Best 22 Round 1 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the point. We are no match for Melbourne in round 1. Their midfield shades ours. And our set up will apparently be too tall to win despite it being pretty much the same set up as the last time we beat Melbourne, only now we have better talls. Pack it up.

Yeah. We are no chance.

The 3 tall forwards occupy Lever, Petty and May. There is no zoning off, as those 3 have sticky hands. When one rests, he is hopefully replaced by Darcy. That is potent and no other team will have that setup this year.

In the back half, Jones is a huge upgrade and allows Keath to not have to man their 1KPF.

Bruce and Khamis as backups are really important. They can replace either Naughton or JUH and still have a solid KPF that requires a KPD.

Dogs by 40.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

FB: Duryeah Jones Crozier
HB: Dale Keath Richards
C: Smith Bont Baker
HF: McLean JUH Lobb
FF: Weightman Naughton Treloar
R: English Macrae Libba
INT: Daniel Scott Williams Darcy
E: A Jones Bruce West

Jones for Weightman if Weightman isn't ready. Bruce stiff but should be enough height with Keath/Jones down there and can swing Darcy back if needed. Scott has earned his spot too which is unlucky for West.
This is what I would do too, although I would like one of JJ/Jones in there ideally but I guess one can start sub.

I think going forward I’d ideally only want 2 of Scott, Williams, Baker in there to allow room for the extra quick small. Which would be Scott & Williams for me personally, but Baker deserves a spot too and against Melb I’m probably comfortable with the extra big body/wing option over the extra small forward.

Considering it’s likely Baz, Treloar, Williams, Scott, Baker will all spend time on the wing, they’re going to have to spend a lot of their onfield time in other positions too. Baz/Treloar obviously will go through the guts/fwd. Scott can go forward, Williams back but if Bakers going to spend quite a bit of game time fwd I’d prefer JJ/Jones/West in the role.

Depends what the mix is expected to be I guess. I’d almost let the 3 play off for the two positions over the coming weeks.

Other than that when Gards is back you could rotate Gards/Croz depending on match ups really. But I agree Croz>Bruce for round 1 considering Darcy could go back to sit on their resting ruck. Big ask for the kid though.

One thing I’ve noticed in all these teams is our bottom 5 or so is soooo much better than some of the teams we were putting out last year.

Looking at the teams listed above, I’d say our bottom 5 (mostly talking fringe small types, not taking into account KPP) would roughly be: Baker, Scott, McLean, Williams, Croz?

If you look at some of the teams we put out early last year I’d suspect our bottom 5 smalls as some mixture of:

McNeil, McComb, Hannan, VDM, Rourke, Scott, Williams

Then to think we were putting out teams with 4 or even 5!!! Of Early season Gardner, Cordy, Schache, O’Brien, early season Marra. Which this year will be replaced with new & improved Gardner/Marra, Lobb, Keath, Jones, Darcy, Bruce

These teams are significantly stronger, like significantly across just about every line.

Although in saying that we dunno what the round 1 team is yet, it might be McComb, Hannan and VDM on 1 leg for all we know

This is what I would do too, although I would like one of JJ/Jones in there ideally but I guess one can start sub.

I think going forward I’d ideally only want 2 of Scott, Williams, Baker in there to allow room for the extra quick small. Which would be Scott & Williams for me personally, but Baker deserves a spot too and against Melb I’m probably comfortable with the extra big body/wing option over the extra small forward.

Considering it’s likely Baz, Treloar, Williams, Scott, Baker will all spend time on the wing, they’re going to have to spend a lot of their onfield time in other positions too. Baz/Treloar obviously will go through the guts/fwd. Scott can go forward, Williams back but if Bakers going to spend quite a bit of game time fwd I’d prefer JJ/Jones/West in the role.

Depends what the mix is expected to be I guess. I’d almost let the 3 play off for the two positions over the coming weeks.

Other than that when Gards is back you could rotate Gards/Croz depending on match ups really. But I agree Croz>Bruce for round 1 considering Darcy could go back to sit on their resting ruck. Big ask for the kid though.
Williams had 12 disposlas 2 Si involvments on the weekend Baker had 22 a snag and 7 SI Scott 18 3 snags 7 SI. Given Williams also lacks any pace I don't see what argument there is for having him over Baker/Scott other than holding onto what he was in the 2021 season pre GF since the GF he has been fairly poor

One thing I’ve noticed in all these teams is our bottom 5 or so is soooo much better than some of the teams we were putting out last year.

