Game Day Round 1, 2023: West Coast Eagles vs North Melbourne - “A Walk in the Park”

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Main takeaways from the game

Game was lost in the second and third quarters when our midfield got completely dominated. Gone are the days when we had a top 3 Fwd line to keep us in the game.

We have a lot of players who aren't up to AFL standard atm

Chesser, Williams, Jamo, O'Neil, Long were non entities for most of the game. Long worked his way into it a bit.

Williams/Jamo are not up to the level, better off playing another small to help with run. Couldn't even give us an advantage playing against part timers.

Darling didn't look right, was not covering the ground well. The combination with Allen + resting tall meant we didnt have enough defensive pressure for large periods. Ryan picks and chooses his effort.

Allen doesn't have a big presence yet, and doesn't make enough contests, seemed to prefer to double back rather than lead at the ball carrier.

Kelly was very poor, sloppy, looked unfit, offered nothing defensively.

Midfield looked a lot better in the last quarter which made the game easier for our forwards.

I think we will look a lot better when we can always have one of Ginbey/Yeo on the ball. Sheed/Kelly don't offer enough defensively.

As always the McGovern/Barrass combo is feast or famine, need to halve more contests.

Match set the tone for the season, I reckon. It’s gonna be frustrating. Some really bright spots mixed in with some utter garbage. The fight suggests we should at least win a few. The second and most of the third quarters show we’ll still get spanked a few times though.

Ginbey looked good, Ryan lifted, Allen ok in his first game back. NN will make a difference.

Wrong, more ready made than most. Big unit already and held his own in SANFL even last year. Not your more typical skinny but skilled young ruck prospect. Bit of a stud already
All the same it shouldn’t have to happen, and yet… here we are

Main takeaways from the game

Game was lost in the second and third quarters when our midfield got completely dominated. Gone are the days when we had a top 3 Fwd line to keep us in the game.

We have a lot of players who aren't up to AFL standard atm

Chesser, Williams, Jamo, O'Neil, Long were non entities for most of the game. Long worked his way into it a bit.

Williams/Jamo are not up to the level, better off playing another small to help with run. Couldn't even give us an advantage playing against part timers.

Darling didn't look right, was not covering the ground well. The combination with Allen + resting tall meant we didnt have enough defensive pressure for large periods. Ryan picks and chooses his effort.

Allen doesn't have a big presence yet, and doesn't make enough contests, seemed to prefer to double back rather than lead at the ball carrier.

Kelly was very poor, sloppy, looked unfit, offered nothing defensively.

Midfield looked a lot better in the last quarter which made the game easier for our forwards.

I think we will look a lot better when we can always have one of Ginbey/Yeo on the ball. Sheed/Kelly don't offer enough defensively.

As always the McGovern/Barrass combo is feast or famine, need to halve more contests.
Interesting point re: Allen. Hoping it’s just down to rust but he seemed like he was struggling to get any separation. Logue was pretty good on him

Our rucks weren't great, in fact they were bad

They weren't the reason for the loss. Unless you have a gun ruck, ruck is the most pointless position on the ground. Our non existent midfield in the first 2 and a half qtrs was the reason. Senior players getting absolutely slaughtered at clearances and contested ball, like they have for 4 years.

Ditch Sheed and Gaff, too slow. Give the keys to the kids

If Elliot Yeo plays we win by three goals.

Match set the tone for the season, I reckon. It’s gonna be frustrating. Some really bright spots mixed in with some utter garbage. The fight suggests we should at least win a few. The second and most of the third quarters show we’ll still get spanked a few times though.

Ginbey looked good, Ryan lifted, Allen ok in his first game back. NN will make a difference.
spot on 100%

good post

Our rucks weren't great, in fact they were bad

They weren't the reason for the loss. Unless you have a gun ruck, ruck is the most pointless position on the ground. Our non existent midfield in the first 2 and a half qtrs was the reason. Senior players getting absolutely slaughtered at clearances and contested ball, like they have for 4 years.

Ditch Sheed and Gaff, too slow. Give the keys to the kids
When your ruckman is rucking against a midfielder and still loses, yeah it’s a reason

As simple as it is unpleasant to understand, we didn't deserve to win that game.

Too many brain farts.
Too much fumbling.
Too many unforced errors.
Too much poor decision making.
To f****** slow as a collective.

Some very likeable signs from Ginbey and Long.
Good to have Oscar back.
Ryan looked very switched on.
Hunt and his pace will help us.

Same old same old, hard to win a game ( even against the winner of last two seasons wooden spoons ) when the side doesn't put in for four quarters.

The new game plan was very well hidden because I didn't spot it.

Going to be a long season, as others have rightfully said.

We now have first fingers touching the Harley Reid Cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi I'm Bailey Williams.

I'm a ruckman.

I'm 23 years of age and have been on an afl list for 4 years.

Today I was faced with challenge of rucking against... literally nobody. The equally inexperienced ruckman who was kicking my ass got injured so I spent 3 quarters rucking against someone who had never done it before. And I got my ass kicked. I had 8 touches and my team got flogged 2:1 in the clearances. But that's okay because late in the game when they really needed me, um..Dom sheed ended up taking the centre square ruck, then I got caught holding the ball and then I gave away a ruck free kick. Because the one standout thing about me this far in my career is as well as being generally s**t, I'm also a dreadful choker.

I'm the future of this club!
Hi I am Oscar allen

I'm a gun forward

I'm 23 years of age and rated as the best prospect at the club as a key forward

Today I missed a goal from dead in front with no one on me 5 metres out in the first quarter....we lost by 5 points.. I had an opportunity to kick a goal with 1.30 remaining I kicked a point

But f**k it lets all slay Bailey Williams instead :rolleyes:

That’s not winning against a midfielder. That’s barely breaking even.
context helps

I didn't say they won, I literally said they were bad.

Doesn't explain how our senior mids lost clearances so badly when our rucks were getting first hands to it. They are way too used to Nic putting it on a plate for them. If they have to do any sort of work they get smacked all the time

First game and whilst some positives, it was more of what was expected.

We really are too slow for the modern game but particularly down back. I love Hurn and he is wily enough to drop in the holes and be useful (was good last year) but if he is still playing in the tail end of the season, we are not serious about rebuilding.

Hurn, Witho, Duggan (in current form), Cole (to a lesser extent) is a very slow, non-dynamic backline. Hurn (mostly because of age and slowing down) and Witho are the easy choices to replace at some stage. The sooner Hough is back in the team down there (fitness permitting) the better.

There were a few positives but how we can completely go missing for the second quarter and half of the third is ridiculous. Only to see the effort that was applied thereafter.

I defended Jamo in the practice game but our rucks were trash today. Sure, Bailey had some ok moments but the bad is really bad and the lack of competitiveness body on body is a real worry.

Hunt, Ginbey, Ryan, JJ, Sheuy were all decent. Gaff was ok too (although I still think the game has passed him by). But regardless, it is clear that our list won’t come close to competing with the best. We obviously won’t go all in on youth this early in the season but it is inevitable and obvious we need to move past some of the senior and mid age players on our list.

I would be looking at replacing O’Neill and Witho for sure next week. With who, depends on fitness I guess. The rucks we may have no choice with but a stick stuck in the middle of the ground couldn't be much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back