Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How sad, pretty disappointed the club didn't say it was time at the end of last season. Wasted a list spot in the end, no reason He should have been going around again.
The 2 aren’t really linked though are they

If he was retiring because of poor form and/or soft tissue injuries you could say we should have seen it coming but not this- this isn’t age ‘ decline related or predictable. Sloane and/or the club never got the chance to be proven right/wrong.

We won’t even ever know if he was going to end up spending the season in the 2s

Why wait another few week Sloaney. Just announce it now. Have a send off in next weeks match with a lap of honor

He's a literal moron, he believes he is Tex incarnate and has 2-3 years of glory ahead of him. Unfortunately, Rory has never prioritised anyone but himself. Under his leadership, our group descended the depths and we became toxic. And whilst this was happening, Rory was spruiking how everything was brilliant. Better brother, father, sister, son, niece, nephew, grandson, teammate, coach, assistant coach, blah blah, blah. He's just a moron that explains why we've been no good throughout his stewardship.

Last edited:
The 2 aren’t really linked though are they

If he was retiring because of poor form and/or soft tissue injuries you could say we should have seen it coming but not this- this isn’t age ‘ decline related or predictable. Sloane and/or the club never got the chance to be proven right/wrong.

We won’t even ever know if he was going to end up spending the season in the 2s
Nah he has sucked. He wouldn't get a game anywhere else. The club and the blue rinse/apricot slice/facebook/reddit set are obsessed with him.

Although retirement for Sloane hasn't been announced, the rhetoric from the club suggests a round 2 announcement for our first home game. So he gets to farewell the fans.

If this is correct and does happen, I would like to point out that I did call it two weeks ago. Yay me!

Pack us up then. If there's no Rory, there's no AFC.

How sad, pretty disappointed the club didn't say it was time at the end of last season. Wasted a list spot in the end, no reason He should have been going around again.

The reason is that Nicks desperately wanted him in the 23. Remember last year, they couldn't even rest him fully, he had to be sub for 2 games to get his freshen up. And remember how they couldn't bear to see 'omit' next to his name, so they named him in the 22 and then did a 'game day change'. It's a cult and Nicks fully bought in. That's why he went around again.

As sad it is for him to end this way, it’s better for his legacy.

If he played on, sucked more than he did last year, the scrutiny would have been immense and eventually he would have had to be dropped. If we were out of finals contention he’d get a farewell game, if we were in contention he’d finish out his career in the SANFL.

Eventually Nicks would have had to drop him.

Now he goes out a wounded hero in the eyes of many. For others he’s a bloke who was a very good player and great for a period, who stitched up the club to a long term deal and then couldn’t see the writing on the wall and put himself before the needs of the club.

As sad it is for him to end this way, it’s better for his legacy.

If he played on, sucked more than he did last year, the scrutiny would have been immense and eventually he would have had to be dropped. If we were out of finals contention he’d get a farewell game, if we were in contention he’d finish out his career in the SANFL.

Eventually Nicks would have had to drop him.

Now he goes out a wounded hero in the eyes of many. For others he’s a bloke who was a very good player and great for a period, who stitched up the club to a long term deal and then couldn’t see the writing on the wall and put himself before the needs of the club.
Is he retiring ? Probably for the best for many reasons

No idea, just going on the vibe from Theo’s report

News reports don't generally deal in rumours and i suspect the club has deliberately set this up so supporters aren't blindsided. Then there would be anger and accusations of keeping supporters in the dark about how serious the injury was, especially when he came back to train.

I think he should retire. At his age and form, it really isn't worth further damaging his legacy.

The reason is that Nicks desperately wanted him in the 23. Remember last year, they couldn't even rest him fully, he had to be sub for 2 games to get his freshen up. And remember how they couldn't bear to see 'omit' next to his name, so they named him in the 22 and then did a 'game day change'. It's a cult and Nicks fully bought in. That's why he went around again.
Nicks would get Scott Thompson back if possible.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will embarrass himself 50x worse than Brodie is right now if he plays another AFL game. With the additional risk of going ******* blind. The AFL almost need to step in here because we’ve made it abundantly clear we won’t. Just pathetic the note his career will end on, both himself and the club to blame

Will embarrass himself 50x worse than Brodie is right now if he plays another AFL game. With the additional risk of going ******* blind. The AFL almost need to step in here because we’ve made it abundantly clear we won’t. Just pathetic the note his career will end on, both himself and the club to blame
The club is spineless. How hard is it to tell him he is done? ******* useless club.

He will be given every possible chance to play in the next 2 weeks

We need a Rory endorphin rush
Ok I concede the club may well be doing what is best for Rory and we have asked him to retire and to be given a send off

Knowing we are a club who like our endorphin rush and set up PR spin opportunities quicker than a hula hoop champion

Going back to Nicks extension announcement and doing it before our first home game we do like home game rushes

We also need a boost in crowd numbers after we are in a big hole at 2-6 and with Brisbane to come

I will suggest we wont choose a Showdown as the crowd will turn up to that - next home game Brisbane - thats a possible loss so no

Home game v West Coast would be the perfect time - we could be 2-8 and in need of a rush

Rory to retire and do the Toyota run v West Coast

I'm predicting... Goods News Crows Fans Rory to make is return against the power on Thursday night!! massive inclusion to get our season back on track.

I heard he was hanging out at Sunglass Hut with Mason Cox

Back