Preview Round 10 - GWS Giants vs Essendon, Saturday 26th May 2018, 7.25pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
For a while there, I thought we had our mojo back...

But a 2-goal second half soon put paid to that, especially when North piled on 10 goals like it was a training run.

Have a look at the blank stare on Leon's face in the opening second of the presser. It says it all. And the first question "Leon what do you make of that"? sounds like even the journos don't know what to say any more.

I was astounded when Leon said we didn't play the third quarter in the manner we wanted to, and the last quarter was "a wishy-washy" affair. Well, why didn't we play the third quarter in the manner we wanted to? Why was the last quarter a "wishy-washy" affair?

We're obviously in a form slump. So how do we get out of it? What's the plan? These were questions left unanswered.

The Bombers flattened the Cats yesterday in a result that surprised many, but to be blunt, there isn't a team in the competition that would fear playing us at the moment. They know if they turn up to play they're in with a shot.

In other news, Patton kicked three goals and had six "bests" in the NEAFL loss to Canberra, which was good for him. Matt Buntine and Nick Shipley were also among our best. Still no sign of Adam Kennedy.

But as Leon said our lack of form goes beyond the injury list and returning players and I think we all know that. We're struggling with basic things like ball use and hunger. There's no cohesion. These are serious problems.

This is when the team really need to know we care, so let's all make an effort to get as many people out to Spotless next Saturday and cheer them on.

We all need it.

Last edited:

Think that loss yesterday may be the kick in the pants for you that *Ess. had last week. Think you'll bounce back. :thumbsu:

Lotta people give you crap, but admire your tenacity as supporters in a tough enviroment. Keep the faith mate.
We thought the same when we got belted by Geelong then the Eagles.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I think we found a new way to lose against North. Getting smashed in clearances in the 3rd qtr shocked me. No doubt the North mids are underrated but...

That group of inside mids I'd argue is the best we've ever put on the field. The age profile is better than 2016 and we missed Cogs Hopper and Griffen most of last season. Kelly is a clearance option but we dont use him there much.
All we had to do was lock up posession into the wind and couldn't do it giving up first use of the ball all the time.

As for Sarurday I'll be there. Saturday nights have a great buzz around spotless.
Expect 18-19k? Hope there's no drop off because of our form.

Look forward to seeing Smith and Stewart play. Devon playing hybrid mid for the Bombers and that'll be interesting to see. Would have liked to see Kobe Mutch but after he missed this week, I doubt if he'll come back in after that win

If Patton could read big mummy's playbook of how to do things he would make a much better ruck than Lobb. We need Patton to use his size and be more aggressive with the smaller opposition mids. Change his role Leon!

I actually think we will win this one. I can see some changes coming as well. Patton kicking some goals might give him a look in. Also, kelly is a decent shout and maybe even lids? I assume Davis will be back as well.

That team looks better on paper by a long shot.

Now if we can string together three quarters (not even asking for a whole four) I reckon with a home crowd that’s enough to stop the rot

I think we found a new way to lose against North. Getting smashed in clearances in the 3rd qtr shocked me. No doubt the North mids are underrated but...

That group of inside mids I'd argue is the best we've ever put on the field. The age profile is better than 2016 and we missed Cogs Hopper and Griffen most of last season. Kelly is a clearance option but we dont use him there much.
All we had to do was lock up posession into the wind and couldn't do it giving up first use of the ball all the time.

As for Sarurday I'll be there. Saturday nights have a great buzz around spotless.
Expect 18-19k? Hope there's no drop off because of our form.

Look forward to seeing Smith and Stewart play. Devon playing hybrid mid for the Bombers and that'll be interesting to see. Would have liked to see Kobe Mutch but after he missed this week, I doubt if he'll come back in after that win
FYI kelly averaged 5 clearances a game last year.

Hopefully the changes are: Patton, Davis and Kelly in for Keefe, Mohr and Cumming. Need to restore a bit of order in our structure and get some continuity.

We seriously need a convincing win right about now. The midfield unit seriously needs to put their hand up and take control of this game. Yesterday, our mids got absolutely demolished, especially in that 3rd quarter. I think Ward and Hopper barely touched it in that quarter.

FYI kelly averaged 5 clearances a game last year.
I expressed it badly in saying we dont use him much inside. We prefer not to would have better. Clearly he has an inside game. We had a depleted inside mid group last year. He did play inside a lot.
From observation I dont believe he 's our first, or best, choice inside. When we have less injuries he tends to play outside more.
Small sample admittedly but he averaged 1 from 3 games this year. With a full strength inside mid group I dont think he'll play inside at the clearances much. That more a prediction though. Midfield tactics are complicated and I dont know what's in Lenny Haye's mind.

For a while there, I thought we had our mojo back...

But a 2-goal second half soon put paid to that, especially when North piled on 10 goals like it was a training run.

Have a look at the blank stare on Leon's face in the opening second of the presser. It says it all. And the first question "Leon what do you make of that"? sounds like even the journos don't know what to say any more.

