Game Day Round 11 - Walyalup vs Collingwood - Friday 24/05/2024 @ 18:10 AWST - The Bing Match Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

The anticipation is palpable as the undefeated Walyalup, formerly known as Fremantle FC, prepares to clash with the reigning premiers Collingwood under the dazzling Friday night lights at Optus Stadium. This Round 11 encounter is not just another match; it's a tapestry of narratives woven into the fabric of the AFL season. For the first time, Walyalup will face the unique post-game phenomenon of Roaming Brian, adding an extra layer of excitement to the event.

Collingwood's debutant, Ed Allan, is set to add fuel to the fire as he faces his former club, which he was 'stolen' from, marking a pivotal moment in his budding career. The emotional stakes are further heightened as Lachie "Shoota" Schultz, now donning the black and white, commemorates his 100th match against the very club where his AFL journey began.

Walyalup's goal accuracy, or rather the lack of it, has been a talking point this season. Despite leading the league in shots over the last four rounds, their inability to convert opportunities into points has been their Achilles' heel, a weakness they must address if they are to maintain their undefeated streak.

Amidst the competitive spirit, the Sir Doug Nicolls round brings a reflective pause, celebrating the rich heritage and contributions of indigenous players to the game. It's a week that transcends the sport, highlighting the cultural tapestry that makes AFL not just a game, but a unifying Australian tradition.

As the match approaches, the narrative extends beyond the field, encapsulating the evolution of a club's identity with Fremantle FC's transition to Walyalup. This change is a nod to the deep-rooted history and the indigenous community, adding a profound significance to the club's participation in the Sir Doug Nicolls round.

The stage is set for a monumental showdown, with each kick, mark, and goal carrying the weight of history, pride, and the unyielding spirit of competition. Fans will be on the edge of their seats, witnessing a game that's more than just a battle for points—it's a celebration of heritage, a test of mettle, and a chapter in the ongoing saga of the AFL.

Walyalup.png

Last edited:
Robot GIF

As a Tao philosopher may have said of Freo:

“When an archer is shooting for nothing he has all his skill. He is self-connected.

If he then shoots for the reward of the brass buckle, he is already nervous.

If he then shoots for a prize of gold, or first place, he goes blind or now has two targets; one is the bull’s-eye and the other is the prize. He is now ‘out of his mind.’

His skill and ability has not changed. It is the prize that divides him.

He cares. He cares more of winning than of shooting. And the ‘need’ to win drains him of power.”

We have too often gone to water when the stakes and expectations have gone up a level.

This game is a huge opportunity for our young team to show they can handle the occasion and manage the pressure that arises from their own expectations.

I believe we’ll get the win.

LFG!

Worried about this one. Pies have overall skilled and quick team to punish opps on turnovers and rebound. These are the teams that give us headaches

What a week! And what a game it will be!

We don't need to fear any team. So enjoy the weather this week, walk around the river, go to the beach, have a bbq with friends and romance the wife! Play with the kids, enjoy their laughter and zealous enthusiasm for life!

Life is beautiful, no one is promised another day. What a time to be alive, in the lucky country! And supporting a team on the rise.

The decade of dominance has begun. And we have class on every line.

LFG!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Friday night game v a top 8 team who are undermanned and if we play well should beat.
This is a game where some petty umpiring decision will go against us and we'll lose 7.17- 10.3.
The faithful will say we were robbed and the pessimists will say we didn't deserve to win for not taking our chances.

What a week! And what a game it will be!

We don't need to fear any team. So enjoy the weather this week, walk around the river, go to the beach, have a bbq with friends and romance the wife! Play with the kids, enjoy their laughter and zealous enthusiasm for life!

Life is beautiful, no one is promised another day. What a time to be alive, in the lucky country! And supporting a team on the rise.

The decade of dominance has begun. And we have class on every line.

LFG!!!

I Bring You Love Season 8 GIF by The Simpsons

I was confident with DeGoey out, and without Elliot, as I feel like both of those players are an impossible match up against us, but having had a look at what might be their prospective team, it looks good.

Pendelbury, Daicos x 2,Crisp, Quaynor, Sidebottom, Maynard, Moore, Hill, Schultz

That's a core of 10 players that can lead the others to victory, and if McCreery and Mihocek come back they've got a well balanced forward line.

Travel might be a factor against the older players and there'll be a handful of players who have played less than 10 games (one will probably be a sub) and who won't have made the trip to Perth before, but even their roleplayers like Lipinski, Cox and Noble have played over 100 games. We'll have more players under 50 games and less players over 100 games.

Will be won in the midfield.

Last edited:
The bookies know more than all of us combined. We're favored over the slow starting but heating up reigning premiers. We have the cattle, we just need to execute.

1716409218315.png

Sharp and Clark have been huge our last two games and will continue being instrumental in our transitions. The big Hodor will clean up in the ruck with Jacko to provide more tall options up top. The loss of Freddy hurts but we won't have to worry about the ball hitting the deck since our the Triple J's will be marking everything coming their way.

Shultz doesn't worry me a bit. This game will be won in the midfield and in front of the sticks. He'll have his tackles and his 1 goal. Who cares? He's dead to me when he left. More importantly, if we can get our collective heads out of our collective a**es and kick straight, we win. If we do what we've done the past couple games, we lose. Simple as that.

I'll be watching the replay with a buddy at 8am on Friday (my time), who's slowly becoming a Freo supporter and footy lover. He's watched 5 of the games so far with me. If we can win this game we'll be back in the 8 and off to Alice Springs! Let's go!!!

#GFG

The bookies know more than all of us combined. We're favored over the slow starting but heating up reigning premiers. We have the cattle, we just need to execute.

View attachment 1997401

Sharp and Clark have been huge our last two games and will continue being instrumental in our transitions. The big Hodor will clean up in the ruck with Jacko to provide more tall options up top. The loss of Freddy hurts but we won't have to worry about the ball hitting the deck since our the Triple J's will be marking everything coming their way.

Shultz doesn't worry me a bit. This game will be won in the midfield and in front of the sticks. He'll have his tackles and his 1 goal. Who cares? He's dead to me when he left. More importantly, if we can get our collective heads out of our collective a**es and kick straight, we win. If we do what we've done the past couple games, we lose. Simple as that.

I'll be watching the replay with a buddy at 8am on Friday (my time), who's slowly becoming a Freo supporter and footy lover. He's watched 5 of the games so far with me. If we can win this game we'll be back in the 8 and off to Alice Springs! Let's go!!!

#GFG
Betting markets are a reflection of common opinion, hedging and psychology.

St Kilda were favourites last round.

Betting markets are a reflection of common opinion, hedging and psychology.

St Kilda were favourites last round.
Betting markets have multiple factors involved. They don't always reflect the likelihood of a particular outcome based on rational assessments; they also have to frame the market based on where money flows for irrational reasons* or they would lose money on certain outcomes. Also these days the odds are partially guided by all the predictive models (The Squiggle being the one most people have heard of on here), and on those models we are the slight favourite. Currently +10 on the Squiggle, and it will likely increase further after the teams come out tonight.

*Hence the bigger clubs generally have slightly shorter odds they should due to the larger numbers of people betting on their own team to win for emotional reason. Or average punters betting against teams with long term poor records (like ours) because of that record rather than the immediate facts and patterns in front of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back