Best 22 Round 1 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

Damn that sucks for Gardy šŸ˜­ and us as I liked the mix.

Massive opportunity for Darcy though, he should get first crack at the spot. If he makes the spot his own early days and gels with Keath & Jones itā€™d make it hard for Gards to get back in but would make us much stronger.

Darcy only played a half on the weekend and for me showed he has potential but his body is nowhere near ready for consitent AFL footy, Bruce to cover Gards for me with Crozier already in as the hybrid
Bruce, Keath & Jones is not a good mix at all IMO. Bruce should only play if Jones goes down really.

From all reports Darcy has had a terrific preseason so wouldnā€™t judge him on one half of an intraclub. Doesnā€™t get too much easier than playing 3rd tall/interceptor alongside two gorillas.

Iā€™d bet anything on him getting picked before Bruce if heā€™s fit. Although Buku could be an option, good match up for Fritsch

Damn that sucks for Gardy šŸ˜­ and us as I liked the mix.

Massive opportunity for Darcy though, he should get first crack at the spot. If he makes the spot his own early days and gels with Keath & Jones itā€™d make it hard for Gards to get back in but would make us much stronger.
We'll see what they're thinking this weekend I guess? I wonder if Cleary is in the mix?

Darcy - L.Jones(Fritsch) - Duryea
Richards - Keath - Dale (Daniel)

English - Macrae - Libba (Treloar)
Baz - Bont - (2 of B.Williams/Scott/Roarke/Baker/JJ)

R.West - Naughton - Mclean (A.Jones)
Weightman - Lobb - JUH

Sub: Buku/Crozier

FYI I have heard that Hannan will not be considered in round 1 even if fit.
I don't know the full story, but its possibly around some disciplinary issues.

FB. Duryea Jones Darcy
HB. Daniel keath Richards
C. Williams Libba Dale
HF. B.Smith Lobb West
FF. Marra Naughton Weightman
R. English Bont Macrea
INT. Treloar JJ Garcia Mclean
SUB. Scott

Essentially I'd have Williams drop back as a 7th defender and Smith push into the middle. Jamarra and Lobb going on big leads both sides of the forward arc with naughton staying pegged to the goal square and weightman at his ankles.

Will be pretty clear after the North praccy match.

B: Duryea L.Jones Keath
HB: Dale Darcy Richards
C: Scott Macrae Williams
HF: Smith Naughton JJ
F: Weightman Jamarra Lobb

R: English Bont Libba

I/C: Daniel Treloar McLean Cleary
Sub: Buku

Next: West A.Jones Garcia Hannan Crozier R. Smith

We might be a little too tall with Buku as sub, but he has had a great pre season from track watcher reports. Can play back or forward.
Same with Cleary, pre season has been terrific.
West or Arty in if JJ or Weightman donā€™t get up for round 1.

FB: Bruce Jones Duryea
HB: Richards Keath Dale
C: Williams Macrae Scott
HF: McLean Lobb Bont
FF: JUH Naughton Weightman
R: English Treloar Libba

Int: Daniel, B.Smith JJ, Crozier
Sub: Kahmis

Having watched the game on Saturday Darcy does not look fully fit nor ready for AFL contact early days.
*Bont/Treloar/B.Smith Rotate Bench/HFF/MID
*Libba/Macrae/Daniel Roating MID/Bench
*Crozier as the defensive rotation
*JJ as the forward rotation
*Lobb to cover English when he needs a chop out and to share forward ruck duties with Naughton to add variation and give Tim time to set up behind the ball and rest
*Khamis can play forward or back so like him as the sub

If Cleary is too raw for Fritsch as has been suggested, and Khamis has a poor record against him maybe Crozier is the one to take him. He can play tall but is also good at ground level.

If Cleary is too raw for Fritsch as has been suggested, and Khamis has a poor record against him maybe Crozier is the one to take him. He can play tall but is also good at ground level.
From memory played on him r1 last year and wasn't too bad on him

Couple of surprises
1. Croz starting on field (although I thought he was solid during the Intraclub, but has to do better with his disposal.)
2. Duryea starting on field (was really quiet in the intraclub)
3. McLean and Scott as the wings
4. A. Jones starting on field.

