Autopsy Round 1: Loss against the Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sold on JOM. What is his point of difference from Brayshaw, Brodie & Serong? I don't see it.

Jackson had an 'almost' game today.
I was going to say he's a good bloke and very good looking, but then the other boys probably tick those boxes as well.

Umm...errr...
Also when you have people like Pendelbury, Mitchell, etc. delivering to people inside 50 it makes a big difference
I'm guessing you haven't watched much of the Hawks or Swans before that?

If Erasmus goes in for Fyfe is he going to play FF, I think not. Play FYFE where he needs to be.
Why not, at colts he was playing forward/mid.
He won’t back down, and is a hard nut. He seems to find the goals.
Either Fyfe finds his mojo or the game has gone past him sadly.

I'm a bit disappointed by how much 'hate' is being directed at Fyfe on this board, with all that he has given our club. Like JLo, I believe he would be so disappointed in today's result. They have enough knockers from other clubs, I find it difficult to digest the mob turning on someone of the calibre of Fyfe. We should be getting around him! I'm sure JLo and the team are not being so rude.

Nobody is directing hate at Fyfe. He is rightly being slaughtered for his beyond piss poor performance just like anyone else would be. Being a player of his caliber does not make him exempt from criticism which some people seem to believe whenever anybody has the gall to criticise him.

It was bad, yeah of course. But it is the first round of the season.

I won't knock the club or any player after just one round.

A few did look a bit rusty though. The loss doesn't mean much now, perhaps at seasons end it may mean something...

But the momentum was always been with St Kilda. Someone has to least take the game on. Wilson was okay but the issue with the backline is besides Young, there’s no run and carry to get through the zone. Walker is useful to have with his speed
Wasn't just talking about today. No the momentum wasn't always with St Kilda, as Freo had patches. Wilson did provide some run and he has much better decision making and disposal than walker.

I wonder where the leadership is in the forward line? There’s obviously a good amount of direction in the back line and for the most part they work like a well oiled machine. While they might not always get it right, there’s at least some marshalling around the midfield. The forward line though? In theory it should be Switta but I haven’t really seen him take up the role too seriously. He needs to be the one telling Fyfe to get the hell out of the way and make space, or where to make the lead. Is there some sort of issue where Switta (or others in the forward line) might think it’s “disrespectful” to give Fyfe some constructive criticism?
Switta needed to show leadership at the end of the third and drill that shot from 40 rather than take the easy option and pass to Henry who couldn't make the distance from 30.

Early seasons Simpson is outrageously good.

It was bad, yeah of course. But it is the first round of the season.

I won't knock the club or any player after just one round.

A few did look a bit rusty though. The loss doesn't mean much now, perhaps at seasons end it may mean something...
It's not 1 round. It's a pattern of behaviour. Literally the last game of the season was exactly the same.

Nobody is directing hate at Fyfe. He is rightly being slaughtered for his beyond piss poor performance just like anyone else would be. Being a player of his caliber does not make him exempt from criticism which some people seem to believe whenever anybody has the gall to criticise him.
Some of the criticism has been pretty disgusting - the guy (our hero, who chose us over Richmond) doesn't deserve this level of disrespect from the keyboard warriors.

I agree with Joao
The gameplan is seriously flawed. Chipping around slowly is several years out of date. I actually think we have the personnel to play more aggressively. It’s not impossible. Players like Clark, Frederick, Switta, Walker, Chapman and Cox would slot seamlessly into collingwoods team.
But will the coaching panel make those adjustments?
Its a weird system but it can work in certain games.

Its the forward line structure that cost freo today.

Just go look back at certain games last season. Chipping the ball around isnt the issue. Its going from the back 50 to the forward 50 that sets up the opent players in the forward 50 to get set shot at goals that works.

Some of the criticism has been pretty disgusting - the guy (our hero, who chose us over Richmond) doesn't deserve this level of disrespect from the keyboard warriors.

Why? What makes him so special? I really don't get why some people think being a great player and a club champion makes a player immune from the same criticism that would be thrown at an average player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of felt like we beat ourselves today, lost to a clearly inferior team. They took our play away from us and our guys were lost what to do next.

Credit to Ross for taking everything away from us.

Few really poor individual performances made matters much worse, especially since those poor performances were all forwards inside mids.