Looking at the teams listed above, I’d say our bottom 5 (mostly talking fringe small types, not taking into account KPP) would roughly be: Baker, Scott, McLean, Williams, Croz?

If you look at some of the teams we put out early last year I’d suspect our bottom 5 smalls as some mixture of:

McNeil, McComb, Hannan, VDM, Rourke, Scott, Williams

Then to think we were putting out teams with 4 or even 5!!! Of Early season Gardner, Cordy, Schache, O’Brien, early season Marra. Which this year will be replaced with new & improved Gardner/Marra, Lobb, Keath, Jones, Darcy, Bruce

These teams are significantly stronger, like significantly across just about every line.

Although in saying that we dunno what the round 1 team is yet, it might be McComb, Hannan and VDM on 1 leg for all we know
Agree on this it is a huge positive that we can move these guys to depth now instead of playing roles they aren't suited too

Williams had 12 disposlas 2 Si involvments on the weekend Baker had 22 a snag and 7 SI Scott 18 3 snags 7 SI. Given Williams also lacks any pace I don't see what argument there is for having him over Baker/Scott other than holding onto what he was in the 2021 season pre GF since the GF he has been fairly poor
Baker definitely had much better output on the weekend. But Williams has played 100 games and Baker has played 4 games in the past 3 years.

Williams had a shocker first half of the year agreed but his form after that whilst getting comfortable on the wing was still much better than anything Baker has produced at AFL level. Williams is much better overhead, much better disposal, more composed in traffic, better one on one.

Baker may just go past him on the wing but until he shows it at AFL level I’m comfortably putting Williams above him personally - as I said I’d probably have them both in round 1, if Baker performs better at the level he can keep the spot

UPDATE:

Jones for Weightman if Weightman isn't ready. Bruce stiff but should be enough height with Keath/Jones down there and can swing Darcy back if needed. Scott has earned his spot too which is unlucky for West.
I like this team yet I would replace
Mclean for A. Jones. (Perfect time for Jones to debut, wide open spaces of the G)
Williams for Khamis. (Just gives us more flexibility)

Premiership captain Easton Wood at training today 😍

One thing to note about the 4 headed monster is that we're never actually going to have all 4 on the ground at the same time. One of these guys + English will be on the bench throughout the game. Not to mention the flexibility this season due to the sub rule. There's a significant chance that a variety of Darcy, JUH & even Lobb may be subbed off throughout the year purely dependent on individual games and form.

I think it will look something similar to this.

English (80% TOG - Ruck)
Lobb (70% TOG - Forward/20% TOG - Ruck)
Naughton (85% TOG - Forward
JUH (75% TOG - Forward)
Darcy (70% TOG - Forward)

Last edited:

Not sure if it will get him across the line for round 1 selection but Williams has two significant points of difference that he brings to the team. Firstly, his versatility which means his presence enables us to better cover for potential injuries during a match. Second and even more importantly, he is a thumping kick, which is still a rare commodity in our side.

I'd definitely select Williams if he is fit, without him opposition sides just need to shadow Dale and Bont, then focus pressure up around the ball carrier to stifle our ball movement.

UPDATE:

Hey team, same discussion as pre Roos. Who is our small forward depth? If AJ and Weightman aren’t ready, who comes in? McLean and JJ or could West get a run?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey team, same discussion as pre Roos. Who is our small forward depth? If AJ and Weightman aren’t ready, who comes in? McLean and JJ or could West get a run?
I’d say JJ > West > Garcia.

All of these guys could fill the role for us round 1. It’s really a pressure role first and foremost.

I’d say JJ > West > Garcia.

All of these guys could fill the role for us round 1. It’s really a pressure role first and foremost.
Can any track watchers confirm that those three are available after yesterday? We’d need at least two of them in the squad wouldn't we to counter how much tall timber we have out there?

