Autopsy Round 1 – GWS Giants vs Western Bulldogs, Sunday 25th March 2018, UNSW Oval, 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, I noted earlier it wasn't really promoted - a bit of complacency I suspect. Then today was pretty shitty; gusty winds and threat of rain. I didn't see a big turnout by Doggies fans, maybe only 20% or less of the crowd so that all added up to a lower than desirable crowd. 10k was actually better than it appeared about 30 minutes before kickoff, when the crowd was very sparse.

Great game by the boys. Definately played as a team for the first time !!

Interested in why the crowd was so crap. 10k at manuka is the worst for a while

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Weather looked bad in a pretty crappy venue.

My analysis:

Giants easily beat Dogs

This was driven by two key factors:

1. Giants are good

2. Dogs are bad, and some players may be contemplating if they would be happier with a new coach

I don’t think it is possible to draw too many further conclusions...

That was a very easy watch. The Giants play a very enjoyable style of play when everyone is running in waves like today.

I thought Delidio was actually quite good. His clean hands in the contest were excellent. He'd be a good option in there as a clearance player although there's no shortage of those in this side!

Great game by the boys. Definately played as a team for the first time !!

Interested in why the crowd was so crap. 10k at manuka is the worst for a while

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
Predictions for weather were far worse than the reality.
Next game against Freo could be anything. Dockers are all but invisible in canberra

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo draw low wherever they go, which is why they play in Tasmania a lot.
No amount of promotion is going to overcome that.
Better Manuka than Spotless.

I think promotion for the entire code is substantially low. Even in the heartland, I can't remember seeing a single ad this pre-season.

I think promotion for the entire code is substantially low. Even in the heartland, I can't remember seeing a single ad this pre-season.
A lot of promotion has been online this off season from what I can tell. Havent seen anything on TV, but have seen 4 Believe in Never ads (GWS, Swans, Tigers and Saints) on Facebook numerous times

Actually felt there was a greater percentage of supporters in Giants Colors then in previous games in Canberra.Also was a share of Dogs supporters.I think the weather forecast and how it felt like it might seriously piss down at any moment scared off neutral AFL supporters.I personally prefer the feel around Manuka pregame to Spotless.Like sitting on the hill as well. .That ToJ hit on McRae was near me and I was close enough to hear the General swear at Haynes.Classic.

Well, that was great to watch. We started strong, and apart from letting the Dogs dominate in the second part of that first quarter, and the first minutes of the last quarter (then us not kicking straight in the back half of that last quarter), I'm sure that Leon would be happy that most of what he would have been looking for was achieved. However, let's not get ahead of ourselves as the Dogs were missing a few players and couldn't cover them as well as we covered our outs, and I thought they were rather poor.

Positives everywhere:
- gameplan worked; plenty of run in the Giants' attack & efficient kicking for the most part
- Rory rucked pretty much one out most of the game & while he wasn't dominant, I thought he held his own & also showed no sign of groin soreness
- the defensive set-up looked solid: at times we had 5 talls & two mediums (Davis, Corr, Tommo, Haynes, TOJ, Shaw & Whitfield) behind the ball, but they contained the Dogs' makeshift forwardline
- TOJ was pretty good: 20 disposals at 95% efficiency, thought he did his job quite well, and replaced Nate Wilson's long kicking - tall but quite flexible too
- Shaw back to his usual reliable self
- Whitfield had most disposals for GWS & although a high clanger count made a good fist of his half-back role
- Davis, Corr, Tommo & Haynes all reliable
- forward line worked a treat: Cameron, HH & Toby were all mobile (HH played some backline time too) & marked & kicked well - great to see Jezza & Toby in great early form
- Zac Langdon seemed a bit nervous - muffed pretty much everything for the first half, but tackled well & hence did his job; great to see him kick a goal & will give him confidence
- midfield worked brilliantly as a team: we really missed Cogs' balanced game last year (possessions, contested game, tackling & goals) so great to see him back & on song; Kelly, Shiel, Ward were all good, but Timmy Taranto had a great game as our clearance king (just needs to work on his disposals a touch)
- Lids was serviceable but not great, though will benefit from the run

Didn't really see too many negatives, apart from the last quarter bombing for goals; until then we'd kicked 18.4 & were really accurate, especially in the conditions.

No need to make any enforced changes for the Pies' game, but interesting if Scully & Hopper are available. Scully would be a definite in if fit (for Sam Reid maybe?), Hopper maybe would need some more game time.
Great review...Love the fact also that TOJ is a left footer.Lefties always seem to get more time to distribute the ball.Whitfield is basically ambidextrous as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back