Autopsy Round 22, 2022: Richmond roast Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Watched the game on delay from Djorbrovnik.
Disappointing but not unexpected.
No more TOM, JOM.
We need to rebuild our midfield, we knew it before and it has been reinforced.
Similarly we know the story with our forwards, in particular our key forwards.
I know I am a broken record, but it is going to take 3-5 years of solid drafting, FA and ultimately trading before we can challenge again.

Right selection, right development. Hard work and some luck.

No more TOM, JOM.
I know I am a broken record, but it is going to take 3-5 years of solid drafting, FA and ultimately trading before we can challenge again.

Agree with your assessment on Mitchell & O’Meara but only if we get there market value. (No freebies like in previous years. We gave Mitchell, Lewis & Hodge away for virtually nothing.) I would add Wingard to the list. Unfortunately some of the questionable recruiting decisions made during the last third of the Clarkson era are still impacting us.

Last edited:
No more TOM, JOM.

Not 3-5 years I'd say 2-3 if we get it right. Finals should be a realistic aim by 2024 IMO. Just need a few key pieces in place for us to go that next level after that. 1 more key forward to support Lewis is a necessity.

Anyone but cats or swans for me

Swans have become the Babyfaces (wrestling term for 'good guys' for anyone unaware) in my eyes.

It's enjoyable watching Warner, Mills and Blakey in particular.

I'm hoping like crazy we get a Grand Final without the Geelong stench attached to it. Would happily take Melbourne vs Sydney if the Dees can get their game together.

No more TOM, JOM.

in 5 years our youngsters will be old

ridiculous time frame

we've already being rebuilding for 3 seasons getting games into young players

ridiculous time frame

Get used to the ride. In 5 yrs time our current youngsters will be hitting their prime. 24-28 yrs.
Hopefully we will have another batch of young talent coming thru younger again. Keep topping up with FA and trades. IT NEVER STOPS.

Last edited:
it is going to take 3-5 years of solid drafting, FA and ultimately trading before we can challenge again.
The Big Lebowski Dude GIF

Mitchell is an inside mid nothing else play him there or let him go. When he plays to his strengths or observes his limitations he is a solid contributor. Anytime he kicks pie floaters round the corner he should be fined. The most frustrating thing about today is the side that won 2* premierships recently for the second year in a row have a better draft hand than us. Going to be a long ride…

Mitchell is an inside mid nothing else play him there or let him go. When he plays to his strengths or observes his limitations he is a solid contributor. Anytime he kicks pie floaters round the corner he should be fined. The most frustrating thing about today is the side that won 2* premierships recently for the second year in a row have a better draft hand than us. Going to be a long ride…
What are you talking about? Which premiership side has a better draft hand than us this year and last?

Jeka looked great.

DGB clearly needs to put on 10kg but I liked his fighting attitude tbh. He got a bath but didn't take it lying down.

Sicily is the next official captain but has been the spiritual captain for a while let's be honest.

IMO it's definitely time to move on the likes of (1) Shiel, Gunston, maybe Breust too. Also don't think much of JOM, Mitchell etc it's kinda pathetic how Newcombe is showing them up but they're supposed to be the stars.

Otherwise it was just a dead rubber for Hawks and for the Tigers it was a chance to cement the finals spot. And that's how it played out!

Sheesh what a disgusting thing to say. Basically go king hit a bloke because he's playing good footy? (2) Attitudes like this definitely belong in the 80's mate.
(1) How do you think Essendon would feel about that?
(2) Where we played in 7 grand finals in succession.

What are you talking about? Which premiership side has a better draft hand than us this year and last?

He’s talking about Richmond. They have North’s second round pick so essentially have 3 picks in the first 30 much like last year when they had an impressive draft hand considering their ladder finish.

Based on first and second rounds
Last year Richmond had 9,17,26,27,28 to our 7,23,26.
This year Richmond have 11,19,29 to our 6,24
The question comes back to you, what are you talking about? Could you not have deduced it from the fact that this is the thread of hawks v Richmond perhaps?

So a week ago we were looking on track and heading in right direction and now, after playing a game where we experimented, were very undermanned and played a team desperate to make finals - and all of the sudden the sky is falling.
Never change Big Footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get used to the ride. In 5 yrs time our current youngsters will be hitting their prime. 24-28 yrs.
Hopefully we will have another batch of young talent coming thru younger again. Keep topping up with FA and trades. IT NEVER STOPS.
no one is getting used to another 5 years down the bottom when we ve already been there for 3

sounds like Carlton and there 5 year plan that has become 28 and counting

work on free agents from now to bring in 2024 and 2025 and hit the next 2 drafts

2 more years should be more than enough

To make finals? Sure. To seriously contend for a premiership? I’d suggest tempering your expectations unless you want to be really miserable.

Heard through a mate at the club that the boys had checked out for the season

Seems she was pretty much spot on the money

Add to that we play a team, fighting for a finals spot, meant it was always going to be a tough day

PLUS the fact they pretty much played the perfect football game today and we struggled big time

You learn more from days like today than from almost every other situation
Doubt this is the case

Jeka looked great.

DGB clearly needs to put on 10kg but I liked his fighting attitude tbh. He got a bath but didn't take it lying down.

Sicily is the next official captain but has been the spiritual captain for a while let's be honest.

IMO it's definitely time to move on the likes of Shiel, Gunston, maybe Breust too. Also don't think much of JOM, Mitchell etc it's kinda pathetic how Newcombe is showing them up but they're supposed to be the stars.

Otherwise it was just a dead rubber for Hawks and for the Tigers it was a chance to cement the finals spot. And that's how it played out!

Sheesh what a disgusting thing to say. Basically go king hit a bloke because he's playing good footy? Attitudes like this definitely belong in the 80's mate.
Move on Breust and Gunston? Who have kicked 70 goals between them this year. Righto mate.

To make finals? Sure. To seriously contend for a premiership? I’d suggest tempering your expectations unless you want to be really miserable.
we should be looking at making finals 2024 onwards ....and looking at winning flags in the late 2020's

expectations .....Geelong haven't missed for 17 years and will likely win the flag this year

I suggest we start not accepting shitness as we are Hawthorn ...start behaving like Hawthorn

The club needs to make some list decisions and act this OFF season ....last year there was lots of talk and no action

no one is getting used to another 5 years down the bottom when we ve already been there for 3

sounds like Carlton and there 5 year plan that has become 28 and counting

work on free agents from now to bring in 2024 and 2025 and hit the next 2 drafts

Agree. Keep the picks and target FAs and salary dumps. It's that simple.

Last year we drew with the Tigers, this year a thrashing. Feels like we went backwards, but we didn’t - great seeing a few come along and happy to keep supporting through Sammy’s long campaign.

Last year we drew with the Tigers, this year a thrashing. Feels like we went backwards, but we didn’t - great seeing a few come along and happy to keep supporting through Sammy’s long campaign.
We were 5 goals up with 5 mins to go in that game. Should've won.

ridiculous time frame

I tend to look at us in year one of a rebuild.

I think we've had six players debut under Sam this year? Finn has played regularly too, Nash around the middle. Morris was given a block and looked best 22 before injury. Reeves has become our no 1 ruck when fit.

Top of my head, I can only think of Day and Brockman that were given regular games under Clarko early on the past two years.

It's been a great start to the rebuild, but there's plenty of work ahead. We're trying to fast track years of poor decision making and neglecting the draft.

A rebuild is rarely linear, so no guarantees we improve win-loss next year, but we're on the right track in developing talent and getting games into our young talent as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back