Autopsy Round 21 vs Richmond - Metricon Sat 11th August

Remove this Banner Ad

Its not all doom & gloom bods

I'll never forget when GC entered the comp and richmond were on the bottom of the ladder with no decent players of note at the time apart from a very young deledio,cotchin,rance and then day light. Our draft pick started at like #15 and 2 picks in 50 it looked like we would be stuck on the bottom for ever with no hope in sight. You guys have atleast 10 - 15 quality kids already on the list and will get another 4 this year and if you get 1-2 top end free agents BINGO

Thanks for the encouragement I’d love to see some good signs even......now go away and enjoy a good evening with Mrs Gun in the Beautiful City.

Ho hum another big loss. Sunny and a few others are relieved that it "could have been worse". Such low expectations- so sad.

When are you guys going to wake up to the fact that $tuart Dew is an absolute FLOG?? A mistake of epic proportions!

1. His record so far is abysmal. At least Rocket ended 2017 with six wins and a MUCH BETTER percentage. He also has cred in the AFLcommunity and media.

2. His spite/ vindictiveness against Barlow knows no bounds. He's now found a way to even stop him even playing NEAFL. Mick is named as an "emergency" - but everyone knows he hasn't a hope in hell of actually PLAYING .HAHa!

3. He's fat. Embarrassing for a coach of an Afl club.

Whilst I have reservations at how GC is run at a board level, the coach isn’t the problem

I’d like to see how the Suns went this year if they didn’t have to play - what was it - 9 to 12 weeks away at the start?

Whilst I have reservations at how GC is run at a board level, the coach isn’t the problem

I’d like to see how the Suns went this year if they didn’t have to play - what was it - 9 to 12 weeks away at the start?
Didn't have access to our home ground from preseason until the bye at Round 10.

I didn’t post it in here but this morning I was thinking that I’d be ok with a 60 Point loss today
So given we lost two players the 74 Point loss isn’t too bad but like SandyToes with his kids it makes it impossible to build enthusiasm and grow the fan base and membership in this swamp that we are in with our team.
Maybe the trade and draft period might do enough to sell some memberships.
Gil McLachlan who I think sees himself as a Celebrity needs to grow a pair and make some decisions that might upset his VFL clientele down there.

I don't mind people being positive , but living in denial just not acceptable , even SandyToes kids knew a bit more footy than some of us here . Richmond hardly step up a gear and as always they are toying with GC like a training drill .

Not sure what some people expected. Suns started season with 9 away games and got youngest list badly exposed by injuries again. So now we got something like 25 players to choose from.

About the game. Richmond in prime, close to best 22, well oiled machine. Richmond 2 years older than us. Players 100+ games Richmond 15 Suns 5. Players less than 50 games Richmond 5 Suns 10.

Richmond killed us on spread, second, third effort, polish, confidence. We actually did well in clearances. Losing Brodie and later Hanley did not help. Both were better players. Effort, contest was there. As usual some terrible turnovers, errors under pressure or even no pressure.

Positives.
Young players. This was 3rd game back for Bowes and Fiorini and both were great.

Negative.
For me personally, it was May. Yes, he was poor but main issue for me is his body language. Mentally not happy, frustrated, angry with players. I don't see him staying.

Future.
It looks to me a new high performance team is due.

Another preseason and young players like Bowes, Fiorini, Brodie, Ainsworth, Ballard,... should be fun to watch.

Some great talent is coming in.

New assistant coaches are coming in.

The curse should be over next year. For sure we can't have so many injuries again.

We can't be stupid to play in China again.

We will probably be the youngest list next year again but one year under Dew already should help with learning plan, structures. Maybe we can add to our plan a bit more besides long bombs :)

Liked Bowes and Fiorini’s efforts.

The concern for me going forward is that looking at who is actually out and will likely be here next year, who of those are actually going to make us a better team next year? Martin, Ballard, Wright and Thompson were the only definites I could see. Day, McPherson, Lemmens, Lonergan etc. meh... Just can’t see us improving much next year either with this list, without a lot of improvement from these kids, a mega-huge preseason and some very savvy recruiting. Would be surprised if we climb out of the bottom four next year.

We are cooked.. players fatigue easy before half time! I just watch the end of the giants game and they don’t stop running whether they’re near the ball or not they run to make or get to a contest if our players aren’t near the ball they’re mostly walking and id say it has to do with the continuous poor skill errors

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are cooked.. players fatigue easy before half time! I just watch the end of the giants game and they don’t stop running whether they’re near the ball or not they run to make or get to a contest if our players aren’t near the ball they’re mostly walking and id say it has to do with the continuous poor skill errors

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Did Dew actually put effort into training Players skills, I knew that effort are there in the first half , but keep turning over and not converting hard earned opportunity into goal will cause players fatigue in the third quarter.

Did Dew actually put effort into training Players skills, I knew that effort are there in the first half , but keep turning over and not converting hard earned opportunity into goal will cause players fatigue in the third quarter.
It's probably hard to see but these things take time. Coaches want to coach a certain way but they may not have the cattle to do it just yet. If they acknowledge that and work on getting the little instinctual things right, the good outcomes will start to flow.

Hard year for you guys but best of luck for the rest of it.

Didn’t see the game but listened to most on the radio and had a look at the stats.

Seems like fiorini and Bowes were our best.
6 intercept marks for jack last week I think and must have been 3-4 yesterday as welll by the sounds? Maybe he’s becoming our nick vlaustin - very handy type to have.

