. They should watch the Bulldogs. They often run 6 or 7 through there keeping them all fresh. If you play mid for them you must be able to also play forward or back. Blighty did the same thing with McLeod, Goodwin, Edwards, Johnson, Riccuito.

He's not ahead of a declining Thommo in terms of performance. Almost identical. Thommo started his 2016 averaging about 30 touches for the first 5-6 rounds but then about 21 the rest of the year. Sloane has 2 games averaging 32 and 9 games averaging 20. I didn't read the rest as it's likely fantasy given how wrong you were at the very start. Sloane has been poor and now he's denying kids midfield minutes to play out with a busted finger because his bro said he should is laughable.

Here they are side by side. His role is to get the pill or stop the opponents from getting it ir stifling their clearances. He's doing exceedingly little of that. Especially compared to Thommo in his final AFL year. But you can continue to live in la la land with Rory.

View attachment 1172808
We can agree to disagree on that then. Stats are similar. I believe rory is more versatile, can play HFF, better defensively and better in the air yhan Thommo. Thommo was plodding to congestion in his last few years. I dont think Rory is there yet. He at least has options to get out of the midfield where Thommo didnt (if the coaches pull the trigger on it). Also. It makes sense to read a post you quote otherwise you miss the point.

Yes all were good points until the idea that he'd kick 40 plus goals a year. I don't mind Rendell and can be accused of being overly optimistic at times, but that call made me scoff.
The most ludicrous part of the suggestion was that we might shift Sloane forward

Not a snowball's chance in hell

The most ludicrous part of the suggestion was that we might shift Sloane forward

Not a snowball's chance in hell
I don't think it's a crazy idea. He could alternate with Berry. Sloane is a decent mark for his size, and generally a good shot for goal. He's not going to kick 40 goals (lol) but swapping them around would allow Berry time to develop his capabilities as an inside mid.

I don't think it's a crazy idea. He could alternate with Berry. Sloane is a decent mark for his size, and generally a good shot for goal. He's not going to kick 40 goals (lol) but swapping them around would allow Berry time to develop his capabilities as an inside mid.
Sorry, I mean that the suggestion itself isn't ludicrous. Very sensible actually. Lots of positives. Thinking that we might actually consider it is the ludicrous bit

Sorry, I mean that the suggestion itself isn't ludicrous. Very sensible actually. Lots of positives. Thinking that we might actually consider it is the ludicrous bit
We've done many things over the last 12 months that would have been considered ludicrous under the previous regime

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've done many things over the last 12 months that would have been considered ludicrous under the previous regime
Sloane attending every centre bounce is inside those last 12 months

Matty Rendell nailed it in his Trade Radio review of the Crows, where he reckons Sloaney should play almost exclusively in the forward line next year. Takes a good grab, and would drive a standard for forward half pressure.
Many of us have thought this for some time now

Re Sloane forward. If we want to continue to get experience into the new players in the midfield, forward is the only place I can see Sloane spending a majority of his time. Halfback is the only other place he could play, but I think we now have with Dawson and hopefully, a fit Milera along with Smith, Sholl, Jones etc, there are better faster, better kicks than Sloane. Think an 80-20 split between HF and mid-time is the best place for Rory going forward. 20-30 goals for a season would be a good result.

Re Sloane forward. If we want to continue to get experience into the new players in the midfield, forward is the only place I can see Sloane spending a majority of his time. Halfback is the only other place he could play, but I think we now have with Dawson and hopefully, a fit Milera along with Smith, Sholl, Jones etc, there are better faster, better kicks than Sloane. Think an 80-20 split between HF and mid-time is the best place for Rory going forward. 20-30 goals for a season would be a good result.
I can't see him being a permanent HF next year, but if he spent 40-50% there that would be a great start.

And ??

Just because you say it's ludicrous to suggest he'll play HF, doesn't make it so.
Well, he didn't when we finished 18th and 15th and there was very little riding on every result and thus the perfect time to experiment and throw the magnets around.

What's true is that it was an equally good idea this year and he didn't.

The only difference going forward is that we'll be expecting to climb the ladder.

the-joke-e-png.972356

I can't see him being a permanent HF next year, but if he spent 40-50% there that would be a great start.
We want Berry, Pedler, Schoenburg, possibly Milera and hopefully, pick 4 mid to get as much mid time as possible. Crouch, Laird and Keays will be the main 3 in the middle with possible higher centre bounce rotation through the half-forward and bench. I for one hope we don't have all of the three in at centre bounces and adding Sloane to the slow midfield rotation would be problematic...just my thoughts.

yeah he could, but it’s unlikely. When you think about under 2 goals a game it doesn’t sound like much, but how many forwards actually kick 40+ in a year? Not many

Shane McAdam kicked 25 from 15 games this year.

When you consider how poor our supply was, and how terrible his year was - then a quality competitor like Sloane, with his specific skill set should absolutely be targeting a 40 goal season

Kicking 40 goals a season is pretty high, would be equal 19th this season in the entire AFL

On par with Pickett and J. Cameron, more than Max King, Heeney, Tom Lynch, etc.

Not sure a relatively slow 32-year-old (at the start of next season) has that in him

Back