Can any track watchers confirm that those three are available after yesterday? We’d need at least two of them in the squad wouldn't we to counter how much tall timber we have out there?
JJ definitely took part in the match sim and kicked a couple of goals from the injury report. You’d have to say he’s firming for round 1 given he apparently played well in the VFL match last week too.

Not sure if it will get him across the line for round 1 selection but Williams has two significant points of difference that he brings to the team. Firstly, his versatility which means his presence enables us to better cover for potential injuries during a match. Second and even more importantly, he is a thumping kick, which is still a rare commodity in our side.

I'd definitely select Williams if he is fit, without him opposition sides just need to shadow Dale and Bont, then focus pressure up around the ball carrier to stifle our ball movement.

I think Williams kicking is his biggest weakness, like Crozier they bomb the ball long and rarely find targets by foot. No team would put a second of time into worrying about Williams.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Williams kicking is his biggest weakness, like Crozier they bomb the ball long and rarely find targets by foot. No team would put a second of time into worrying about Williams.

In 2020 he was the highest average meters gained player in the team (12th in the league) and generally quite reliable but it has sadly fallen apart in a big way.

In 2020 he was the highest average meters gained player in the team (12th in the league) and generally quite reliable but it has sadly fallen apart in a big way.
OK, but why?

Personal form\confidence\performance?
Changed position?
Opposition attention?
Team performance?

The reality is it will be a combination of all factors but change of position\role is a big consideration, and attention from the opposition shouldn't be ignored.

When the opposition figures out you're one of only three blokes on the team that can kick over the proverbial jam tin, then they will put effort into stopping you and your two buddies.

Last edited:

That is a very naive statement, and just plain wrong.

The reason Williams is important is that, unlike most of his teammates, he can actually kick it long without it necessarily being a 'bomb', and when he does need to bomb it long it can possibly go far enough to relieve some pressure and provide some time to try to re-organise in defence.

Williams is an excellent kick tbh. Prof is right. He kicks long distances with ease. Beautiful kicking action too. I reckon he's certainly one of the best in our team when it comes to kicking 50+ meters with reasonable accuracy. His biggest weakness as a player imo is between the ears. Lacks confidence or something.

Williams is an excellent kick tbh. Prof is right. He kicks long distances with ease. Beautiful kicking action too. I reckon he's certainly one of the best in our team when it comes to kicking 50+ meters with reasonable accuracy. His biggest weakness as a player imo is between the ears. Lacks confidence or something.

Yup, I think his confidence has taken a few hits recently.
However, I also think he can likely get it back if he and the team become a bit more settled in their defensive set up.

That is a very naive statement, and just plain wrong.

The reason Williams is important is that, unlike most of his teammates, he can actually kick it long without it necessarily being a 'bomb', and when he does need to bomb it long it can possibly go far enough to relieve some pressure and provide some time to try to re-organise in defence.

Kicking long for the sake of is not productive for the team. He has a nice looking kick which masks the fact that they rarely go to a team mate. He’s similar to what Eagleton used to do, but at least he used to run the ball as well.

Kicking long for the sake of is not productive for the team. He has a nice looking kick which masks the fact that they rarely go to a team mate. He’s similar to what Eagleton used to do, but at least he used to run the ball as well.

I think you are missing my point.
Might I suggest you think about things from a different perspective. If you have a team where most players are only capable of short kicks. Which has been the case with the Bulldogs for a number of years, then smart opposition coaches will get their teams to structure their play accordingly. No need for them to waste effort defending long kicks against a team that can't deliver them, so they have pressed up against us as much as they wanted to great effect.

How do you defeat such tactics if you have so few players that can kick the ball long?

You need to have that option to make the opposition hedge their bets, otherwise we are way too predictable and easy to defeat tactically.

It is also likely one of the reasons we have decided to go extra tall. If our shorter kicking players try to kick their longest, they have to use a higher trajectory, which has been easily intercepted by opposition defenders in the past. Having extra taller forwards also helps counter these tactics that have been effective against us in addition to getting more players that can a bit kick longer.

Good luck for the year! Reckon you’ll be a surprise for most and do very well. Who do you think will have the bigger year and also fantasy wise treloar or Libba? Treloar seems to be the better scorer but seems Libba is safer with his position in the middle?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back