Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel 7 posted the rule on tv saying it was 18.13 (b)

A field Umpire shall award a Free against a player who:
hands ball to another player
🤷‍♂️
18.13 (a) says players are penalised for throwing the ball.

So is it a free to throw the ball back to the umpire too??????

Channel 7 are completely incompetent, unprofessional morons.

My thoughts following a disrupted and restless sleep:

1. Good signs from Harrison, Richards, Sullivan Parker. I thought Parker did what was required of him in his limited game time, Sullivan had a much better second half after a poor first half and Harrison and Richards were clean and constructive.

2. Allan should look to improve across the season - it should do him a world of good to see the level, as I thought Sharp showed him how to play wing at AFL level.

3. Our goalkicking cost us the game tonight, contentious umpiring decisions aside. Naicos missed 3 he would usually kick, Jaicos was 1/2 and a few others didn’t take their opportunities, particularly in the 2nd quarter when we went goalless.

4. Noble and IQ were very good and won important 50/50 battles across the night. I’ve been critical of Noble previously, and he still makes me nervous, but he showed great maturity last night and was solid if not spectacular.

5. It’s difficult to criticise the team for going into save game mode given the success we’ve had over the last 2.5 seasons. Maybe it just needs a bit of a tweak, such as taking the game on when we’re streaming off half back by going directly through the corridor, rather than kicking wide to initiate a stoppage like Jaicos did and Naicos seemed to at the end.

To me that game encapsulated our season so far. Slow start, got up and running, then didn’t quite do enough to get the job done, for a variety of reasons. I’ve also felt as if this season may be a nearly season, and with our run coming up and the mounting injury list, we’ll need to be at our best for a long period of time just to make top 4.

The silver lining is that some of our kids are emerging which should allow us to target areas of need to build depth. Battle and Miller should be priorities and we should be seeking to acquire an LDU-equivalent across the next year or so. Filling out the middle of the list will allow us to maximise the upper echelon talents we already have.

I’m not wasting any further energy dissecting the umpiring, but will say that it was a terribly umpired game and 4 umpires is not working.

Harrison and Richards are going to be hard to tip out of the 22. Id like to see Harrison get more ball, but what he does get he uses well, reads the play well and gets to the right spots. Richards already looks like a seasoned player. I also thought Parker looked comfortable at this level.

18.14 (a) says players are penalised for throwing the ball.

So is it a free to throw the ball back to the umpire too??????

Channel 7 are completely incompetent, unprofessional morons.
Fox referred to an AFL clarification in 2022 that was sent to clubs / umpires which was to the effect that you must give the ball to the umpire, not another player.

So, technically there’s no explicit rule, but a directive provided by the AFL.

They definitely got it wrong. It would be really helpful if just one of the channel 7 commentators knew any of the rules.
Channel 7 commentary is at an all time low.

We had Hodge whinging about deliberate OOB when Freo players are hacking the ball out of the air and shooting out of bounds 30m away from the next set of players.

Cameron coathangered in the ruck - “what else was the Freo player supposed to do?!?!?!”

The public should seriously campaign to have these buffoons sacked.

Harrison and Richards are going to be hard to tip out of the 22. Id like to see Harrison get more ball, but what he does get he uses well, reads the play well and gets to the right spots. Richards already looks like a seasoned player. I also thought Parker looked comfortable at this level.
If he is going to kick three goals a game, he can be excused a few possessions. Both he and Richards are currently between them everything that Schultz is not.

This one feels a bit flatter than ANZAC Day given the opportunities to win it in the dying minutes. It's absolutely undeniable that the 'free goal' gave our opponents the momentum to go on and draw the game but as Fly said, it shouldn't be an excuse for letting that slip. If there's a positive out of that, we exposed our younger players to the pressure and grunt of a Collingwood close finish. I suspect if (more like when) we come across that sort of situation later in the year those players will have more nerve and confidence playing under that pressure.

All things considered, Freo are a top 8 side right now so playing over in the West with the squad we have was always going to be an uphill battle. Overall, yeah it sucks but 2 points is 2 points.

We had Hodge whinging about deliberate OOB when Freo players are hacking the ball out of the air and shooting out of bounds 30m away from the next set of players.

Cameron coathangered in the ruck - “what else was the Freo player supposed to do?!?!?!”

Haha, I couldn't believe he said that when Darcy got that free for nearly having his head taken off.

Hodge was the worst I've ever heard him last night. And he continues to whine & compare about something which happened an hour before 🙄

Literally sulks when we kick a goal.

Fox referred to an AFL clarification in 2022 that was sent to clubs / umpires which was to the effect that you must give the ball to the umpire, not another player.

So, technically there’s no explicit rule, but a directive provided by the AFL.
Going by that, there's a fair sized loophole that worked against us big time in that instance.

Hodge is a pretty basic guy, despite football achievements it is clear why he is not being questioned around going into coaching.

But him being a neanderthal, is different from the bitter, hatred he has for us that is blatantly obvious when he commentates our games.

