Round 1 thoughts? Impressions?

Remove this Banner Ad

But srsly...how did Melbourne make that prelim?

Mostly luck and a very easy draw.

Got beaten up by top 8 sides all year, then made finals off the back of games like getting WC without arguably their 4 best players, and playing GWS on a ground GWS almost never win at. Got Geelong first up in finals, who were well and truly cooked by that stage of the year, and then got Hawthorn with O'Meara already out, and broke Mitchell's AC joint in the first quarter, and it was pretty much over from there, although they still relied on some bizarrely poor kicking at goals from the likes of Burgoyne and Breust to make the win comfortable as they were losing the midfield battle for much of the game against what was possibly the worst midfield in the competition (Hawthorn without O'Meara and Mitchell). Prelim against WC was more reflective of where Melbourne were at for 2018. With Kennedy and Darling back in the side, Melbourne were brushed aside with ease. Up until round 21, they had beaten 0 top 8 sides. Up until that round 21 game where WC were missing Kennedy, Darling (after the first minute), Gaff, and Nic Nat, they had some very bad losses against top 8 sides, losing to Richmond by 46, Hawthorn by 67 and Pies by 42. 66 points to WC in Perth should really have not been much of a surprise.

Melbourne are not as s**t as they appeared last year though. They did have a number of injury excuses. However with a harder draw, 2019 was always going to be hard for them.

Last edited:

On what I saw just of round 1 in isolation, the Tigers weren't as convincing, or at the same level, as Collingwood, GWS and WC. Maybe the Tigers were cruising, or took the foot off the gas, but they didn't look as clinical as the other 3.
What.
Richmond in the first half were very clinical. They had the highest QT and HT score. Cruised in the second half.
West Coast was the rusty one.

On what I saw just of round 1 in isolation, the Tigers weren't as convincing, or at the same level, as Collingwood, GWS and WC. Maybe the Tigers were cruising, or took the foot off the gas, but they didn't look as clinical as the other 3.
Richmond’s first 2 and a bit quarters was up there with Collingwood as the most clinical of any team in my opinion. No surprise we had the highest half time score of the round.

However, if you were to specify midfield, then I would have agreed. Carlton really got on top of us in the midfield after quarter time and we need to find ways to get it to catch up with the top teams.

Can't believe how bad GC were, considering they usually start well
North and St Kilda both played really well and looked like finals teams
Essendon and Freo still mediocre
Melbourne won't get back to their 2018 form

Can't believe how bad GC were, considering they usually start well
North and St Kilda both played really well and looked like finals teams
Essendon and Freo still mediocre
Melbourne won't get back to their 2018 form

Not sure if serious. Fans of both clubs during that game would have happily seen us merge together, then move to Tassie, then fold.

I'm actually pretty OK with the enforced break, because it means I won't have to watch another Saints game for a while.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What.
Richmond in the first half were very clinical. They had the highest QT and HT score. Cruised in the second half.
West Coast was the rusty one.

West Coast were rusty? What game were you watching? Nic Nat looked the best he has been for years, with some straight kicking Ryan could have a career high goals, Kennedy and Darling had zero impact and we still won comfortably. Our midfield were slick. Rusty? Lol

Last edited:
I wanted to crawl up and die in the first half.

I'm sure Saints supporters felt the same in the second.

Curtis Taylor is a future top liner on the rise, turned the game for us in the 3rd.

I really, really hated the lack of crowds. I managed to sit through about half the Richmond game before I was thankfully called away to be Dad's Taxi. Could not handle more than 5 minutes of any other game.

For some reason, it affected much more than I expected. It felt like an Army Reserve game from the mid-80s. (ie - 'What the f*** else is there to do on a Sunday afternoon?').

The short quarters went quickly, time wise, but the congestion/scrappy game was still the same. As well as the short quarters, the AFL should have tried 16 a side aside to see if it would help with the congestion, with the bonus of saving on player payments as well.

Reminded me of R1 last year. Early blitz then took the foot off a bit, probably a bit prematurely and had to turn it on again later after losing some control. Errors we weren't making late last year
If it was a remotely normal season I'd expect Collingwood to beat us this Thursday.

Crows will challenge Suns for the wooden spoon.

Nicks is nothing more than a mouthpiece for the board at the Crows. Someone that won't rock the boat and that the board can manipulate. Nothing will change long term.

Essendon look the goods to finish the season undefeated.

I'll remember this as the season we were robbed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back