Round 1, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

We played 5 on the bench didn't we? So a few replacements and one out.

I'd expect we play two KPDs to replicate the defensive style we rolled out yesterday (which probably leaves Cordy out of round 1) with Crozier as that interceptor and perhaps Wood comes in when fit as he is rated highly internally. That puts Williams and Daniel as the two other defenders starting on the ground, rotating with Duryea as the defensive bench option.

I think Lippi misses out for Macrae, I'm not convinced by Bailey Dale so he's out for Naughton, and McNeill was good but may have to wait (especially if Treloar is fit). Hannan won't be ready for the start of the season and it seems JJ will play a utility role and if Richards is being developed as a back (where he plays his best footy) he gets squeezed out too.
To be honest I'm not sold on Jong either but the MC will probably play him. He has real ticker but his disposal scares me.

That puts our round 1 side as being:

B: Williams Keath Wood
HB: Daniel Gardner Crozier
C: Hunter Macrae Treloar
Foll: Martin Bont Libba
HF: VDM Naughton Dunkley
F: Wallis Bruce English
Int: JJ, Smith, (two spots up for grabs - Jong and West perhaps?)

That's not set in stone, just how I think the MC will look at round 1.
I take and agree with your points, but I still look at that and struggle to see a way in for Duryea. That side isn't really screaming out for another defender, for starters. More significantly, even without Wood yesterday, Duryea was still not able to feature in the firsts. So realistically, while you hypothetically have two slots open, there are presumably at least six players ahead of Duryea in the pecking order based on the teams selected yesterday: Lipinski, Jong, Dale, West, McNeil and Scott. It's plausible that he upped his 'ranking' yesterday, but combining how far down the list he was yesterday with the fact that we opted not to include him even when down a player in his position, you would have to think he's a long shot for R1.

...there are presumably at least six players ahead of Duryea in the pecking order based on the teams selected yesterday: Lipinski, Jong, Dale, West, McNeil and Scott. It's plausible that he upped his 'ranking' yesterday, but combining how far down the list he was yesterday with the fact that we opted not to include him even when down a player in his position, you would have to think he's a long shot for R1.
I think it was more injury management for Duryea, but of those six players I want West in ahead of him (really like Rhylee) but prefer Duryea to the others. Yeah Lippi was quite involved but Macrae and Treloar easily slot in ahead of him, and McNeil was impressive and is in the mix as a smoky.

I also prefer Duryea to JJ as Duryea can actually defend and I can't see another small defender on our list that can actually stop an opponent. From a list management point of view I actually think we should be developing one although have seen a few signs from Richards as a defensive forward to suggest he could fill that role in time.

Yeah, why has Cordy retained the same body shape year on year? is it to not bulk up too much and retain speed, or is it just not working hard enough?
Have you seen Ayce? He’s very similar, there’s just no definition. I’m not suggesting he doesn’t work hard enough, but he could work as hard as Dunkley and it’s possibly his body wouldn’t change.

FB: Crozier, Keath, Williams
HB: JJ, Gardner, Daniel
C: Treloar, Bont, Hunter
HF: VDM, Naughton, Smith
FF: Wallis, Bruce, West
R: Martin, Macrae, Libba
Int: Duryea, English, Dunkley, Cavarra.

Richards, Jong, Schache, Cordy next in line.

FB: Crozier, Keath, Duryea
HB: Daniel, Gardner, Williams
C: Smith, Bont, Hunter
HF: English, Naughton, Dunks
FF: Wallis, Bruce, O’Neil/Cav
R: Martin, Macrae, Treloar
Int: JJ , Libba, VDM, Richards

Can’t carry another tall in this team so Cordy misses and Gardner plays but could be either way.

Duryea to play on Degoey. He is by far and away our best lock down defender.

English to roam from forward and leave majority ruck to Stef.

Treloar, McRae, Smith to rotate through the opposite wing to Hunter.

Last edited:
FB: Crozier, Keath, Duryea
HB: Daniel, Gardner, Williams
C: Smith, Bont, Hunter
HF: English, Naughton, Dunks
FF: Wallis, Bruce, O’Neil/Cav
R: Martin, Macrae, Treloar
Int: JJ , Libba,. VDM, Richards/VDM

From what I’ve seen and heard I see two 50/50 picks and the rest is pretty set.

Can’t carry another tall in this team so Cordy misses and Gardner plays but could be either way.

Duryea to play on Degoey. He is by far and away our best lock down defender.

English to roam from forward and leave majority ruck to Stef.

