Best 22 Round 1 2023?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this.

This will create plenty of fire in the belly.

Former Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley, however, sees Max Gawn as the game’s most impactful player.

Buckley narrowed the list down to five players, with Gawn edging out teammate Steven May.

“I’ve ended up writing fives name down. Three of them from one team: Max Gawn, Steven May and Clayton Oliver,” the Pies great told SEN Breakfast.

“And then I had Darcy Moore and Lachie Neale.

“They’re five players that I would have in that mix and in the end I would go for Gawn as the most impactful player in the competition because he can go forward and because of his aerial capacity, not just because of his ruck stuff.

“I’d have him just over Steven May.”

Having three of the best five players in the AFL, with Christian Petracca not even listed, bodes well for the Demons ahead of the 2023 season.

They open their campaign against the Western Bulldogs in Round 1.

Unless the weather is diabolical, I think we’ll be seeing Bruce against Melbourne. They’ll be going in with Brown, MacDonald, Gawn and Grundy, with the first 3 forward most of the time, and I get the impression we’re not intending to concede size in our defence this year.
There's no point in having Bruce train back all pre season to then throw it out the window in round one when he's definitely needed. Otherwise you'll end with someone like Williams playing on McDonald, which is a strategy that has been used many times before with minimal benefit.

There's no point in having Bruce train back all pre season to then throw it out the window in round one when he's definitely needed. Otherwise you'll end with someone like Williams playing on McDonald, which is a strategy that has been used many times before with minimal benefit.

It’s either Bruce or Darcy, but they seem to have decided Darcy is a forward for now. I just can’t see them going in undersized with a different structure to the whole pre-season, particularly after recruiting Jones and turning Bruce into a KPD for seemingly this very reason.

Why would Cody be sub? Due to not being 100%? I think if that was the case he just wouldn’t play IMO.

I just can’t see Jones getting much better at VFL level, really don’t think he suits the slog fest which is VFL. I honestly think you’d get a similar level out of him whether it’s a quick deck at Etihad against AFL opposition or VFL opposition at WO etc.

I don’t think he’s ready for the grind but I wouldn’t mind him getting a go round 1 just for his frenetic speed & aggression at the feet of our talls, I think there’s definitely better footballers on the list than him that could play that position but feel he might actually be the most beneficial for the team at this stage. We really just need a couple of guys who will be happy to stay down and jump on any loose balls and pressure on the way out, as there is going to be soooo much opportunity at the feet of our talls.

Probably comes down to Jones or JJ depending on if he’s fit or not for that last spot in the forward line for mine. But considering JJs recent injury history I’m leaning towards giving him an extended break to get 110% right as we’ll need him later in the year
Only reason Weightman would be sub is the fact that he has been on light duties for the last 2 weeks of pre season and has not played in our main intra club or in the praccy match against north.
No doubt he is in our best 18 but might be slightly underdone for round 1 and I think he would be a great sub to inject into the game after H/T, but it would limit us if we got an injury to a tall or defender.

One thing we have to improve on from previous matches against Melbourne is preventing them from getting too many easy centre clearances. It's easier said than done, because they absolutely excel in this area and a lot of the time we haven't been able to stop it.

It's usually two or three slick handpasses inside the centre square as they're storming forward.

The challenging part will be finding a balance between doing more defensively to stop them from executing that, but also not sacrificing our attacking game which is also a strength of ours.

It's all good and well recruiting Jones and welcoming a slimmer and fitter Keath into the defensive mix, but it's usually their midfielders who kick goals when they penetrate forward from a centre bounce with a combination and crafty handballs. When their midfielders run in waves and generate all that momentum, it's bloody hard to stop, but our midfield / coaches have to be prepared for that.

FB: Duryea - Jones - Dale
HB: Bruce - Keath - Richards
C: Scott - Libba - Baker
HF: B.Smith - Lobb - Jones
FF: JUH - Naughton - Weightman
R: English - Bont - Macrae

INT: Treloar - JJ - Daniel - Darcy
SUB: McLean

It’s either Bruce or Darcy, but they seem to have decided Darcy is a forward for now. I just can’t see them going in undersized with a different structure to the whole pre-season, particularly after recruiting Jones and turning Bruce into a KPD for seemingly this very reason.
Beveridge has rarely picked a team based on structure it's generally the players he prefers, but maybe things have changed this year.