I was astounded when Leon said we didn't play the third quarter in the manner we wanted to, and the last quarter was "a wishy-washy" affair. Well, why didn't we play the third quarter in the manner we wanted to? Why was the last quarter a "wishy-washy" affair?

We're obviously in a form slump. So how do we get out of it? What's the plan? These were questions left unanswered.

The Bombers flattened the Cats yesterday in a result that surprised many, but to be blunt, there isn't a team in the competition that would fear playing us at the moment. They know if they turn up to play they're in with a shot.

In other news, Patton kicked three goals and had six "bests" in the NEAFL loss to Canberra, which was good for him. Matt Buntine and Nick Shipley were also among our best. Still no sign of Adam Kennedy.

But as Leon said our lack of form goes beyond the injury list and returning players and I think we all know that. We're struggling with basic things like ball use and hunger. There's no cohesion. These are serious problems.

This is when the team really need to know we care, so let's all make an effort to get as many people out to Spotless next Saturday and cheer them on.

We all need it.
GWS are offering four free tickets per membership. I’ll be offering mine to people at work.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS are offering four free tickets per membership. I’ll be offering mine to people at work.
Haven't received the offer. Might just be email blasts in stages. It's early in the week. Could have used them against the Eagles. Ah well.

Doomsday here for the club, lose this and I would say the chance of finals is gone as too many teams will get their tails up thinking they can win and will have players having career best games v the Giants. This is the time for the senior players to step up and hopefully the coaches can get them up or I will join in the chorus not for LCs head but for some serious changes to the coaching list

My team for the game
Kelly needs to be an in Davis back in and Bonar for a debut
Keefe, Reid and HH out and if Fyfe/Grigg/Dunkley can ruck put in Griffen/Lloyd/Ward to provide a contest
Shaw Davis Finlayson
Griffen Corr Haynes
Shiel Ward Whitfield
Kelly Cameron TT
Lloyd Patton Langdon
Lobb Coniglio Hopper
Cumming Tomlinson Perryman Bonar

Haven't received the offer. Might just be email blasts in stages. It's early in the week. Could have used them against the Eagles. Ah well.
It was in a email subjected: "Get Ready for Members Round!"

PM me if you don't see it, I'll send the link and code, which I think anyone can use

I think out of the role players, Keefe was good on the weekend. I think HH had a decent game in patches as well but if patton is a shout to come back I would have HH missing. I think Cumming might be on shaky ground but the ins really rely on the injury report. Kelly in is massive as it gives us added class in the middle/forward of the ground. Can't understate what a loss Greene has been in that forward line. He is a beast 1:1 in the air and on the ground.

From the Match day info.

Match Day Activities

The Fan Zone is located inside stadium gates on the Northern concourse, follow G-Man and GiGi’s footsteps inside Gate D to locate the GIANTS Fan Zone.

- GIANTS Big Kick, GIANTS Dual station with Netball and AFL and the specky inflatable
- GIANTS Recruits: show your GIANTS Recruits Card at the GIANTS Recruits hub in the Fan Zone to collect your limited edition GIANTS Recruits drink bottle
- Face painters
- Toyo Tires Kick For Cash: practice you kicking skills and see if you can kick a football into a set of Toyo Tires.
- Nova 96.9
- The Daily Telegraph Marks Up
- St.George: Stop by to pick up a FREE Go GIANTS banner, have your face painted and get your photo taken with our awesome GIANTS cut-outs.
- Groupon: take your photo skydiving with GIANTS players, upload your photo on social media using #GROUPONANZ and you could win a Groupon voucher valued at $100! The winner will be announced in Tuesday’s members EDM.
- Virgin Australia: come and see the Virgin Australia Cabin Crew roving the concourse from 12:00–3:00pm who will be able to assist you in entering the Virgin Australia Away 22 Competition.
- BINGO: Want to win $15,000 worth of gear for your junior footy club with thanks to BINGO? Check out the BINGO skip bin full of prizes on the concourse just inside Gate D and register your junior club today!
- First timers giveaway marquee
- G-MAN & GiGi appearances

Pretty sure there's a typo there

I actually think we will win this one. I can see some changes coming as well. Patton kicking some goals might give him a look in. Also, kelly is a decent shout and maybe even lids? I assume Davis will be back as well.

That team looks better on paper by a long shot.

Now if we can string together three quarters (not even asking for a whole four) I reckon with a home crowd that’s enough to stop the rot
Raymann said Lids not back for a couple of weeks

Bit of torture... how good does this look at the moment?

Shaw Davis Finlayson
Haynes Tomlinson Williams
Kelly
Shiel Whitfield
Taranto Cameron Scully
De
Boer Patton Greene
Lobb Ward Cogs

Deledio Hopper HH Langdon

Missing nearly half a team last week.

Bit of torture... how good does this look at the moment?

Shaw Davis Finlayson
Haynes Tomlinson Williams
Kelly
Shiel Whitfield
Taranto Cameron Scully
De
Boer Patton Greene
Lobb Ward Cogs

Deledio Hopper HH Langdon

Missing nearly half a team last week.
True, surely Patton had to play. He is quality, a better coach would have picked him and not played him in the ruck at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back