Treloar, McRae, Smith to rotate through the opposite wing to Hunter.

where does West rate on the MD scale?

could be taking your McNeil/Cav pocket

where does West rate on the MD scale?

could be taking your McNeil/Cav pocket

I like him and think he will make it just trying to pick a team that I think Bev will pick. He is in line for that spot but Bev likes to back new blokes in so I just have a feeling he may do that with ONeil. Spot could be filled by any of Cav, West, Richards or VDM and if JUH plays against Melbourne and rips it up he is still a sneaky imo.

Why is Gardner in everyone's team, in the mix yes but surely not a walkup start. Cordy, Bruce if tried back next practice game, and Young in the mix.

Why is Gardner in everyone's team, in the mix yes but surely not a walkup start. Cordy, Bruce if tried back next practice game, and Young in the mix.

Because Bev is darkly consistent and Gardner and Cordy always starts years slow.

Bruce isn’t going back and neither is Naughts and Young seems to have sh!t on Bevs front mat

The problem with selecting Schache will once again be down to a few major reasons and the balance of our forward line is probably the largest.

We don't have a high pressure small group of forwards. Think 2013-2015 hawthorn that had Rioli, Puopolo and Bruest as the 3 smalls, all of whom offered enormous defensive pressure and goal scoring power. Meanwhile in years gone by its been our midfield rotations and hybrid players that have been thrown into that role.

If we are going to continue with this formula then we must have a grouping of KPF's that offer above average defensive pressure. Naughton already does this extremely well and from what I saw of JUH, he offers similar aggression and closing speed.

My main takeaway of the reserves game was exactly that. Schache found plenty of space and is just about the most skilled 200cm player in the comp, however I saw JUH immediately offering a more suited style of play to our senior forward line.

I presume Schache will get a couple of games at AFL this season because he will be too good for VFL level. It's a matter of whether that ability to find space can be attributed to our style of play. How often does Nick Riewoldt say that the long lead up forward goes to die at the dogs with the heavy handball style we have.

Just my view but the KPF's with excellent speed and aggression who can turn 10m into a 1m-2m of space will be more effective under Beveridge than the endurance based key forward.

Schaches best chance at senior level is if he can play the 2nd ruck role well and we have an injury to our ruck stocks.

Have you seen Ayce? He’s very similar, there’s just no definition. I’m not suggesting he doesn’t work hard enough, but he could work as hard as Dunkley and it’s possibly his body wouldn’t change.
i know what youre saying but i find it hard to believe that guys cant at least put on some size.

wasnt the narrative around Ayce that he bulked up too much early and lost his agility. didnt Bevo use him as a cautionary tale of trying to change the body of very young men prematurely?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is my 2c of what I think it will be:

Daniel Cordy Duryea
Crozier Keath Williams
Hunter Bont Bmith
West Naughton VDM
English Bruce Wallis
Martin, Macrae, Libba

Dunkley, Treloar, Wood, JJ

Decent positional depth with Gardner/Young, Richards/Jong and Schache, JUH, Cavarra.

All could fit in for someone else depending on what we need, Gardner if looking more lockdown or Young for interceptor of Wood is not right for example.

I think we will go with 3 talls in the forward line, so Schache would be 4th in line pending form. With 3 talls we need pressure, so alongside Wallis we need 2 that can cover the ground and crack in. West definitely will & VDM needs to add some more to his game, but his pace would be very handy. Done enough last season to have earned his spot

Because he played the seniors game this week, and both Cordy and Young were far from impressive in the seconds. No reason to think Bev would change that up from here unless Cordy or Young play well against Melbourne

Simple question - would you prefer Bruce, Gardener or Young To play on on Cox, Hawkins, Lynch, Charlie, Daniher

Bruce to m could play the role we ask of him - FB. Our spine then looks way better:

Naughton

Schache (English)

Martin/English

Keath

Bruce (Cordy)’

Sorry all, but I’m officially on the Naughton to CHB train. Nothing will ever get past him and Keath becomes a much better FB. With our forward delivery I can’t even see why we’d benefit having him at CHF. Bruce is much fitter and we will need to utilise English deep too. Make the switch Bev.

Sorry all, but I’m officially on the Naughton to CHB train. Nothing will ever get past him and Keath becomes a much better FB. With our forward delivery I can’t even see why we’d benefit having him at CHF. Bruce is much fitter and we will need to utilise English deep too. Make the switch Bev.