Beveridge has rarely picked a team based on structure it's generally the players he prefers, but maybe things have changed this year.

He said in his interview that they were intending to use Bruce as a sub in the practice match, which I didn’t realise. So I’m less bullish on Bruce getting a Rd 1 game now.

Absol
FB: Duryea - Jones - Dale
HB: Bruce - Keath - Richards
C: Scott - Libba - Baker
HF: B.Smith - Lobb - Jones
FF: JUH - Naughton - Weightman
R: English - Bont - Macrae

INT: Treloar - JJ - Daniel - Darcy
SUB: McLean

Surely Maclean is in before Arthur Jones.

Duryea - Jones - Gardner
Dale - Keath - Richards
Baz - Macrae - Baker
Treloar - Naughton - Scott
JUH - Lobb - Weightman
English - Liber - Bontempelli

Daniel - Darcy - Mclean - JJ

Based on form from the preseason game, I wouldn’t think so. If Weightman isn’t fit then I expect both play

Toby had a whole pre-season of excellent reports and some really good intra club hitouts prior to the North game. I personally don't think all that gets thrown out over one practice match, but you never know I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good luck at the kennel this year!

Do you guys see Ed Richards carrying on where he left off least year? Would there be any reason why he can't emulate the 2nd half of 2022 for all of 2023?

Nice video but he fails to account for the 4 headed monster option.

Having talls who are much bigger than their opponents, allows kick and mark through a zone. This method means that the zone has to change or be exposed by taller marking players easily put raking the smaller demons defenders.

Great video ringa5 and this is exactly why you need decent runners in your team, Melbourne, Collingwood last year just force the turnover with defensive pressure. We are capable of doing it yet it dropped right away last year. It really needs a team mindset as 1 break in the chain and a goal can be scored.

Toby had a whole pre-season of excellent reports and some really good intra club hitouts prior to the North game. I personally don't think all that gets thrown out over one practice match, but you never know I guess.
Preseason reports from the club, or potentially biased supporters? I wouldn’t know, can only primarily go off what the club says and what I see in the intraclub and preseason games

A sleeper for mine is Tim O'Brien.

He didn't have the best year last year but he was asked to play as a second KPD behind Gardy at times which isn't his go.

Maybe with Jones and Keath taking those two spots we might see more flexibility with him?

A sleeper for mine is Tim O'Brien.

He didn't have the best year last year but he was asked to play as a second KPD behind Gardy at times which isn't his go.

Maybe with Jones and Keath taking those two spots we might see more flexibility with him?
He’s a long way behind right now in regards to his body. I believe he’s still out for a few weeks with a reoccurring hamstring after missing a significant chunk of preseason already with the same issue.

He had a couple of soft tissue injuries last year as well so the signs aren’t great there.

He’s a long way behind right now in regards to his body. I believe he’s still out for a few weeks with a reoccurring hamstring after missing a significant chunk of preseason already with the same issue.

He had a couple of soft tissue injuries last year as well so the signs aren’t great there.
Yeah I think that was a knock on him before we signed him.

Maybe we will throw him forward and have a 6 headed monster

What’s the point. We are no match for Melbourne in round 1. Their midfield shades ours. And our set up will apparently be too tall to win despite it being pretty much the same set up as the last time we beat Melbourne, only now we have better talls. Pack it up.

UPDATE:

FB: Duryeah Jones Crozier
HB: Dale Keath Richards
C: Smith Bont Baker
HF: McLean JUH Lobb
FF: Weightman Naughton Treloar
R: English Macrae Libba
INT: Daniel Scott Williams Darcy
E: A Jones Bruce West

Jones for Weightman if Weightman isn't ready. Bruce stiff but should be enough height with Keath/Jones down there and can swing Darcy back if needed. Scott has earned his spot too which is unlucky for West.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back