Preview Round 23- Lions v Tigers. Sunday 25th August 2019 3.20pm MCG.

Who wins and by how much?

• Lions by 1 to 9.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Lions by 10 to 29.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • Lions by 30 to 49.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Lions by 50+

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Tigers by 1 to 9.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Tigers by 10 to 29.

Votes: 46 31.3%
  • Tigers by 30 to 49.

Votes: 19 12.9%
  • Tigers by 50+

Votes: 5 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well actually you can have a role in a game pretty much to not touch the ball. Go back to the first game of the year where Hipwood's role was to run Jeremy McGovern out of the incoming ball path to limit his intercept marking. But yes, it would seems a funny role to have every game against all opposition.

My pick to replace Bundy was initially Keays and i still think it will be him, he brings the pressure and may hit the score board. a very good team player. After yesterday's reserve's game I've some sneaky support Matho could also fill in, hard at it and has been hitting the score board when in the forward half. If its about speed, pressure and a bit of X-factor like Bundy has then the outside roughy would be Cox. It will be a big step and anyone going from NEAFL to this game, dare I say the pressure at the MCG against the Tigers will be 4 or 5 times the NEAFL. Keays did well filling in against Port Adelaide which was a pressure game at least going into it so I'll stick with him.

Was worried about the hot weather for our game, but I'm now relieved after seeing Tigers slugging out in wet weather, high pressure game. I think we will go in with similar fitness levels. I have a funny feeling we'll be up for this one - especially since there is a long losing streak and our players have been knocking them over one after the other. 10-0 coming up in my view.

Strangely all of our really close come from behind wins have been at home and most of our comfortable wins away since the winning streak started so I feel less nervous about this one. Richmond at MCG is at tough as it gets though but their game style is similar to ours so it won’t be the ugly Geelong style along the boundary slog fest.

Well actually you can have a role in a game pretty much to not touch the ball. Go back to the first game of the year where Hipwood's role was to run Jeremy McGovern out of the incoming ball path to limit his intercept marking. But yes, it would seems a funny role to have every game against all opposition.
My LOL for the BRAB post was a LOL of admiration at his ability to identify the irony of people who want to make a virtue out of not touching the ball and not holding marks.

In the 2002 Grand Final “Neon Leon” had 3 tackles and had ZERO disposals in a game where he played his role and was outstanding! His “pressure acts” included things like, running into open space to block an opponent passing the ball, touching opponents prior them disposing of the ball, chasing an opponent so they are compelled to pass the ball off and running to stand on the mark screaming “fuzzy wuzzie” so a player can’t play on. Neon Leon’s direct opponent had 20 disposals, 4 tackles and kicked 2 goals, but Neon Leon towelled him up with his pressures acts nearly winning the game for Collingwood. If only Collingwood had more players like Neon Leon who didn’t touch the ball, they might have won the Premiership.

There are too many people today who think getting the ball, passing it to advantage, keeping it away from your opponents and kicking a higher score than them is everything in football. They just don’t understand the modern game!

Strangely all of our really close come from behind wins have been at home and most of our comfortable wins away since the winning streak started so I feel less nervous about this one. Richmond at MCG is at tough as it gets though but their game style is similar to ours so it won’t be the ugly Geelong style along the boundary slog fest.

Yep we seem to be "more ready" for away games these days which is a good sign.

We'll go long kick conservative boundary style play and expect our Big O and McStay to stick those relief marks. Richmond will be handball happy and try to shred us through the corridor. Will be an interesting clash of playing styles again.

Yep we seem to be "more ready" for away games these days which is a good sign.

We'll go long kick conservative boundary style play and expect our Big O and McStay to stick those relief marks. Richmond will be handball happy and try to shred us through the corridor. Will be an interesting clash of playing styles again.
Lions to win this one by 34 points. Key to beating Richmond is to not turn the ball over “shallow” in your Half Forward line, because Richmond will rebound, surge and score and we will lose. Maintaining possession and “going deep” into attack is the key. Forcing them to play static football has to be our goal.

We're going to need a lot more out of O this week. Hope he can deliver.

If he can bring the ball to ground so our smalls can go to work like Kennedy/Darling did in first quarter, that'll set us up by a long way.

If he can bring the ball to ground so our smalls can go to work like Kennedy/Darling did in first quarter, that'll set us up by a long way.

Definitely. It was disappointing seeing him outmarked and out of position so many times on the weekend. He'll be better for the game no doubt.

They looked ordinary in the wet yesterday when they're fast handball game was taken away from them. It's interesting that West Coast didn't score a goal for half the game and they only lost by 6 points. They looked mortal and beatable under pressure. If we play with a similar level of pressure and intensity that we did against GWS we can win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond’s ‘helter skelter’ is definitely going to be interesting. We obviously play a different type and slow it down so it will be a clash of game styles. Our back six and their ability to intercept the ball will be key as well as beating them at the coal face. I’m not concerned with our forwards (bar the KPF’s) as we can hit the scoreboard. I don’t think we’ll get blown out of the water. Recovery will be key and our mindset, hopefully the Tigers go in a bit easy and we can start well which will be key.

