Woke up this morning from the strangest dream
I was in the biggest army the world has ever seen
We were marching as one
On the road to the holy grail
Started out seeking fortune and glory
Its a short song but a hell of a story
When you spend lifetime trying to get your hands
On the holy Robbie Gray(l)

I've been going to Alberton since the early 70's, last night would be in the top 5 of my game day experiences. Being able to put the disappointment of no finals to one side, watching Robbie have the fairy tale of a home game packed stadium send off will stay with me forever. I love that so many crom got to witness how a real club sends off a club legend.
And their own supporters promptly leave early.
Bliss 😃👍😎

It is difficult to put this win in its true context. There is a danger of letting it wallpaper over the cracks.

We have 12 losses to pick apart, 10 wins to review quickly. Anyone who thought Finlayson in ruck worked tonight because we won, needs their head read. Finlayson as 1R has worked in certain games- last week being an example. In my opinion, this is a “horses for courses” option in 2023 and careful analysis needs to be undertaken to determine when to deploy it.

The game was eventually won in the midfield with Rozee, Wines, Boak and Butters combining beautifully- eventually that class was way too much for a very ordinary Cows midfield. Charlie competed and Marshall worked best when he steered clear of Charlie. Todd will never be a 10 contested marks forward but he will be difficult to handle if he can continue to find the space he has in the last fortnight. Dixon is no longer our main man but his sheer size and strength means he has a role for a few seasons yet as the bail out target and Todd’s decoy. I also thought he was excellent as 2R- a role he has to play when Finlayson is 1R. People calling for him to retire are misunderstanding his true role in the team.

Floggarty exposed our lack of defensive options and their talls took way too many marks around the ground. A ready made tall back is vital if we are to take on the big boys of the comp.

Last night proved to me that we will be at least flat track bullies next year. We have got the ordinary teams covered and will destroy many of them in 2023. But last night did nothing to help us bridge the gap with the top 4.

It was great to back up the trash talk and we established a real psychological advantage over the Cows. It was a great example of our match day experience and how to salute a club great. McLeod etc would have seen that and wept. The psychological edge should mean two wins next year in the bank.

But there is a lot of work to do to be top 4 again.

It is difficult to put this win in its true context. There is a danger of letting it wallpaper over the cracks.

We have 12 losses to pick apart, 10 wins to review quickly. Anyone who thought Finlayson in ruck worked tonight because we won, needs their head read. Finlayson as 1R has worked in certain games- last week being an example. In my opinion, this is a “horses for courses” option in 2023 and careful analysis needs to be undertaken to determine when to deploy it.

The game was eventually won in the midfield with Rozee, Wines, Boak and Butters combining beautifully- eventually that class was way too much for a very ordinary Cows midfield. Charlie competed and Marshall worked best when he steered clear of Charlie. Todd will never be a 10 contested marks forward but he will be difficult to handle if he can continue to find the space he has in the last fortnight. Dixon is no longer our main man but his sheer size and strength means he has a role for a few seasons yet as the bail out target and Todd’s decoy. I also thought he was excellent as 2R- a role he has to play when Finlayson is 1R. People calling for him to retire are misunderstanding his true role in the team.

Floggarty exposed our lack of defensive options and their talls took way too many marks around the ground. A ready made tall back is vital if we are to take on the big boys of the comp.

Last night proved to me that we will be at least flat track bullies next year. We have got the ordinary teams covered and will destroy many of them in 2023. But last night did nothing to help us bridge the gap with the top 4.

It was great to back up the trash talk and we established a real psychological advantage over the Cows. It was a great example of our match day experience and how to salute a club great. McLeod etc would have seen that and wept. The psychological edge should mean two wins next year in the bank.

But there is a lot of work to do to be top 4 again.
Indeed. From where will this come I wonder.

Fair play to McEntee. He has pulled his weight the last two weeks.
Yeah I agree. I don't know if he was tagging Dawson in the first quarter - when he got it 10 times, but I picked up midway thru the 2nd he was basically tagging Dawson for the rest of the night. After I saw he was tagging Dawson he kicked a goal in the 2nd quarter directly against Dawson and another in the 3rd. He actually was really positive in his play rather than in the past games, where he handballs to someone else because he didn't want to take the responsibility to shoot on goal.

Last edited:
This half time result is good for the Blue's.19 points down and they have been terrible.They have a pulse.

Ned McHenry as a 1st round draft pick who is a consistent spud, averaging 12 disposals and 0.5 goals in his career to date.

Yes, him being a pest must add to much to their culture. He can’t add anything to their club as a footballer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about we wait and see how Farrell goes against some non-s**t teams before we consider his move a resounding success? Against anybody half decent he's looked very defensively suspect, I'm not declaring Ken a superhero just yet based on Farrell beating up on James Rowe in a 10 goal win.

How about we wait and see how Farrell goes against some non-s**t teams before we consider his move a resounding success? Against anybody half decent he's looked very defensively suspect, I'm not declaring Ken a superhero just yet based on Farrell beating up on James Rowe in a 10 goal win.
Fair call, but Ken has barely changed a thing this year. After 2 years of lost preliminary, it was the same old.

Depends what kind of supporter you want to be.

Give praise when a developing player shows promising signs? Or

Hang s**t on a player until it’s undeniable that he’s made it.

Farrell has been great at HBF .. having Houston on the other HBF and Burton in the back pocket is Great ..

having Burgoyne in the other small defensive position completes the 4 great weapons the defence has ..

no wonder DBJ has been tried forward the last 2 weeks ..

i wonder if it is time to trade DBJ

Or have in as a depth small defender with the Magpies

Totally agree. Those 4 smaller defenders are all immaculate users of the footy! Bonner also a decent user off half back.

DBJ should be nowhere near our best 22 at the moment. Would struggle to beat a traffic cone in a 1v1 and can't kick to save himself. Couldn't tell you another player I've had less time for than him. 100% trade for whatever we can get!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back