Preview Round 2, GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday 1st April, 4.35pm, Spotless Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

The 10,000 GWS members who skipped that game made the right choice. What a low effort game.

Tackles: GWS 51 - Gold Coast 49
One percenters: GWS 28 - Gold Coast 38

League averages being 44 one percenters and 64 tackles per game. Both teams well below the average on those 'effort' measures.

Gold Coast were appalling, led by their former captain Ablett who didn't give a yelp.

GWS were a lot better, but against minimal opposition, and without addressing the lack of effort from round 1. Still, that's understandable I guess when you can win by 100 points anyway.

Still lots of time to turn it on, and the percentage boost will be helpful.

Hard to argue with, a pretty easy percentage boost - might even be the easiest game we play all year.

Best illustration of this is Shiel strolling up to the top of the 50, outer flank, unleashing a trademark long bomb at goal, but he had half an hour to line it up, no Suns players within coo-ee of him, I'd be surprised if he even reached 50% pace.

I'm just wondering if, at any stage yesterday, we got out of third gear?
Middle 10 mins in the 3rd after they started a comeback on the back of our extremely poor end to Q2, and maybe the first 10 minutes of the last?
20 minutes give or take out of 120 is poor prep for harder games.

Thought he had a solid game (better than against Crows) without being outstanding. Did some good work in traffic getting the ball, didn't always get it out to someone, but certainly showed glimpses of good skills. Will hold his place on that performance, and as long as he keeps an upward trajectory and learning from his experience each week we can be happy.
Just looked up his stats. Looking at total number of disposals, 15, doesn't seem that impressive. However, 10 were contested and he had 5 clearances to go with 4 tackles.

Very promising!
I enjoyed his pressure acts. Wouldnt give up on a tackle and chased everything. I like the kid

On HUAWEI NXT-L09 using BigFooty.com mobile app

From Titus O'Reily: https://titusoreily.com/afl/monday-knee-jerk-reaction-afl-round-two-1

Greater Western Sydney (160) v Gold Coast (58)

Who would have thought that the Karmichael Hunt era would be remembered as the golden age of the Suns?

Rodney Eade did a great job setting up Collingwood for their current run of success, and he’s taken his winning formula to the Gold Coast with even more devastating results.

I’ve argued since the Suns appointed him that Rodney Eade is never the answer to any question worth asking and this game just confirmed it.

The Suns are like a reality TV contestant: not well known, serving no real purpose and stuck on the Gold Coast.

Gary Ablett might as well be playing with a sign around him that says, ‘I’d rather be in Geelong’. I read this week that the Suns’ players are just playing for themselves, but I’m not sure they’re even doing that.

Greater Western Sydney just further highlighted what a disgrace the Suns are. People complain about all the help they got, but at least they didn’t waste it.

This week the Giants wanted to make a statement after last week’s insipid performance, but this was hard to do when they didn’t come up against any competition. Instead, they used this as a no-contact training session.

That was a training drill for the most part and it will be interesting to see how they perform v the Hawks as a significant improvement is required or media will be all over them with culture and Eade must go articles. Don't want it to happen but it will be a long year for the suns either way. Also not sure if someone was playing defensively on Ablett for some of the game or if it was a team effort?

Hard to judge the Giants performance with the opposition but Davis was tremendous and also if Ward played more time on the inside than last week and last year? Without Cogs and Hopper having his first game this season and the poor showing at the contest last week he was the player who could change the dynamic, and also allows Kelly to be more outside where he showed how damaging he can be.

Good to see Greene get amongst the goals but it is up to the players to back it up this week and not let inconsistency come in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back