Watch our forward line pressure go out the window if Naughton moved back. And if you replace Naughton with Schache (who is solely reliant on pinpoint delivery) then against the good teams we just aren't going to have enough firepower up forward. Its still our weakest area of the ground and we cannot take out our best and most important forward.

It's not a major consideration but Naughton's personality seems more suited up forward. I get the feeling he loves being the marquee forward/main man.

Watch our forward line pressure go out the window if Naughton moved back. And if you replace Naughton with Schache (who is solely reliant on pinpoint delivery) then against the good teams we just aren't going to have enough firepower up forward. Its still our weakest area of the ground and we cannot take out our best and most important forward.

It's not a major consideration but Naughton's personality seems more suited up forward. I get the feeling he loves being the marquee forward/main man.

If we’re relying on our CHF who is 196cm to apply pressure, we’re in serious strife. Where’s Hannan, Wallis, Vandermeer, Weightman, Dale?

If we’re relying on our CHF who is 196cm to apply pressure, we’re in serious strife. Where’s Hannan, Wallis, Vandermeer, Weightman, Dale?

We don't have many high level pressure players in our forward line. Historically we've been pretty poor in that facet of the game. The only time we got it completely right was in the 2016 finals and that grouping of Picken, Smith, Dickson etc arguably won us a premiership.

Wallis is pretty good at it but players like Dale, Lipinski, aren't great at it. To me it takes a complete buy in from the entire forward grouping otherwise it wont work.

Hence why I'm wrapped with what I saw from JUH on the weekend. We all know he can jump on packs/kick goals, but it was his aggression and closing speed/harrassment that caught my eye the most.

West also fits the mould of forward line I'd like to see.

I think too many in here don’t understand how our defensive system works and the deficiencies we have.

Where it falls down is further up the ground leaving our last 2-3 defenders out of position and more often than not outnumbered.

Naughtons not going to be the saviour when he’s got to defend two players, one of which is running on to an inside 50 ball sans opponent.

Naughtons a good player and would probably have stopped Hipwood kicking a bag last year and may have slowed up some other oppo fwds. But, he’s not going to correct the issues we’ve got in our back half.

We lose so much more moving him from the fwd 50 and don’t gain a lot placing him down back.

It’s pretty bloody straight fwd I would’ve thought!!

We don't have many high level pressure players in our forward line. Historically we've been pretty poor in that facet of the game. The only time we got it completely right was in the 2016 finals and that grouping of Picken, Smith, Dickson etc arguably won us a premiership.

Wallis is pretty good at it but players like Dale, Lipinski, aren't great at it. To me it takes a complete buy in from the entire forward grouping otherwise it wont work.

Hence why I'm wrapped with what I saw from JUH on the weekend. We all know he can jump on packs/kick goals, but it was his aggression and closing speed/harrassment that caught my eye the most.

West also fits the mould of forward line I'd like to see.
I loved what I saw from West after watching the first half of the game the other day. He’s gone straight into my round 1 forward line. Along with Vanders we could be changing that big problem we all see in our pressure forwards. Those two are quick enough and have some serious aggression and pressure, West’s attack on the man is something else. He will create goal after goal from defenders shitting themselves.

Throw in Wally, Naughty, JJ (I’m sold on this, no he’s not an elite pressure player by any standards but with slight adjustment in attitude his pace could be deadly there. Just needs to be told it’s a non negotiable to chase and Harris’s everything. Pressure is more than just laying tackles, if he’s humming around it keeps defenders honest) and a resting mid and this shouldn’t be as big of an issue IMO. Cavarra looked good too and possibly even McNeil.

Plenty of options now which is great, and agreed JUH looked fantastic in this regard. Having two gun contested marking beasts in him and Naughty who have speed to burn and excel at ground level and have that natural aggression and want to tackle and cause havoc. It’s gonna be a sight to behold in a few years time.

It seems all the work we’ve been doing with Naughton for the last two years has been how to play forward. So whether it’s long term or not I think we have to press on with him there for this season. And yes he does relish the role by the look of it. He has that arrogant swagger about him.

The problem is - from what I’ve read here last year - Bruce has never been a success when tried in defence and he doesn’t particularly want to play there either.

That means both play forward (unless Bruce gets omitted) and we’re still looking for a second KPD which might be Gardner, Cordy, Young or ... ?

anyone able to paste the article? Apparently includes a breakdown of tickets for round 1 against Collingwood

Next to zero chance of getting a ticket to round one unless you have high level membership

Pies home game they will get the vast majority of tickets

Remove this Banner Ad

Back