Easy to get carried away, but the season is long and I have no doubt we'll cause a few upsets of our own. Huge wake up call that it doesn't just happen when you turn up.

I said during pre season that Taberner wasn't looking good and unsurprisingly he still didn't today. He's close to done. Such a shame Treacy didn't take his chances. Still, I'd strongly be considering dropping Tabs for Amiss and restructuring accordingly. And my God we need NOD back on that wing.
To be fair I thought the wings were not bad today. Both Hughs and Henry will be better for their first proper run at the wing at afl level.
The Saints defence forced us to push wide every time we left our own 50 testing them alot
My Buddy Treacy and new recruit Jackson let us down by not being able to take at least one mark all day.
The mid field didnt help the defence by providing better options to leave the 50 but then again the defence looked to spread out wide at every chance playing into the saints game plan and slowing things down. With plenty of run out of defence we should of used it better.
The mids positioning and intent made life easy for the saints mids.

Am I crazing for wanting to try Clark at centre bounce he looks dangerous atm

Fyfe looked short of a gallop, the touch, kicking, marking etc was all off. Like he hadn't played for a year. The forward structure didn't help, if there even was one. I mean at one point he took the mark in the centre circle and no one was between him and the goal, not much he can do there apart from not play on and that was his fault for that. Even still, what kind of set up is that?

I was such a HUGE RTB fan, I probably wouldn't have loved anybody replacing him. I often wondered if he would have had more success with the team we had last year, instead of the one we had with so many injuries.

Best thing he said was "I don't agree with the decision but I respect it"

I'm a bit disappointed by how much 'hate' is being directed at Fyfe on this board, with all that he has given our club. Like JLo, I believe he would be so disappointed in today's result. They have enough knockers from other clubs, I find it difficult to digest the mob turning on someone of the calibre of Fyfe. We should be getting around him! I'm sure JLo and the team are not being so rude.

JL has shown he can adapt and is a great tactician - Everyone has an off day. Not great to see in round 1, but there you go.

Confident in JL turning things around, he's not afraid to make tough choices and has high standards.

Regarding Fyfe, I understand that its easy to say 'he's past it' etc. Simply put, the guy has struggled with countless injuries for longer than a year and still lacks game time at the top level. He's shown he's got the character and attitude to improve and he'll do it.

To be fair I thought the wings were not bad today. Both Hughs and Henry will be better for their first proper run at the wing at afl level.
Good call. I agree. Henry had a couple of poor disposals, but he was not alone there. And what he did well, he did really well. Love his pace, and his ever improving game. And Hughes is one tough hombre. Big body and doesn't shirk a contest. Well done to both of them on a dissapointing day.

On the selection side, I reckon Treacy will be dropped after today. Bring on the Desert Pea.

Yet to read other fans comments yet but it's the hope that kills ya. Yes I know it's only round 1 and we play the 2 worst teams in the comp in the next 2 weeks so it may become 2 and 1 . But Just really really disappointed. Might need to go punch my teddy bear. Thought we were outworked, and it pains me to type the next bit outcoached as well.

Well, we went in tall, especially forward and that was the right plan against the sinners.

Of course that falls in a hole when the forwards dropped almost every mark and our mids sprayed the ball at every opportunity. That's a game we should have won but we handed the win to those pricks.

We need to go into next week's game a bit lighter and a bit faster.

Jackson and Omeara were both extremely disappointing. I won't call them duds after one game but really neither showed why we should get excited about them.

Across the board, we were simply poor. No desire, no system, no idea. JLo has a lot to turn around in a week because we're not winning games playing like that.

4 points wasted, but better to lose that one for long term gain than sneak over the line & still think we’re great. Wake up call that was needed because we are far from there yet & credit needs to go to the Saints who knew what that game meant, particularly for their coach, where we went through the motions & it bit us on the arse.

The wings and forwardline are still our biggest weakness. There were a handful of players out there today that aren't up to the level. Replace them this week, no ******* about.

Amiss for Tabs
NOD for Hughes
Johnson for Fyfe
Erasmus for Banfield
Sturt for Treacy
Walters for Henry

I used to equate myself as the worst putter for a single figure golfer.Feel free to use worst finisher for a "potential" top four team.
its yours from now on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back