Preview Round 3, 2019: Hawthorn v North Melbourne, 7 April 3:20pm AEDT @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The addition of Wingard makes us so much more dynamic in the forward half.

Win lose or draw it's exciting to see him, Scully, Omeara all out there together.

I'm the same. Almost satisfied just seeing the "new breed" of hawks find their feet in this team.

If we add Cogs, with Mitchell to this midfield, we could be anything next year.

Worpel and Cousins getting valuable experience while we wait. We're re-tooling on the run here.

I'm the same. Almost satisfied just seeing the "new breed" of hawks find their feet in this team.

If we add Cogs, with Mitchell to this midfield, we could be anything next year.

Worpel and Cousins getting valuable experience while we wait. We're re-tooling on the run here.

O'Meara and Worps are going head to head with the best of them. If they continue on this trajectory - and we add a fully fit Mitchell and Cogs - our midfield becomes the best two-way midfield in the game. Mitchell/O'Meara/Coniglio/Worpel/Sheils with Scully/Smith/Hendo :eek:

Two changes I was expecting!

One thing I notice thou if you look at the bench it is two guys that can only play in defence mirra,scrimshaw and a ruckmen i am surprised there wasn't more changes especially a few more mids.

I'm with the previous post I expect to see impey played in the middle perhaps breust, I wouldn't mind seeing moore brought in and breust asked to play more midfield if he is reluctant to bring in the younger mids.
Breust has been playing up the ground a lot more and his work rate has been good but his disposal and decision making hasn’t been up to scratch! Leave him inside 50 imo, that’s where he is elite, everywhere else on the ground he seems lost.

Can someone please explain why Nash is:
1. getting a game
2. not being played down back where he can learn to play (most Irish recruits start down back)
He was totally ineffectual last week and im not sure what his role is
Rates number 1 for goal assists (in the entire league this year), and had a pretty good round 1 with 5 tackles. He wasn't great last week, but his role is to be a defensive forward who assists with goals, and he's probably just doing enough. He's very highly rated down at the club so they're not going to drop him after one stinker.

ROUND 3 TEAM
Hawthorn v North Melbourne
MCG
Sunday 7th April, 3.20pm AEST

B: Blake Hardwick, James Frawley, Jarman Impey
HB: Harry Morrison, James Sicily, Ben Stratton
C: Isaac Smith, James Cousins, Ricky Henderson
HF: Jarryd Roughead, Conor Nash, Chad Wingard
F: Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Paul Puopolo
R: Ben McEvoy, James Worpel, Jaeger O’Meara
INT: Jack Scrimshaw, David Mirra, Tom Scully, Jonathon Ceglar

In: Wingard, Mirra
Out: Shaun Burgoyne (hamstring), Liam Shiels (hamstring)

Good to see Mirra back in as reckon he was stiff to get dropped last week as a good footy brain and stability down back. Would prefer him to start over Morrison at half back from the bench. Hope Poppy has a good game as like the look of Dylan Moore, a tough little goal sneak. Howe is underrated in my opinion as quite a good tag and Brand not to shabby. Scully will only of course get better each game as you could tell he was tentative in his first game for the club after such a serious injury. Excited to see how Wingard goes and I think we have a bit of gem in Scrimshaw. I hope the boys bounce back this week after the last quarter effort last week despite my mental rants at the shocking umpiring, the fact is we should still not give up 9 goals in a quarter. I just hope for a fair umpiring display for both sides and let the play flow and not play stupid free kicks for both sides. We should win this by 6 goals I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The overconfidence of some posters in here never ceases to amaze me. We are coming off a pretty poor performance and North are searching for a win.

When we met them a year ago they absolutely thumped us, and that was when we had a midfield! I also think that North’s list has improved since this time last year.

I think we have a good chance, but so do North. We are virtually relying on Jaeger, Worps and Cousins to go head-to-head with a larger group of seasoned midfielders. It’s not impossible, but it will take a huge effort.

What worries me is that so far I am seeing the same exact posts I saw last week:
“We will win by (insert ridiculously optimistic number of points)”

I will echo the same opinion I had last week:

danger game...

The overconfidence of some posters in here never ceases to amaze me. We are coming off a pretty poor performance and North are searching for a win.

When we met them a year ago they absolutely thumped us, and that was when we had a midfield! I also think that North’s list has improved since this time last year.

I think we have a good chance, but so do North. We are virtually relying on Jaeger, Worps and Cousins to go head-to-head with a larger group of seasoned midfielders. It’s not impossible, but it will take a huge effort.

What worries me is that so far I am seeing the same exact posts I saw last week:
“We will win by (insert ridiculously optimistic number of points)”

I will echo the same opinion I had last week:

danger game...

Absolutely. While last weeks game might have helped us at marvel, this weeks helps us at the MCG

Without 4 of our mature midfielders, if we get to 3-3 it’s a good result

If we were able to hold onto the dogs after that first half and then break away in the third quarter like that, think this week should be somewhat easier without having to face the midfield pressure of bont/hunter/macrae/maclean/wallis/libba.

It a toss of the coin game for me . Our midfield really worries me , we were thin already without T.Mitch and throw in Burgoyne/ Shiels . Huge task for the younger brigade in there.
No doubt north will try to exploit us there as all sides will

Rest of the ground we can cover them so for me we need to break even if that area .

Personally I think we are 3-4 games off seeing our best . More footy into Scully / Wingard , and our best available midfield barring injury by then back

Need to snag a few wins by then though. I’m hoping more then confident but am enjoying seeing the new young players getting games and watching them improve

I’m backing the guys in a tight one . Hawks by 8

Absolutely. While last weeks game might have helped us at marvel, this weeks helps us at the MCG

Without 4 of our mature midfielders, if we get to 3-3 it’s a good result
If last week's game was at marvel we lose by 6 goals imo. Our knowledge of the G helped us nail chances when they were repeatedly getting the ball inside 50. Playing the dogs at docklands is a very tough assignment, it becomes an inside mid s#itfight which suits them to a tee

Wingard offsets the loss of Burgoyne slightly. It’s a shame Howe isn’t ready yet, but I guess the club wants to be cautious given the injuries to Mitchell, Burgoyne, Shiels and Minchington, they probably don’t want to bring in an under done player and risk futher injuries. If he gets through tomorrow’s VFL game he will almost certainly play next week.

What I want to see in this game is a better effort from Smith and Stratton. They were really disappointing last week.

If last week's game was at marvel we lose by 6 goals imo. Our knowledge of the G helped us nail chances when they were repeatedly getting the ball inside 50. Playing the dogs at docklands is a very tough assignment, it becomes an inside mid s#itfight which suits them to a tee

Rolled em by 11 goals there last year from memory.

Rolled em by 11 goals there last year from memory.
Even sides like Freo and Port beat the dogs by 9 goals last year (7 goals at docklands in port's return match). They are a different beast this season. I mean, we rolled the pies by over 5 goals last year but I wouldn't expect us to get within 45 points if we played them next week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back