Review Round 11 = Fremantle 75-75 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah. What you're advocating for is: an umpire sees an infraction but decides not to pay a free because it's late in the game. Not how it should work, especially for cut and dry decisions like running too far. There's no interpretation of intent here, it's simply did he run too far? Rankine very clearly did (by almost 10m). The umpire noticed he ran too far so needs to pay the free. This is one that is difficult to notice, but when noticed it should, and I would say is, always paid. If you want the umpire to not pay it even when he knows the player has infringed, taking an advantage, how far does it go? Can a player run from the 50 arc to the goal square? The entire field? There has to be a limit to generosity. For me the limit is the umpire being certain an infringement has occurred. In the Rankine case the umpire was correct and by enough of a margin (almost 10m) for it to be a good and reasonable call. If it was marginal I'd agree he should have given Rankine the benefit of doubt.

As already pointed out, even with the free not paid against Rankine the Crows did not have a goal. It looked like there'd be a ball up with just seconds remaining, with the chance of a win still slim. So, disappointing but not immediately effecting the scoreboard.

The free against Sullivan last night is a bit different. Given time off had been called, and even if not, the delay was minor, it seems at worst to be only an infringement of etiquette. It had no impact on the game that I could see (if there is an actual impact, not just technicality, then I'd like to know what it is). Sullivan, on the ground, threw the ball to the nearest standing player who handed it to the umpire. Didn't take a great deal of time. The free paid directly resulted in a goal, so extra angst is understandable to the Crows being denied a slight opportunity for a goal.

Assuming the call was correct, which is the other point: this kind of call is so rare that many of us can't recall having seen it before and are not even sure it was the right call (unlike running too far which everyone understands). If correct it seems harsh to call it at that point, given the seeming lack of impact, but I'd accept it.

The decision against Sullivan sucked and I can see how the Rankine one would have too, even though the latter was definitely correct and the Sullivan one I think will be ticked off by the AFL. The Rankine one, for me, has to be paid once noticed, he's infringed and taken an advantage. If this happened to the Pies I'd be disappointed but would blame the player, not the ump. The free against Sullivan, to my knowledge (prepared to be corrected), is a technicality and doesn't necessarily have to be paid, but I accept it if correct, if it was a wrong call, that's crap but mistakes happen.

All those too many words said, I don't blame the umpiring on us losing two points. We missed chances we should have taken in the last and a number of things went Freo's way, you can't win them all.

I think we got really unlucky with the umpiring in the last few minutes. Not just the handing the ball to Nick - there were 3 other WTF calls in the centre square. My take is that it was a classic AFL umpiring over focus on their focus area. With all the discussion around the Rankin one, the conversation was essentially should they swallow the whistle at the end of a close game or pay things that were there. Based on that game, I think they've decided that they have to pay things that are there regardless of the game situation and were trying so hard to do so that they imagined things being there so they could pay them.

We're so depleted, we're in real trouble now. The cupboard is bare.

At the game, watching from the nose bleed section, you could we were dears looking into the headlights after Bobby kicked that goal.

Not gonna use the umpires as an excuse.

The positive out of all this is getting games into the kids on the block.

Harrison, Richards, Allan and Parker et al all look promising.

Expected a loss going into the game, but disappointed in that last 10 minutes.

I expect a heavy loss next week given our list availability.
The Doggies are the ultimate Jekyll and Hyde team - fantastic one week, execrable the next.
Let's hope we get the flaky version next week.

I think we got really unlucky with the umpiring in the last few minutes. Not just the handing the ball to Nick - there were 3 other WTF calls in the centre square. My take is that it was a classic AFL umpiring over focus on their focus area. With all the discussion around the Rankin one, the conversation was essentially should they swallow the whistle at the end of a close game or pay things that were there. Based on that game, I think they've decided that they have to pay things that are there regardless of the game situation and were trying so hard to do so that they imagined things being there so they could pay them.
Agree that there may have been a focus after Adelaide last week, but also our "game management" or league wide tactics in general. Last two weeks we've had some hot HTB decisions late that are usually let go at any time. Just wonder if they're looking more closely at tactics to close the game down. Might have been why they were so trigger happy on the "time wasting".

