Unofficial Preview Round 1 Early Thoughts: Sydney v Port Adelaide @ SCG, Sat 25-Mar 4:35pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Grim and S120 are right about Tippett/Cameron. At the very least it means there should be more competition for spots between our rucks this year so surely that's a good thing?

Actually I was just postulating a plausible explanation for the interpretation from Longmire's video that he was favouring Cameron. If Cameron was fit and available for selection I would still have backed the Naismith/Tippett combination.

Yeah, I would have too, I meant I agreed with your explanation of Longmire's thinking.

No intrusion! More likely Rampe IMO so that he can play off him to release. He plays taller that his cm.

Not doubting Rampe's ability, more so thinking that Rampe's effectiveness against Eddy could compromise another matchup.

Given Aliir could miss, we could very well see Grundy take Dixon and Rampe shift to Eddy.

I suspect Smith will take Wingard, and Mills will get Young. What I will be interested to see happen from Port's perspective is if we try and get creative up forward to create a mismatch, and play both Gray and Wingard up forward at the same time. I suspect they may rotate, but it will be interesting to see what tricks Ken has in his kitbag.

Naismith's our number 1 ruck. I think we should go with him.

But I didn't like Horse's interview. There's some stuff that's not right for whatever reason. Florent showed signs but did nowhere near enough to warrant senior selection in the JLT. Cameron the same. He took 3, 4, and 2 marks in his JLT games. They were nice looking marks, and he looks likely. But you need better output than that.

Sinclair isn't in Naismith's class. I found the way Horse coupled those two together seemingly beneath Cameron was odd.

Melican not being upgraded is just weird. He looked the most senior of them all.

I don't know, it all just feels weird. Aliir has had two runs. Just play him. He's a gun.

I have a feeling we're just trying to ease into the season and may be 0-3 in a few weeks.

This is a massive chance of happening. I don't think they want to ease into it but a being forced by injury. There will be players selected this week that are not AFL Standard at this stage of their development or will never be. We lack the depth to cover the talent that will be sidelined this week and if zip & 3 is the outcome in the next few weeks top 4 is not impossible but top 2 will be. Probably gives you room for only 3 more losses at best. We went 17-5 last year in a log jam so i will be honest and say i have faith but am a little concerned that a slow start could hurt our genuine contender chances. This years premiership will not be won in Steven Bradbury Fashion like the Dogs last year. A top 4 side will salute you can bank on it. Blokes given their chance need to step up over this first month and hold the fort until hopefully we are running on all cylinders.

Think grim is right that they were going to play Cameron and Tippett

Let's be honest Tippett plays his best as number 1 ruckman like last year and Naismith can't play as a forward

Tippett number 1 and Cameron at FF is a better combo imo

Yep. Tippett is our best ruck in an all round sense. And plays his best there as well.

Rather have players play in their best position.

Sort of why I like Rampe to stay back as much as he would be fun to watch in the mids. He is a sublime defender.

This is a massive chance of happening. I don't think they want to ease into it but a being forced by injury. There will be players selected this week that are not AFL Standard at this stage of their development or will never be. We lack the depth to cover the talent that will be sidelined this week and if zip & 3 is the outcome in the next few weeks top 4 is not impossible but top 2 will be. Probably gives you room for only 3 more losses at best. We went 17-5 last year in a log jam so i will be honest and say i have faith but am a little concerned that a slow start could hurt our genuine contender chances. This years premiership will not be won in Steven Bradbury Fashion like the Dogs last year. A top 4 side will salute you can bank on it. Blokes given their chance need to step up over this first month and hold the fort until hopefully we are running on all cylinders.

We were 1-3 after 4 rounds in 2014. A slow start makes things harder, but not impossible

Different roles. Melican is someone to play on a third tall and is more of a stopper, Newman is a back pocket type with a releasing kick. Not interchangeable.

Exactly. So why would we need Newman when we already have a whole bunch of blokes who can play that position (Mills, Marsh, Jones, Lloyd, Smith)

Don't want top 2 if it means we risk playing at ANZ. Let's assume GWS will be in the top four. I want to avoid them as much as possible. Not because we can't beat them but because we can't play ANZ for peanuts

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Naismith's our number 1 ruck. I think we should go with him.

But I didn't like Horse's interview. There's some stuff that's not right for whatever reason. Florent showed signs but did nowhere near enough to warrant senior selection in the JLT. Cameron the same. He took 3, 4, and 2 marks in his JLT games. They were nice looking marks, and he looks likely. But you need better output than that.

Sinclair isn't in Naismith's class. I found the way Horse coupled those two together seemingly beneath Cameron was odd.

Melican not being upgraded is just weird. He looked the most senior of them all.

I don't know, it all just feels weird. Aliir has had two runs. Just play him. He's a gun.

I have a feeling we're just trying to ease into the season and may be 0-3 in a few weeks.

Florent looks ace, he has elite fitness, he'll be going til the dying minutes and will often dodge the first bloke that comes near him. Horse would love Cameron because he never misses (freaky conversion effeciency) and looks handy, fair enough to see what he can do.

Looks alright to me Bruce, chin up, should be a fun season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back