Game Day Round 1, 2023: West Coast Eagles vs North Melbourne - “A Walk in the Park”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our rucks weren't great, in fact they were bad

They weren't the reason for the loss. Unless you have a gun ruck, ruck is the most pointless position on the ground. Our non existent midfield in the first 2 and a half qtrs was the reason. Senior players getting absolutely slaughtered at clearances and contested ball, like they have for 4 years.

Ditch Sheed and Gaff, too slow. Give the keys to the kids

100%, rucks were terrible, they also both offer little around the ground, generally terrible positioning.

North were getting way too many easy offensive clearance chains for most of the game.

Not sure if it was our poor set-up or lack of defensive ability from Sheed, Kelly etc.

Ginbey looked like he made a big difference in our come back with his tackling, stopped the easy handball chains.

Hi I'm Bailey Williams.

I'm a ruckman.

I'm 23 years of age and have been on an afl list for 4 years.

Today I was faced with challenge of rucking against... literally nobody. The equally inexperienced ruckman who was kicking my ass got injured so I spent 3 quarters rucking against someone who had never done it before. And I got my ass kicked. I had 8 touches and my team got flogged 2:1 in the clearances. But that's okay because late in the game when they really needed me, um..Dom sheed ended up taking the centre square ruck, then I got caught holding the ball and then I gave away a ruck free kick. Because the one standout thing about me this far in my career is as well as being generally s**t, I'm also a dreadful choker.

I'm the future of this club!

Excellent melt. Pure joy to read.

Hi I'm Bailey Williams.

I'm a ruckman.

Today I was faced with challenge of rucking against... literally nobody. The equally inexperienced ruckman who was kicking my ass got injured so I spent 3 quarters rucking against someone who had never done it before. And I got my ass kicked. I had 8 touches and my team got flogged 2:1 in the clearances. But that's okay because late in the game when they really needed me, um..Dom sheed ended up taking the centre square ruck, then I got caught holding the ball and then I gave away a ruck free kick. Because the one standout thing about me this far in my career is as well as being generally s**t, I'm also a dreadful choker.

POTY

100%, rucks were terrible, they also both offer little around the ground, generally terrible positioning.

North were getting way too many easy offensive clearance chains for most of the game.

Not sure if it was our poor set-up or lack of defensive ability from Sheed, Kelly etc.

Ginbey looked like he made a big difference in our come back with his tackling, stopped the easy handball chains.

1 ruck and improvise the backup, even with NN playing 60% TOG. Rucks are pointless unless they dominate hitouts or can play like an extra mid.

Our setups need to be questioned. When Nic doesnt play we constantly get slaughtered at clearances. They need to accept Nic is almost done, he isnt the big saviour coming to rescue us anymore.

Sheed and Gaff together has never worked. I'd prefer both gone but they absolutely cannot be in the same side together.

1 ruck and improvise the backup, even with NN playing 60% TOG. Rucks are pointless unless they dominate hitouts or can play like an extra mid.

Our setups need to be questioned. When Nic doesnt play we constantly get slaughtered at clearances. They need to accept Nic is almost done, he isnt the big saviour coming to rescue us anymore.

Sheed and Gaff together has never worked. I'd prefer both gone but they absolutely cannot be in the same side together.

Looked like we were set up way too offensively early, especially considering our rucks.

They were just running it out in waves fwd of stoppage.

Hopefully being able to play a whole game with one of Yeo/Ginbey in the middle should help.

2 of Sheed/Gaff/Kelly puts a lot of pressure on other players to cover defensively.

Only caught snippets of the game after 1/4 time which was, weirdly, being shown on every screen at the brewery in Canberra I was at, but not surprised to read that we got smashed at the coalface. I remember thinking when Hewett kicked that goal against Port that it was one of the few times since Judd where I could remember one of our players hitting a stoppage at speed, rather than being reactive and flat footed. I hope him and Ginbey are able to give us some dynamism in the next couple of years as we phase out the old guard.

Also enjoyed what I saw of Jones as the nippy, aggressive little guy with a s**t haircut who buzzes around F50. I feel like Richmond have about 27 of those.

Hi I'm Bailey Williams.

I'm a ruckman.

Morgan Freeman Applause GIF by The Academy Awards
Episode 1 Slow Clap GIF by One Chicago
Well Done Clapping GIF by MOODMAN
Lin Manuel Miranda Love GIF by Tony Awards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The clearest thing for me to see today was that Hewett, Barnett and probably Hough need to get exposure ASAP. Their ceiling is “A Grade” which is a step up from all the other kids

What? I mean I agree if they are ready get them on the park. Step up from the other kids is rich though - I thought Ginbey and Long were both super promising

Hi I'm Bailey Williams.

I'm a ruckman.

I'm the future of this club
Now this is a quality melt.
More of these..

So many issues with the side atm.

Bailey isn't the only one, but is a huge one.
For all the endeavour and athletic ability... his football brain is the size of a pea and will forever be a liability. Not sure what choice we have but to persist with him until we can address next year.
We are a boring side and have been for the last couple of years. Football has been moving towards such a fast paced attack and capitalising on turnovers which we have never had success dealing with.
It's all the more evident now that the playing list and coaching staff is not what will propel us into the climb back up the ladder.
We're no man's land ATM. Until some hard calls are made with regards to our veterans I don't see too much to get excited about.
Sure we have the new draftee's but it's the 21-26 age bracket that has me worried. Plenty of pain ahead and it won't be until a new coach and game plan that we can look ahead with optimism.

Happy to attack the next few drafts with some high picks.

Hi I'm Bailey Williams.

I'm a ruckman.

This post needs to be a sticky on the board.

And printed, laminated and posted to eagle headquarters.

Midfield are ******* hopeless. Kelly looks like he isn't interested. Sheed, thanks for that one kick in 2018 but if any club offered pick 30 for him I'd take it and run. Shuey is on his last legs. O'Neil isn't going to make it. Gaff kills all momentum when he gets it. If these players are going to get smacked around in the midfield by ******* north then it's time to call it. Rip the ******* bandaid off and put Ginbey, Chesser, Culley, Hewett in the middle.

Someone had too much during the game.

Ginbey, Chesser, Hewett and Culley in the middle?

Lol.

How many 100 point fl9ggings do you want to watch?

I'm going to focus on the positives....Ginbey is a ripper! 12 tackles on debut is huge!

Long rushed his kick a few times but how clean is his touch. I don't recall him fumbling the ball once. Very impressed.

Sorry but were we wartching the same game?

Long fumbled a fair bit and looked rushed. Which is fair enough as it was his 1st game, 1st round and everyone was rusty.....except Sheezle.

But to say Long was clean and didnt fumble just isnt correct.

He did ok for his 1st game playing as a small pressure forward, not great but ok.

What? I mean I agree if they are ready get them on the park. Step up from the other kids is rich though - I thought Ginbey and Long were both super promising
Yep soz, my post didn’t come out how I wanted it too…I meant those guys need to come in next over others we’ve drafted in previous years (XON, Trew, West/Clark) and probably over a lot of the seniors too.

Ginbey and Long have already shown great potential after only 1 game

Sorry but were we wartching the same game?

Long fumbled a fair bit and looked rushed. Which is fair enough as it was his 1st game, 1st round and everyone was rusty.....except Sheezle.

But to say Long was clean and didnt fumble just isnt correct.

He did ok for his 1st game playing as a small pressure forward, not great but ok.
Not great but ok still puts him in our best few players.

Surely the red pen goes through O’Neill from here.. never seen anything remotely positive about him and he has continued in that form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back