Preview Round 16 – West Coast Eagles vs GWS Giants, Optus Stadium, Sunday 8th July 2018, 4.40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2012
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Thunder
How to grade the win against the Hawks? Overall, probably B+.

Leon thought the first half some of the best football we’ve played this season. The first quarter, maybe, but kicking 1.8 in the second didn’t exactly help the cause. It was the main reason we had 11 more scoring shots and won by only that margin.

The other thing was the way Hawthorn scored so easily. Our goals seemed to require much more effort, relying more on individual brilliance than precision passing and kicking in general play. Still, we were able to get on top when it mattered.

I thought as a club we responded very well to the situation with Jeremy. That kind of drama is a real test of collective maturity, and we haven’t let it become a distraction. A good sign.

Now for next week.

Listening to ABC Grandstand on the way home, Whitfield said that every game from now on was like a final. So it sounds like the team are getting themselves right mentally, which is good segue for the Eagles in Perth.

Early season front-runners, West Coast are now in a spot of bother. The Swans burst their bubble a few weeks ago, but it was the loss to Essendon at home that really would have sent shock waves into them. They’re coming off a third consecutive loss to the Crows and will almost certainly again be without their “twin towers”, Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy. They’ll be more nervous than they care to admit.

As for our own line up, we seem to be in a reasonably good place at the moment. I like the way Dawson Simpson is settling into the team. He allows us to send Lobb and Patton forward, which had the desired effect at critical moments last night. I think he’s good for our structure. And Himmelburg, who is usually excoriated on these threads, also had a good game and was one of our best-on-ground.

In other news, the NEAFL team had a strong win yesterday. Matt Buntine and Adam Kennedy were again among the best, so they might give us some flexibility down back or on the wing if needed. But with no fresh injuries:clapping:, and none of the big name outs available for at least another month, I don’t think there will be too many changes.

We weren’t that un-competitive against West Coast back in Round 8, and the trip across the Nullabor is never easy. But while it's going to be difficult, if we continue to show the same work ethic as the Adelaide and Hawthorn games, we will probably win.

Go Giants - or rather, keep going!

Time for Kenners

052323eb53ec462384782a1885394e23.gif

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I reckon that Leon won't be keen to change the team after a win. However, we didn't do everything right, and it's always worthwhile to look at team balance and what other options exist. With the NEAFL team doing well and winning 5 on the trot, there are in-form players putting pressure on the first team, and we should be looking at any 'horses-for-courses' changes that would improve our chances of winning in Perth.

How to grade the win against the Hawks? Overall, probably B+.

Leon thought the first half some of the best football we’ve played this season. The first quarter, maybe, but kicking 1.8 in the second didn’t exactly help the cause. It was the main reason we had 11 more scoring shots and won by only that margin.

The other thing was the way Hawthorn scored so easily. Our goals seemed to require much more effort, relying more on individual brilliance than precision passing and kicking in general play. Still, we were able to get on top when it mattered.

I thought as a club we responded very well to the situation with Jeremy. That kind of drama is a real test of collective maturity, and we haven’t let it become a distraction. A good sign.

Now for next week.

Listening to ABC Grandstand on the way home, Whitfield said that every game from now on was like a final. So it sounds like the team are getting themselves right mentally, which is good segue for the Eagles in Perth.

Early season front-runners, West Coast are now in a spot of bother. The Swans burst their bubble a few weeks ago, but it was the loss to Essendon at home that really would have sent shock waves into them. They’re coming off a third consecutive loss to the Crows and will almost certainly again be without their “twin towers”, Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy. They’ll be more nervous than they care to admit.

As for our own line up, we seem to be in a reasonably good place at the moment. I like the way Dawson Simpson is settling into the team. He allows us to send Lobb and Patton forward, which had the desired effect at critical moments last night. I think he’s good for our structure. And Himmelburg, who is usually excoriated on these threads, also had a good game and was one of our best-on-ground.