Sorry to intrude guys. We totally stole 2 points there, but Quaynor admitted in an interview after the game he never touched it. To many games are being decided by the umpires

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

oh wow really? lol

Interesting he'd do that because holy crap it looked touched on the replay

So I rarely say much of anything about umpiring as it’s always “whatever”. But if Collingwood just let that go and don’t make a formal complaint to the AFL what are we even doing with this game???

The absolute mongrel pulled a free kick out of his ass. I’ve never seen that kind of absolute BS call in my years of watching football

Any normal person would have not said a thing. He legit manufactured a free kick infront of goals to freo.

If this isn’t reported and pursued to the limit of the clubs ability absolute SHAME

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players are allowed to just drop the ball as far as I’m aware. If Sullivan had just put it on the ground Nicholls wouldn’t have had any opportunity to pay the free.

Well that's what Sidebottom did, he left the ball on the ground, but for some reason the umpire was apparently calling out to Sidebottom to give him the ball, but Sidey left it on the ground, and it looks like Nicholls was frustrated by that, so at the next opportunity Nicholls paid a free kick immediately......

So I rarely say much of anything about umpiring as it’s always “whatever”. But if Collingwood just let that go and don’t make a formal complaint to the AFL what are we even doing with this game???

The absolute mongrel pulled a free kick out of his ass. I’ve never seen that kind of absolute BS call in my years of watching football

Any normal person would have not said a thing. He legit manufactured a free kick infront of goals to freo.

If this isn’t reported and pursued to the limit of the clubs ability absolute SHAME
It would do us no good for Pies to lodge a formal complaint with the AFL, given they have said it was the correct decision.

It would do us no good for Pies to lodge a formal complaint with the AFL, given they have said it was the correct decision.
Honestly wouldn’t care. The AFL needs a smarten the F up round of media. The “correct decision” …… a decision that literally never taken by any umpire ever until now. I’ve watched a lot of AFL and this is the first I’ve seen such a call.

If they can’t acknowledge that and have a serious word with that umpire then what kind of sport is this? One ruled by the bean counters and “but rule A dash 1C says…”

Furthermore if we are “afraid” of what the umpires might do if a complaint is lodged. Doesn’t that honestly tell you all you need to know?

The umpires are an absolute cancer on this game. The new “celebrity” umpires make me sick.

Well that's what Sidebottom did, he left the ball on the ground, but for some reason the umpire was apparently calling out to Sidebottom to give him the ball, but Sidey left it on the ground, and it looks like Nicholls was frustrated by that, so at the next opportunity Nicholls paid a free kick immediately......
I hope we simply put the ball on the ground at every stoppage next week and potentially longer.

Players are allowed to just drop the ball as far as I’m aware. If Sullivan had just put it on the ground Nicholls wouldn’t have had any opportunity to pay the free.
The silly thing in all of this is had Sullivan placed the footy on the ground it would have been slower getting to the ump.

since where on the umpires train, I remember hearing whilst watching, freo had the ball on the 50 arc and the umpire said to Maynard ( I think it was ) if you don’t man the mark it’s 50. Does. Their always have to someone on the mark ?

Honestly wouldn’t care. The AFL needs a smarten the F up round of media. The “correct decision” …… a decision that literally never taken by any umpire ever until now. I’ve watched a lot of AFL and this is the first I’ve seen such a call.

If they can’t acknowledge that and have a serious word with that umpire then what kind of sport is this? One ruled by the bean counters and “but rule A dash 1C says…”

Furthermore if we are “afraid” of what the umpires might do if a complaint is lodged. Doesn’t that honestly tell you all you need to know?

The umpires are an absolute cancer on this game. The new “celebrity” umpires make me sick.
If the umpires are so sh1t and unimportant, why do they receive medals on grand final day, why do they announce the All Australian Umpire Squad each year and why did they announce a team of the century in 2002? They’re the most important part of footy.

Nice rant considering it’s a whole day later.

The umpire ****ed up but a complaint will achieve nothing. Fly and the club are smarter than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back