Preview Round 14 - Hawthorn vs. Carlton - Friday 29th June 7:50PM @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure we need a topic to start talking about this game. The last time I saw Hawks V Carlton live was in 2008 indoors at Etihad, Buddy kicked his 100th for the season, and the Hawks had a comfortable win.

I'll be in town for this game, hoping Buddy kicks 6 for his 500th Career goal. I'd like to see us demolish Cartlon, but I have a feeling it will be a close game.

Lewis will be back from holidays and WiteX will probably be available, will Hodge play?

I think we should get the job done but it will be a different Carlton I think after the break, they were seriously looking tired and Juddy was looking shot. They should be refreshed as we will be, but I think it will make more of a difference for them as I think they were starting to struggle more than we were. I think we will get up by 4 to 5 goals.

Just hope they come to play in the 1st quarter the Blues will be desperate as hell.

Line up??? This is one game where I think it is horses for courses as to who is out and who starts the sub. Being tht we have really monstered Carlton in the middle over our last 4 or 5 wins against them I think we will go with a strong (Physically) team. I think it might be -

Ins - Lewis & WhiteX
Outs - Murphy & Hill

FB: Stratton - Gibson - Guerra
HB: Burgers - Schoey - Birchall
Ce: Smith - Mitchell - Shiels
HF: Gunston - Buddy - Breust
FF: Rioli - Roughead - Pops

Ru: Hale
RR: Sewell
Ro: Lewis

I/C: Suckling, WhiteX, Youngy + Savage

Do we send Lewis to Judd and see if he can towel him up like last year, I think Lewis will be eager to get out there after the suspension and I think the Carlton game last year was a defining game for Lewis. Who will they send Carazzo to, Mitchell or Sewelly?

I have a bad feeling about this one. Had the same thing against the Tiges.

In: Lewis, WhiteX
Out: Murphy, Hill

WhiteX sub

I have the exact opposite feeling.

The blues tend to not like teams that have a lot of strong inside ball winners. I am not one to make outlandish predictions but i have a strange feeling we are going to demolish them. Our defensive pressure in the last 2-3 weeks has been the best in the comp hands down. Once we get it forward we just don't give it back.

I really can't see where Carlton can exploit us in this one. Their midfield is desperately missing Murphy. They have no quality key forwards to threaten us. Their backline has nobody capable of containing Buddy and is down on form and their rucks in Hampson and Kruezer are just going. If we lose this one it will because we didn't bring our 'A' game.

In: Lewis + Whitecross

Out: Gunston + Murphy

FB: Stratton - Gibson - Guerra
HB: Burgers - Schoey - Birchall
Ce: Young - Mitchell - Lewis
HF: Pops - Franko - Whitey
FF: Rioli - Roughie - Breust

Ru: Hale
RR: Sewell
Ro: Shiels

I/C: Smith, Suckling, Savage + Hill

Hodge to get another week of intense training and be back for the GWS game.

Hawks to do what we did to them in the first half last year.............and then do it again in the second half.

Let Lewis run free. Goal kicking ball magnet. Sewell/Shiels to follow Judd.

Sorry for this, but will Marc Murphy play? I assume after 6 weeks (similar to Hodge), he would need a run in the 2nd's.

If no Murphy, Blues will struggle. Let Sewell/ Shiels shut down Judd and let Broc get 48 clangers.

Lewis may be short of a gallop i'd say, may see less gametime since its his 1st game in a month.

The game plan will be the same as it has been every time we have met them over the last few years. Play physical and make them earn every kick. AFL's worst kept secret that they hate the physical stuff and have a very soft underbelly. I reckon if we bring our unsociable game, get in their face punish them when they go near the ball, we should register a pretty comfortable win.

The selections this week will tell us a lot about Clarko's mindset. Bringing in Lewis and Whitecross for Gunston and Murphy will tell us he wants an extra running player to help quell Carlton's running game should it get going (hill to be sub to counter punch the Carlton runners and make them accountable). Dropping Murphy and Hill will tell us Clarko plans to out gun the blues with the additional mobile marking target. I think he will do the former considering what a weapon Hill is and the major risk to us is their runners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The game plan will be the same as it has been every time we have met them over the last few years. Play physical and make them earn every kick. AFL's worst kept secret that they hate the physical stuff and have a very soft underbelly. I reckon if we bring our unsociable game, get in their face punish them when they go near the ball, we should register a pretty comfortable win.

Any idea if JL's role will be similar to last season?

No idea on Murphy GH, but my post was made on the assumption that he won't play. Based on Judd being in there without Murphy, I'd assign Shiels/Sewell and let Lewis go.

Agree mate. Was having a discussion with a Blues Supporter friend. Who will play on Buddy? I reckon Henderson will get the job with Jamieson taking the other tall. Got a feeling Gunston will have a role to play in this game.

Yep I have an idea but unfortunately I cannot divulge ;)

I was afraid you were going to say that.

Unfortunately, you leave me with no choice.....

wedgie.jpg

In: Whitecross + Lewis.

Out: Murphy + Savage.

Hill to stay as the sub. Just think Hill has shown a bit more than Savage since his inclusion.

It's going to be a tight contest, I have no doubts about that. The Blues will be desperate to knock us over and get their season back on track. We need to show up and be on our game from the start and really win the midfield contest. Lewis and Whitecross are big ins for us, Lewis has been exceptional this year and WhiteX has also had a great year to date. I think we Will play Gunston in an attempt to stretch their defence with height and I'd say Lewis will play a tagging role. Hopefully Savage plays in the midfield again as he looks far more comfortable in there that playing deep forward.

Who goes to Betts? Yarran? Garlett? Walker? Carlton have a pretty small forward line and we have a rather tall one so Murphy might hold his spot for this one. Beat them in the middle and we will win.

I have the exact opposite feeling.

The blues tend to not like teams that have a lot of strong inside ball winners. I am not one to make outlandish predictions but i have a strange feeling we are going to demolish them. Our defensive pressure in the last 2-3 weeks has been the best in the comp hands down. Once we get it forward we just don't give it back.

It will have to hold up againts the Blues small forwards like Yarran, Garlett and Betts, also Walker and Waite can cause huge problams if they get good deliveries going forward. We will have to play Pop on one of either Garlett or Betts im thinking as he would be the only one to keep up with them apart from Cyril but we will need his pressure up forward..

It will have to hold up againts the Blues small forwards like Yarran, Garlett and Betts, also Walker and Waite can cause huge problams if they get good deliveries going forward. We will have to play Pop on one of either Garlett or Betts im thinking as he would be the only one to keep up with them apart from Cyril but we will need his pressure up forward..

Waite won't be playing. He's only just started running after a lengthy back injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back