In other news, the NEAFL team had a strong win yesterday. Matt Buntine and Adam Kennedy were again among the best, so they might give us some flexibility down back or on the wing if needed. But with no fresh injuries:clapping:, and none of the big name outs available for at least another month, I don’t think there will be too many changes.

We weren’t that un-competitive against West Coast back in Round 8, and the trip across the Nullabor is never easy. But while it's going to be difficult, if we continue to show the same work ethic as the Adelaide and Hawthorn games, we will probably win.

Go Giants - or rather, keep going!
On the Hawks game... generally speaking it seemed to me that Hawthorn didn’t commit as many players to the real inside contest... more happy to have one or two just outside so they could shut down the handball release. Hence their tackle numbers were really high. They leave someone like Mitchell on the inside all day, along with one or two others... this is where his huge possession numbers are coming from.
When they do win an inside ball under this structure they have an extra player or two on the outside... which is where their easier goals came from.
This structure is also why we dominated the contested (by more than 50) and clearances.

So effectively you had one team winning more ball with dirty exits vs another team winning much less ball with cleaner exits.

West Coast this week will be interesting... not sure whether they’ll do the same thing as Clarkson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I alluded to this in the reserves thread but I felt Dawson was brutal on the weekend. Didn't win more than his share of the taps, and if he doesn't do that he's useless anywhere else - watching attempt to chase McEvoy was bad, and he seemed to more get in the way and congest our midfield movement than open it up like Mummy used to with his blocking and tackling. I'd be quite happy to see Flynn thrown in this week given NN is going to destroy Dawson if we go with him.

NN is going to destroy our Rucks regardless. I’d rather not throw Flynn to the wolves in that situation

From a team perspective, the worst that can happen is he's ineffective like Dawson will probably be.

At some point he will have to play against these blokes.

I dont see a problem with Flynn playing if he can make a contest in the ruck. My problem was I doubt if he could make it to September. Lobb back is seriously great to me, it'll take a while for him to build but I cant see we have a choice but to back him to stay fit. That means there's a gap until Lobb and probably Patton can ruck out games.
I hope Kenners comes back, I wonder if he plays wing primarily? He played there a bit in the past and it's a bit of weak spot right now. Kelly definitely improving us outside though.

Afl.com confirming Darling and Kennedy are not going to be fit. There is a question mark over Ryan as well seeing as he crashed his car this afternoon.

Easy to see how they are scoring so few points over the last three weeks

I think our midfield functions well with Dawson in there.

I thought Simpson played his best game for the club on Saturday night(outplayed McEvoy). The midfield look like they have found their groove dominating the stoppages the last couple of weeks and he is a big part of that. Our mids will do the rest of he can at least halve the ruck contest the mids will do the rest at ground level.

Quietly confident we can knock of the eagles this week

WCE are ripe for picking and their ground is similar in shape to the MCG (apparently) so I am looking forward to this. I expect the umpires to attempt to keep the eagles in it for as long as possible so making sure we take advantage of our opportunities will be very important. Try to limit how much say the umpires have by keeping the forward 50 entries clean.

WCE literally ran Adelaide back into form, that is how bad they are playing right now so I expect to win this game without much sweat.

We can't be wasteful in front of goal.

Win this and then some reinforcements start to come back.

If we can jag a couple of wins over the next few weeks we will come home with a wet sail. Build some confidence and then add the reinforcements on top of that and no one will want to play us.

A lot of talk about the eagles missing the big two but we are missing our top two forwards too...

If we can jag a couple of wins over the next few weeks we will come home with a wet sail. Build some confidence and then add the reinforcements on top of that and no one will want to play us.

A lot of talk about the eagles missing the big two but we are missing our top two forwards too...
Yep.

2 to 3 weeks and we have Kenners, Tobes and Lids back.
5 to 6 and we have Jezza, Scull and Possibly Williams.

Just need to get those wins and stay inside the 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back