Toast Round 3 = Collingwood 81-37 St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

A hell of a long way to go this season but I feel we are really hitting our sweet spot this season. With a bit of luck on our side for once, it really seems we are going to be hard to beat this season. Stars on every line and a really mature group with a decent mix of youngsters. Our time is now.

Bring on the Giants.

Yep he was a bargain trade, not like that Roughead who cost us an arm and a leg!
Now that’s one I genuinely have a hard time believing. Roughead as a defender was exactly what the dogs were crying out for last year and they let him walk to an opposition club for absolutely nothing!

Now that’s one I genuinely have a hard time believing. Roughead as a defender was exactly what the dogs were crying out for last year and they let him walk to an opposition club for absolutely nothing!

I think they Relationship Broke down between Player and Coaches at the Dogs for Roughy

Speaking of Ryder, really good player. I like the ins the saints had in the offseason but their midfield is so small and sh*t it will hold them back.
They have a few good ins, but they made the same mistake that Port did a few years ago. You can’t replace a third of your 22 over an off-season and expect good results. There’s not enough time to build team cohesion.

They have a few good ins, but they made the same mistake that Port did a few years ago. You can’t replace a third of your 22 over an off-season and expect good results. There’s not enough time to build team cohesion.
Next year it may come together for them but still need to address the size issue in the middle. Perhaps a Sier/Max King swap.

Next year it may come together for them but still need to address the size issue in the middle. Perhaps a Sier/Max King swap.
They’d probably need to provide steak knives for that one.

Lynch playing for Collingwood in 2019 instead of Richmond means a premiership in our cabinet instead of theirs imo. Well worth the cost.

I reckon we had our balance wrong last year in terms of game style and intent. I don't think Lynch would have changed that. But like you I'm guessing at an alternative outcome and we'll never know

Anyone else Pissed that on the Broadcast of the Game last night you could barley hear our Theme Song after the Final Siren?
I was more annoyed at the crap camera work.
Too many closeups meant you couldn't see where the ball was.

Sidebottom & Pendlebury were again magnificent. Simply superb.

Adams, Crisp, Maynard, Grundy & Howe were also all excellent. Thought Tyler Brown contributed nicely, too.

Phillips/Mayne/C.Brown all relatively poor. But we carried them well enough.

Great win overall,

Good call, but C Maybe hardly poor he puts it all on the line and does a lot if things that go unnoticed.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% has cost Phillips. He’s a workhorse so he can still pop up and maybe the shorter games have affected his output too. Happy to have Daicos in his role if he is a better user. Hopefully Phillips improves in his new role.

If Daicos and T Brown keep going like this then Philips may be trade bait at the end if the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While I enjoyed our win yesterday evening, I can't help thinking we received a fair old leg-up from the AFL, with the timing of this fixture. We were gifted a 10-day break between our Rd 2 and our Rd 3 matches, while the Aints had to cop a 6-day break. I know it's not the final determinant, but gee it's got to help.

On that basis, this week's challenge against GWS will be a lot tougher, as we'll be coming off a 6-day break and they will be off 7.

While I enjoyed our win yesterday evening, I can't help thinking we received a fair old leg-up from the AFL, with the timing of this fixture. We were gifted a 10-day break between our Rd 2 and our Rd 3 matches, while the Aints had to cop a 6-day break. I know it's not the final determinant, but gee it's got to help.

On that basis, this week's challenge against GWS will be a lot tougher, as we'll be coming off a 6-day break and they will be off 7.

We owe them C M............no excuses this week mate.

Lynch playing for Collingwood in 2019 instead of Richmond means a premiership in our cabinet instead of theirs imo. Well worth the cost.
I reckon a fit DeGoey would have been enough.

Getting the Tigers on a GF in perfect conditions would have suited us down to the ground

Oh well, s**t happens...hopefully we have a fit list come October this year

For what its worth, yesteday was exactly what I expected. Not necissiarly from our game, but more from St Kilda.

Their linup is effectively made up of rejects from other clubs, plus a few decent FA singings. Lets take a look at the team from Yesterday:

Ryder, Butler, Hannebery, Marsh, Jones, Hill, Howard - All new to the club this year. All bar Butler had stinkers.

I had the same thoughts at the trade period as I do now, there is a reason a lot of these players were able to walk from their clubs and arrive at the Saints. Sure they payed a price for Hill but the rest were pick swaps, late picks or FA signings.

If their old clubs rated these players, they would have fought to keep them or get something of equal significance in return.

To compare this to Collingwood, our FA signings have by and large been role players Roughead doesnt leave the back 50m and it wouldnt be anyones expectation that hes going to be the saviour of the club. Our trades in have cost us a lot, Adams, Treloar, *Beams*.

Bit of a rant I know, but it just goes to show our list management has done quite well over the last few years.

Hill spent all match yesterday kick chasing in the D50. Got in the Saints best but was ordinary in my books.

Good call, but C Maybe hardly poor he puts it all on the line and does a lot if things that go unnoticed.

I think I'm watching something different with Callum than a lot of other people. Love the way he's progressing. His balance, agility and awarness in traffic is becoming a weapon.

Yep he was a bargain trade, not like that Roughead who cost us an arm and a leg!
I am still upset what we paid for Crisp. Our back six are a headache when it comes to price we paid.;)

The same way I thought when watching Melbourne back in 2017-18 when they were improving and then premiership contending. Their one glaring weakness was that they had Oscar McDonald at full-back having to play shut down on all the gun key forwards - those forwards were kicking bags every week. Meanwhile, Lynden Dunn was playing remarkable football for us and they gave him to us for next to nothing. If they'd had persisted with a champion club man in Dunn who still had gas in the tank, they could have gotten closer to a flag that year.

I reckon we had our balance wrong last year in terms of game style and intent. I don't think Lynch would have changed that. But like you I'm guessing at an alternative outcome and we'll never know

You guys know how I bang on about our game is our ace in our deck, not necessarily an abundance of talent. Our game at optimum like v dogs and 1st qtr v tiges is a long way toward it.

Ideally we literally suffocate the opp with and without the ball, go the extra yard to have receivers on the outside to allow fluid transition. 'What the hell does this have to do with a KPF?' - Well that game doesn't rely on a KPF as much as a true kick / mark team like WC for example.

If you have the cajones and revisit that nightmare of the 2018 GF, and the way we played in that 1st qtr - a Lynch would've made almost zero difference. Not convinced a star KPF is the magic bullet to a flag - not for us. We have multiple mobile options forward that when combined with having fluid transition makes the opp nervous and us unpredictable. Not many teams have this, not the same amount of options anyway.

Even in that 1st qtr v tiges, under immense pressure we were STILL able to transition the ball through traffic - doubt there's another that could do that like our mob did against such a pressure team. Did we run outta gas? Who knows - but the template is there.

Suffocate with and without ball.

This is Nafan's vision folks and he reckons there's more improvement in the cupboard, I haven't seen the replay yet (on site) but if that 1st qtr v tiges is the end game then................................

I think the framework of our game plan was revealed against the Tiges, offensive pressure early then preservation after we have a good enough lead.
This season is like no other - if we lose too many of our best 22 we are DONE.
The game against the aints further demonstrates this and I doubt we will see our full game until - if we make it - the big dance.

This is something said by opposition supporters as a mark of disrespect against one of our all time greats. I’m honestly shocked that any true Collingwood supporter would run with that s**t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back