Also Brayden checked Cotchin? 29 vs. 12 possessions. Fantastic for the young guy. At least we had 1 definitive winner for the day.

Crossley sounded like he was heavily involved but just failed to capitalise on his good work. Would have loved to see goober kick a couple.

Also witts sounded like he had the measure of soldo.

Anyone else I should look out for when get the chance to watch replay guys?

I didn’t post it in here but this morning I was thinking that I’d be ok with a 60 Point loss today

So given we lost two players the 74 Point loss isn’t too bad but like SandyToes with his kids it makes it impossible to build enthusiasm and grow the fan base and membership in this swamp that we are in with our team.
Maybe the trade and draft period might do enough to sell some memberships.
Gil McLachlan who I think sees himself as a Celebrity needs to grow a pair and make some decisions that might upset his VFL clientele down there.

Pretty poor when we all seem OK with a 70+ defeat on home ground. Same old offenders or kids who just aren't up to it yet (or may never be). Powell must go back to NEAFL, Joyce is a major question mark, Ah Chee should be traded. I reckon there's at least 10 that will not see the distance.....but most of all I agree with Bods - the AFL has to address the inequality in the competition.

Richmond have played 4 away games!...and have the MCG as home ground.

There are 9 non Melbourne teams (incl Geelong):

If EVERY Melbourne based club HAD to play each of the 9 interstate teams AWAY and two others on their non Melbourne grounds (Hawthorn etc) you'd have a much more even competition.

We'd all play 11 or so at home and 11 genuine away games.

Then use Etihad as the home ground for local clubs with MCG as the venue when interstate teams are in town, the blockbuster games and venue finals.

Seems to then be a level playing field....but guess I'm dreaming.

Mickey B might even have to get a game this week given the injury list. Two more to go with at least one more pasting to endure.

Any info from post game function? Anybody?
Not a whole lot aside from fluff really. Evan's addressed the Lynch scenario. Apparently Lynch had told select hierarchy he would be exploring his options before flying down. Buckley admitting it publicly forced the clubs hand. Only internal dispute was Lynch's role with the team going forward. Seems it was true he thought it was fine for him to continue as captain but got slapped down.

Players fairly relaxed and after a brief chat with Rischa I got the solid impression he will get a 1 year deal for next season.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's probably hard to see but these things take time. Coaches want to coach a certain way but they may not have the cattle to do it just yet. If they acknowledge that and work on getting the little instinctual things right, the good outcomes will start to flow.

Hard year for you guys but best of luck for the rest of it.
I think both the coaches and majority of supporters have acknowledged this. We are continually being told how hard the group are working collectively, and are needing patience until the wheels start to turn. It is going to be a slow grind because right now, our cattle are nowhere near ready for muster. Probably need at least another 2-3 seasons in the paddock to fatten up.

FA7F2430-8C2E-4992-93FA-B6EFD1576413.png
Not a whole lot aside from fluff really. Evan's addressed the Lynch scenario. Apparently Lynch had told select hierarchy he would be exploring his options before flying down. Buckley admitting it publicly forced the clubs hand. Only internal dispute was Lynch's role with the team going forward. Seems it was true he thought it was fine for him to continue as captain but got slapped down.

Players fairly relaxed and after a brief chat with Rischa I got the solid impression he will get a 1 year deal for next season.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’ve always loved Rischa as a player, he’s been an absolute warrior for our club, but another year is one year too many. Retire now Michael while the rest of the football world doesn’t know how cooked your battered old body is.

Didn’t see the game but listened to most on the radio and had a look at the stats.

Seems like fiorini and Bowes were our best.
6 intercept marks for jack last week I think and must have been 3-4 yesterday as welll by the sounds? Maybe he’s becoming our nick vlaustin - very handy type to have.

Also Brayden checked Cotchin? 29 vs. 12 possessions. Fantastic for the young guy. At least we had 1 definitive winner for the day.

Crossley sounded like he was heavily involved but just failed to capitalise on his good work. Would have loved to see goober kick a couple.

Also witts sounded like he had the measure of soldo.

Anyone else I should look out for when get the chance to watch replay guys?
Agree Fiorini played a great game but you can't say he was a winner for tagging Cotchin.
Cotchin only played 53% of the game, the rest of the time he was on the bench watching - clearly only up here for a day in the sunshine.
If you look thru Richmonds list you'll find many that were well down on usual game time - they took opportunity to rest players given the ease of the contest.

I think both the coaches and majority of supporters have acknowledged this. We are continually being told how hard the group are working collectively, and are needing patience until the wheels start to turn. It is going to be a slow grind because right now, our cattle are nowhere near ready for muster. Probably need at least another 2-3 seasons in the paddock to fatten up.
Apologies if you've heard it all before. Especially coming from someone supporting the team you played against yesterday.

It can be a really hard thing to do, supporting a football team. I've always lived in Perth but support Richmond (childhood friend was from Melbourne). The arrogance of West Coast supporters and their continued success while my team tried and failed over and over again really sucked. Decades of support finally paid off.

The weirdest part of coming through the other side of last year was my attitude changed to just enjoying every game as it comes. Unless you do win the Premiership that year then you haven't been successful, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy the steps along the way. I honestly wish I thought this way before last year because it's a much more palatable way to enjoy football. It's just a game.

You guys finally have some serious development invested into your team instead of your botched up implementation. Give it time, you'll be right, and at the end of it I fully support your right to be arrogant arseholes to all and sundry because you've deserved it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back