Keays would be the obvious one but they might opt for Lewy just for his extra speed on the G. Matho is not a likely replacement for Christo and they have probably drawn a line thru Basti.

McInerny did a few clever things yesterday which probably went unnoticed . He didn't take the grabs we're used to but could be suited to the MCG , like a lot of beanpoles over the last 40 years.

Cam could've actually kicked 2 in the first quarter , went for an impossible spec that just spilled out and took one that wasn't paid,both in the goal square , so maybe could've been a hero early.

McStay was down but his clean grab and handball out in the dying seconds was critical. Perfect time not to fumble.

We really need to quell Martin somehow . He was just incredible yesterday , unlike Dangerfield so much he just kills you with his disposal.

1. Lions 64 + 337 ( Round 23 v Tigers)
2. Cats 60 + 454 (v Blues)
3. Eagles 60 + 249 (v Hawks)
4. Tigers 60 + 201 (v Lions)

Even if we lose to the Tigers, realistically the lowest we can finish is 3rd, as the Tigers won't win by 137 points. And if even we lose to the Tigers, we will still finish 2nd unless the Eagles win (likely) and make up an 88 point differential to oust us on percentage (unlikely, but not impossible). Good thing is that the Eagles play before us this weekend. So we'll go into Sunday's game knowing what we have to do to clinch a top 2 spot.

Richmond’s ‘helter skelter’ is definitely going to be interesting. We obviously play a different type and slow it down so it will be a clash of game styles. Our back six and their ability to intercept the ball will be key as well as beating them at the coal face. I’m not concerned with our forwards (bar the KPF’s) as we can hit the scoreboard. I don’t think we’ll get blown out of the water. Recovery will be key and our mindset, hopefully the Tigers go in a bit easy and we can start well which will be key.

I think we have multiple game styles and definitely have a skelter plan - think Robbo bombs forward and players streaming forward. And the last five minutes of Saturday.

Saturday was a shut down defensive style for most of the game which is to be expected in what was essentially the first finals appearance and the first game against a formidable team. But the last seven minutes will teach our players that they can be confident in playing an attacking game against the best. I expect us to play more minutes of our attacking style against Richmond.

Perfect dress rehearsal for finals.

Reckon tigers will be too strong this time but will prove a great learning experience for finals.
Saw that BRAB has been given a day off. It was for this post I presume, if so, a very good call was made. Reckoning the Tigers will be too strong! How could you? That's inflammatory & unacceptable. Tongue firmly planted in cheek hehe.

There are two types of possessions -

One where the clock is running waiting for a kick such as a shot on goal, after a mark or free.
The other is the ingame get ball, rid of ball.

Looking at this second type of possession and working on 30 of these possessions per game and saying the average in game possession is a generous five seconds the total time with ball in hand is 2.5 minutes out of the 80 minutes of actual game time. So clearly what you do in the other 77.5minutes is extremely important, and rarely visible on telecasts. Even at the game it's difficult to observe all that's going on and that's why there is a whole team of people watching and collating stats and a team of coaches feeding back to the players during a game.

I have absolutely no doubt that players can have a game with very few or even no possessions but still impact and shape the game and be lynch pins in wins. And I trust the coaches to know who is contributing in this way and to pick the best team. Clearly the coaches deem that Cam falls into this categor.

There are two types of possessions -

One where the clock is running waiting for a kick such as a shot on goal, after a mark or free.
The other is the ingame get ball, rid of ball.

Looking at this second type of possession and working on 30 of these possessions per game and saying the average in game possession is a generous five seconds the total time with ball in hand is 2.5 minutes out of the 80 minutes of actual game time. So clearly what you do in the other 77.5minutes is extremely important, and rarely visible on telecasts. Even at the game it's difficult to observe all that's going on and that's why there is a whole team of people watching and collating stats and a team of coaches feeding back to the players during a game.

I have absolutely no doubt that players can have a game with very few or even no possessions but still impact and shape the game and be lynch pins in wins. And I trust the coaches to know who is contributing in this way and to pick the best team. Clearly the coaches deem that Cam falls into this categor.
I think you'll find that generally Gadzorks the best players who are able to win the ball and dispose of it well also do the most important things when they haven't got the ball . Who are our best tacklers ,smotherers ,tap onners ?? Probably Robinson , Andrews , Lyons, Neale ,Cameron , McCluggage , Zorko etc.

To say someone who has no possessions could be a lynch pin for a win is a big stretch.

Irrefutable evidence that we're going to beat Richmond.

View attachment 729878

Umm, a ferry with the club logo is some sort of secret weapon?!

I know!

We will put wheels on one and use it as a battering ram and be the first team in the league to utilise available technologies in new and innovative ways. Charlie will be standing on the front ready to kick the ball 70 mts into the air to ensure that <insert tiger defender's name who isn't Alex Rance> has no chance of getting hands to it. And Cam can push it since according to some on here he doesn't do enough to justify still being in the team.

That's correct isn't it?

Blink once for "Yes".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back