It's like listening to Phil Gould commentate Melbourne Storm games, obvious, pathetic and agenda driven.

You can wear Richo offering nothing and mimicing the opinions of his co commentators, BT becoming fixated on rubbish depending on the week and JB just being twee . But Hodge is simply unacceptable.

Embarrassing thread.

Stop being a massive sook
Boys were valiant.
Umps were less than dogshit.
That's comment not sooking.

Going by that, there's a fair sized loophole that worked against us big time in that instance.
Yeh, it’s the usual AFL modus operandi which leaves discretion up to 4 individuals who can determine whether to enforce a rule or directive or not. Unfortunately those 4 individuals typically have no feel for the game or common sense and can hide behind AFL-directives and an organisation that will back them whatever the decision or consequences.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible result, 25 points up with 7 to go in a low scoring game. Shockingly bad to lose 2 points like that!

Liked what I saw from the debutants in a highly contested game.

Injuries are worrisome. We were very fumbly and our skills were deplorable.

Does anyone know what was wrong with Pendles? Could he be out?

I can't see how you can say it won't be a top 4 finish at this stage of the year. The top 10 sides are moving in & out of the 3rd & 4th positions each week.
Also we finished 4th in 2022

We were sitting 10th after round 11 on 24 points and 102.9%

It’s as even a comp as I can remember this year. Sydney are the clear stand out. Then there’s a pack of several.

Terrible result, 25 points up with 7 to go in a low scoring game. Shockingly bad to lose 2 points like that!

Liked what I saw from the debutants in a highly contested game.

Injuries are worrisome. We were very fumbly and our skills were deplorable.

Does anyone know what was wrong with Pendles? Could he be out?
Bicep injury. Can’t be more specific.

His decision making is slow hence why he takes the ball to ground for stoppage continually, rather than find a target.
He only had one tackle last night.
I too thought he was surprisingly good for much of the night. He certainly seemed prolific with possessions and stood up well in the contests. If I was looking for our weakest link, my eyes wouldn't rest on him for more than a split second. He made some mistakes and maybe cost us the game but he more than played his role.

Not sure how I feel about this one. On the one hand, it was a mighty effort with 6 players under 10 games, against a full strength Freo over there. No KPFs in the last quarter and Pendles seemingly injured.
On the other hand, 25 up with less than 10 minutes to go, it's disappointing not to hang on.
I think we just ran out of legs and inexperience at the level didn't help.
Shows we actually have good depth, but no team can bring in 6 players with under 10 games and then lose both KPSs and expect to win against a decent side, yet we nearly did.
We are without doubt a very good side to be able to perform the way we are with the injuries we have. If we can get a good run of players coming back, we are easily a top 4 side. Even if we finish in the bottom half of the 8, no one will be wanting to play us if we are at full strength.
As for "that" decision, Nicholls can officially GAGF.

Not sure how I feel about this one. On the one hand, it was a mighty effort with 6 players under 10 games, against a full strength Freo over there. No KPFs in the last quarter and Pendles seemingly injured.
On the other hand, 25 up with less than 10 minutes to go, it's disappointing not to hang on.
I think we just ran out of legs and inexperience at the level didn't help.
Shows we actually have good depth, but no team can bring in 6 players with under 10 games and then lose both KPSs and expect to win against a decent side, yet we nearly did.
We are without doubt a very good side to be able to perform the way we are with the injuries we have. If we can get a good run of players coming back, we are easily a top 4 side. Even if we finish in the bottom half of the 8, no one will be wanting to play us if we are at full strength.
As for "that" decision, Nicholls can officially GAGF.
You say 'when we are at full strength'. Problem is that as we are currently collecting more injuries each week than is balanced by returning players, we will be in a world of pain in the coming weeks and the losses we have avoided may become inevitable. The only player missing last night who is a chance to come back next week according to McRae is Howe.

I think thats exactly the case. They looked like they were running up and down on the spot the last 15 minutes. Still probably should have won though. A lot of poor shots at goal killed us. As well as that umpiring decision. I dont think even Razor Ray in his grandstanding prime would have stooped to that level. The Switkowski one was just as bad. They copped a few bad ones as well. The standard overall was pretty poor.

Was always going to be a tough game and thing will get tougher now with the ridiculous amount of injuries piling up. Harrison and Richards were fantastic and the few thing Parker did impressed me more so than Allan who just isn't ready imo.

Poor old Darcy Cameron has a big week coming up
Darcy has stood up all season and we need a massive effort from again in the coming weeks,we are bloody lucky he is going so well as we are running out of tall options fast.

You say 'when we are at full strength'. Problem is that as we are currently collecting more injuries each week than is balanced by returning players, we will be in a world of pain in the coming weeks and the losses we have avoided may become inevitable. The only player missing last night who is a chance to come back next week according to McRae is Howe.
We can always rely on you for our daily dose of catastrophising.
There is 3 months to before the finals, plenty of time to get players back.
All we have to do is qualify.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back