Toast Round 2 Rising Star Nom: Ryan Burton GET AROUND HIM!

Remove this Banner Ad

So Hogan doesn't have a right hand?
Right got it!
Remember a time not long ago that you couldn't even rest a hand in a players back? Then there was the interpretation that said you could hold your ground but not extend your arms or is it now the Travis Cloke rule that you can just monster your opponent anyway you like when the ball is within 10m but that would mean that you only have .05 of a second to shove your opponent.
Nah this was just a pure gut feel decision by the umpire making a decision based on what he thought happened and not what he knows happened.

Remember a time not long ago that you couldn't even rest a hand in a players back? Then there was the interpretation that said you could hold your ground but not extend your arms
upload_2017-5-10_7-32-2.png

No hand in the back, no 'two separate motions', nothing to see here.

So Hogan doesn't have a right hand?
Right got it!
Remember a time not long ago that you couldn't even rest a hand in a players back? Then there was the interpretation that said you could hold your ground but not extend your arms or is it now the Travis Cloke rule that you can just monster your opponent anyway you like when the ball is within 10m but that would mean that you only have .05 of a second to shove your opponent.
Nah this was just a pure gut feel decision by the umpire making a decision based on what he thought happened and not what he knows happened.
Think it's the rule that where if you receive a little publicity and your talked up a bit, said player gets the benefit.

Hogan was just holding his ground; Burton happened to be on his ground at the time, so Hogan gently displaced him.
So where are we at now? Agreeing, disagreeing or agreeing to disagree.
(Hands in the air)

The only way Burton falls forward, if not actually pushed in the back, is if he deliberately fell. There is no way that he could have contrived to fall forward if there was force applied from the side. This suggests there was no push from the side, otherwise there would have been at least some sideways movement.

Either in the back for a free to Burton, or a dive by Burton.
You don't like my right hand on the back to guide him forward from the side push by the left theory?

Did JFK's assassination get this much attention?

Was definitely in the back by Hogan, but Roughy got away with one just as blatant earlier in the game that got us a goal as well, so whatever.

As for the Rising Star thing. He's not getting spoken about because the players that have been are more recent, and higher picks. Burton leads or is in the top few (as averages, relative to Rising Star eligibles) in a number of good stats. Some people might try and claim it's only because he's wracking up cheap stats across half back. But it's actually McGrath that leads in uncontested possessions per game and despite that still has more clangers per game than Burton.

He should be leading at the moment. Needs us to be more vocal on social media about it. Make the media aware.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roughy got away with one just as blatant
A three point win lets me agree with "so whatever", but for comparison:

upload_2017-5-10_14-9-15.png

upload_2017-5-10_14-9-40.png

Roughy uses his forearm, and doesn't drive into Frost so much as Frost backs into him.

Far easier to argue this was "holding his ground" than Hogan's effort.

Also, one of the times 'Hogan monstered Burton' it was actually Cam Pederson, for their first goal.

upload_2017-5-10_14-26-42.png

Ragdolled him like Burton is just a 20yo rookie. :)

Was definitely in the back by Hogan, but Roughy got away with one just as blatant earlier in the game that got us a goal as well, so whatever.

As for the Rising Star thing. He's not getting spoken about because the players that have been are more recent, and higher picks. Burton leads or is in the top few (as averages, relative to Rising Star eligibles) in a number of good stats. Some people might try and claim it's only because he's wracking up cheap stats across half back. But it's actually McGrath that leads in uncontested possessions per game and despite that still has more clangers per game than Burton.

He should be leading at the moment. Needs us to be more vocal on social media about it. Make the media aware.
And just like that HFC releases an article.
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/2017-05-10/burtons-break-out-season

did sam mitchell win the rising star in the number 5? what are odds of both winning the prize in succession!??!?!

did sam mitchell win the rising star in the number 5? what are odds of both winning the prize in succession!??!?!
Won it in 28
Started wearing 5 the following year

Burton still paying $23 for rising star. He's clearly equal best player in the field, if not, outright best. Very good odds given the only thing going against him is publicity, and if the Hawks win a few, that could change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The problem is publicity is usually the most important deciding factor when it comes to these type of awards.

Thing I noticed watching the game back was Burton's kick late in the first quarter. See below..

xWNylzu.png

Quality isn't great but that's got to be at least a 60m drop punt?

A three point win lets me agree with "so whatever", but for comparison:

View attachment 368737

View attachment 368738

Roughy uses his forearm, and doesn't drive into Frost so much as Frost backs into him.

Far easier to argue this was "holding his ground" than Hogan's effort.

Also, one of the times 'Hogan monstered Burton' it was actually Cam Pederson, for their first goal.

View attachment 368749

Ragdolled him like Burton is just a 20yo rookie. :)
Pictures are a bit too blurry. I just remember seeing it live at the game and then up on the screen and thinking "probably got a bit lucky there".

There was also another one in the 3rd where Roughy probably infringed by pushing a player out without eyes for the ball and we got a mark and goal.

Umpiring was quite bad both ways all game and I sincerely thought we copped more of the bad. But I'm sure Dees supporters think they were. Either way we were better for longer and won so no need for us to dwell on umpiring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back