Best 22 Round 1 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

ROUND ONE TEAM SELECTION: "Anyone who thinks this side can't go all the way is a FOOL!"

Watch Dougie pump us all up for a massive start to the year!

Dougie Hawkins selects his team for Round One, and explains why this group WILL go on to be the greatest in our Club's history! Listen to the legend salivate at the road ahead in season 2023...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEOdrTOr56E

Last edited:

JJ and Hannan would be the two I'd imagine in the side. The article about Cody and Arty's injuries talked Hannan up.
I get that Hannan is quick but he’s super sloppy at ground level, much more comfortable aerially and more likely/better off flying than front & centre, is a genuine medium fwd really what we need with the 4 talls?

From all reports he had a really strong preseason so if he gets the gig i hope he proves me wrong but I’d much prefer Garcia/West get the job this week

Naughton to defence and bring in Buku as a forward. Josh Bruce should not play.

I don't think Hannan is a good fit. I hear the comments about his speed & pressure but he isn't a ground-level player and that is more what we need. I appreciate we're in a bind with lack of availability but I'd be much more inclined to choose a player that stylistically fills the role, even if they are a 'worse' player than Hannan. If we're truly committing to four talls, great - but we are going to need to very carefully cater the structure of the team to make that work.

I think we play 3 small/mids forward/bench.

I reckon JJ is a lock and 2 of Hannan, Maclean or West round it out.

Suspect West misses.

McNeil had some decent-ish games up forward last year. Would much rather see him or Garcia up forward than Hannan or West
Yeah McNeil had some pretty handy games last year as a genuine pressure forward, was quite regularly around that 15 PA, 5 tackles, 1 goal mark which IMO is what we want out of the role.

Hasn’t been a lot of chat about him this preseason though, no idea how he’s gone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Hannan is a good fit. I hear the comments about his speed & pressure but he isn't a ground-level player and that is more what we need. I appreciate we're in a bind with lack of availability but I'd be much more inclined to choose a player that stylistically fills the role, even if they are a 'worse' player than Hannan. If we're truly committing to four talls, great - but we are going to need to very carefully cater the structure of the team to make that work.
Cue Hannan to be picked 😆

Weightman plays more like a key forward anyways. Not sure we lose much with him being injured in terms of the kinds of things we expect from a small forward. I.e. tackling pressure, locking the ball in, crumbing goals.

Weightman brings a lot of pressure on the ground. He just also flys for marks and leads.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

B: Duryea Keith Richards
HB: Dale Jones Williams
C: Scott Macrae Baker
HF: B.Smith Naughton Marra
F: JJ Lobb Hannan
Fol: English Bont Libba
Int: Treloar Daniel Darcy Toby
Sub: Karmis.

Weightman brings a lot of pressure on the ground. He just also flys for marks and leads.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No he doesn't.

From 21 games played last year he laid 1.9 tackles a game. That's the 282nd player in the league for tackles. For reference Naughton averaged 2.2 tackles a game and ranked 239.

Reference:- 2022 AFL League Tackles Per Game Leaders

If you look at tackles inside 50 it looks even worse. He's ranked 60th for tackles inside 50, again behind guys like West, Naughton and Mcneil.

Reference:- 2022 AFL League Tackles Inside 50 Per Game Leaders

For score involvements he's the 11th ranked player in the club:-

Reference:- 2022 AFL League Score Involvements Per Game Leaders

And then there's 1% where he's well below the average:-

Reference:- 2022 AFL League One Percenters Per Game Leaders

A 1% being a spoil, smother, shepherd or knock on. He averages just over 1 a game.

Last year we couldn't hold the ball in our forward line to save our life. (Ranked 16th for tackles inside 50)

No he doesn't.

From 21 games played last year he laid 1.9 tackles a game. That's the 282nd player in the league for tackles. For reference Naughton averaged 2.2 tackles a game and ranked 239.

Reference:- 2022 AFL League Tackles Per Game Leaders

If you look at tackles inside 50 it looks even worse. He's ranked 60th for tackles inside 50, again behind guys like West, Naughton and Mcneil.

Reference:- 2022 AFL League Tackles Inside 50 Per Game Leaders

For score involvements he's the 11th ranked player in the club:-

Reference:- 2022 AFL League Score Involvements Per Game Leaders

And then there's 1% where he's well below the average:-

Reference:- 2022 AFL League One Percenters Per Game Leaders

A 1% being a spoil, smother, shepherd or knock on. He averages just over 1 a game.

Last year we couldn't hold the ball in our forward line to save our life. (Ranked 16th for tackles inside 50)
What about pressure acts?

What about pressure acts?
He avgs 14 per game, I’d say around that 18-20 mark is elite for a small forward.

Admittedly those stats aren’t great but ‘defensive pressure’ is one part of the game where I’d say stats is never going to tell the full picture. It’s clear watching the game that Cody is one of our best pressure forwards, he’s an absolute terrier at ground level with an incredible work rate.

Can tell me all the stats in the world but we definitely will be worse off without him at the feet of our talls.

He avgs 14 per game, I’d say around that 18-20 mark is elite for a small forward.

Admittedly those stats aren’t great but ‘defensive pressure’ is one part of the game where I’d say stats is never going to tell the full picture. It’s clear watching the game that Cody is one of our best pressure forwards, he’s an absolute terrier at ground level with an incredible work rate.

Can tell me all the stats in the world but we definitely will be worse off without him at the feet of our talls.
Just because he is capable of the occasional spectacular pressure act doesn't mean he has delivered them on a regular basis. As Royale has pointed out, he hasn't.

Cody is very talented, and capable of a lot of great things but to this point in his career, he has often struggled to get the balance right between playing the small crumbing forward vs the surprisingly capable leading forward. When he is trying to apply pressure, he also often over does it. Try as we might it is hard to forget his headless chook impression in the 2021 grand final.

He is a very good young player, currently capable of delivering occasional great performances, but let's not kid ourselves, he is currently pretty inconsistent and still has a way to go to reach his potential, particularly regarding the crumbing and pressure parts of his role.

Love the energy that Cody brings to the game. I don't think you can measure this but it feels like a positive to me and appears to filter through the forward line. Yes he needs to improve his tackling and crumbing aspects. I am pretty sure the coaches have set this as part of his homework and given midfield stints during the preseason would help. Looking forward to when he is fit and back in the team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back