But looks like the interchange is full of round 1 options. We clearly don't have our wings locked in yet with Baker and Williams there and I have no idea where Buku and Darcy might play. Screenshot_20230303-184710_AFL.jpg View attachment 1620590

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: Duryea Keath Crozier
HB: Richards Jones Dale
C: Scott Macrae Baker
HF: Weightman Naughton B Smith
FF: JUH Lobb McLean
I/C: Treloar Daniel Williams Darcy

Sub: JJ, Arty, West

Pretty confident that this will be what we roll with round 1, assuming Duryea is right. Darcy is the defensive cover for any taller forward setups.

McLean & Williams spots are probably the two in danger with the other 3 sub options pushing pretty hard.

FB: Duryea Keath Crozier
HB: Richards Jones Dale
C: Scott Macrae Baker
HF: Weightman Naughton B Smith
FF: JUH Lobb McLean
I/C: Treloar Daniel Williams Darcy

Sub: JJ, Arty, West

Pretty confident that this will be what we roll with round 1, assuming Duryea is right. Darcy is the defensive cover for any taller forward setups.

McLean & Williams spots are probably the two in danger with the other 3 sub options pushing pretty hard.

Seems pretty close. I don't think Mclean or Darcy are locks.

Duryea LJones Crozier/Bruce

Dale Keath Richards

Baker Libba Scott

Jamarra Lobb Weightman

Darcy Naughton AJones

English Bont Macrae

BSmith Treloar Daniel Williams

Sub: West

Unless the weather is diabolical, I think weā€™ll be seeing Bruce against Melbourne. Theyā€™ll be going in with Brown, MacDonald, Gawn and Grundy, with the first 3 forward most of the time, and I get the impression weā€™re not intending to concede size in our defence this year.

Unless the weather is diabolical, I think weā€™ll be seeing Bruce against Melbourne. Theyā€™ll be going in with Brown, MacDonald, Gawn and Grundy, with the first 3 forward most of the time, and I get the impression weā€™re not intending to concede size in our defence this year.
Iā€™d probably prefer to enter the game smaller than play Bruce. He should be used a backup only if Jones or Keath are missing. His ball use and decision making are not up to defence.

The only reason we might go in smaller is the cover that Darcy provides if needed. Heā€™s someone that could matchup on Brown fairly comfortable size and speed wise.

FB: Crozier - Jones - Duryea
HB: Dale - Keath - Richards

C: Scott - Bontempelli - Baker

HF: JUH - Lobb - Smith
FF: McLean - Naughton - Weightman

R: English - Liberatore - Macrae

I: Daniel - Williams - Treloar - Darcy
S: JJ/West

FB: Crozier - Jones - Duryea
HB: Dale - Keath - Richards

C: Scott - Bontempelli - Baker

HF: JUH - Lobb - Smith
FF: McLean - Naughton - Weightman

R: English - Liberatore - Macrae

I: Daniel - Williams - Treloar - Darcy
S: JJ/West
This looks accurate to me.

Only possible change I could see is A. Jones to debut and McLean or Weightman relegated to sub.

Only possible change I could see is A. Jones to debut and McLean or Weightman relegated to sub.
Yep, agree. Jones was next on the list of "playables" for me. I'm still not quite convinced though. Big difference between pre-season North and H&A Melbourne.

I would like to see Arty force his way in off the back of some good VFL form. Frankly, he hasn't really played many serviceable or better games at that level yet. Based on pre-season, I'm hoping this is the year.

Why would Cody be sub? Due to not being 100%? I think if that was the case he just wouldnā€™t play IMO.

Yep, agree. Jones was next on the list of "playables" for me. I'm still not quite convinced though. Big difference between pre-season North and H&A Melbourne.

I would like to see Arty force his way in off the back of some good VFL form. Frankly, he hasn't really played many serviceable or better games at that level yet. Based on pre-season, I'm hoping this is the year.
I just canā€™t see Jones getting much better at VFL level, really donā€™t think he suits the slog fest which is VFL. I honestly think youā€™d get a similar level out of him whether itā€™s a quick deck at Etihad against AFL opposition or VFL opposition at WO etc.

I donā€™t think heā€™s ready for the grind but I wouldnā€™t mind him getting a go round 1 just for his frenetic speed & aggression at the feet of our talls, I think thereā€™s definitely better footballers on the list than him that could play that position but feel he might actually be the most beneficial for the team at this stage. We really just need a couple of guys who will be happy to stay down and jump on any loose balls and pressure on the way out, as there is going to be soooo much opportunity at the feet of our talls.

Probably comes down to Jones or JJ depending on if heā€™s fit or not for that last spot in the forward line for mine. But considering JJs recent injury history Iā€™m leaning towards giving him an extended break to get 110% right as weā€™ll need him later in the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back