VFL Round 3 - Collingwood vs Footscray at Victoria Park (PIES WON, 100-96!) :-D

Remove this Banner Ad

Freeman missed a year of footy, and has played 3 or 4 VFL games in his short Collingwood career. Hes a work in progress and realistically won't see senior action til next year. Be patient guys, he'll be a gun!

Really - then he's gonna get passed by several in a hurry this year.
He might already have. With Blair's improvement, Dwyer contributing and Kennedy waiting in the wings, Fasolo's future in the forward line is bleak. Not to mention the likes of Broomhead and Karnezis as fwd/mids. Or even Sidebottom if our new look midfield allows us to play him at HFF more.

How'd Scharenburg go in his first game back?
As you would expect! Did some good things, did some bad things. Just a relief to get through his first game. Now he can just build on this and hopefully be injury free for the rest of his career

I'm not normally an advocate of playing people in defence to teach lessons but maybe Freeman would benefit from this. It might make him get his hands dirty, reduce his propensity to seek cheap possessions and also just maybe encourage him to actually use his pace to break lines from defence. What do others think?

As you would expect! Did some good things, did some bad things. Just a relief to get through his first game. Now he can just build on this and hopefully be injury free for the rest of his career

I'd just leave him be in the reserves for this season. I wouldn't ask anything of him but to just regain touch and confidence.

I'd just leave him be in the reserves for this season. I wouldn't ask anything of him but to just regain touch and confidence.
Na I wouldn't say that! It's only round 5 so he has a lot of time to get his touch and fitness up. If he's form is good enough I would play him

Na I wouldn't say that! It's only round 5 so he has a lot of time to get his touch and fitness up. If he's form is good enough I would play him

Well if he is flying but I doubt his form will be good enough this year and I was a massive fan of him at draft time like everyone.

I think it is becoming apparent that he is being overtaken by a few players already,I saw him in the 1st match at the Gabba and he kicked a superb goal from beyond the 50 and then did what people are saying he did again today namely go missing.Unless he turns around people,s perception of him he may not be there next season it is up to him,he should by talent alone be best 22 but he is struggling to have a consistent impact and there comes a time when enough is enough and people lose patience.

Ps I am talking of Fasolo here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not normally an advocate of playing people in defence to teach lessons but maybe Freeman would benefit from this. It might make him get his hands dirty, reduce his propensity to seek cheap possessions and also just maybe encourage him to actually use his pace to break lines from defence. What do others think?
I think it's a smart idea

Watched a little bit of VFL training before yesterdays game, Noticed both Freeman and Kennedy were in 2nd gear for the most of it, The guys are class above it shows clearly, there's no requirement to rip up the VFL. When the fitness is up AFL standard these guys along with Sharenberg, Moore and a few others will show the type of footy that will propel the seniors to great heights. This depth is what I think making fringe players like Oxley, Ramsey Frost, play some great footy.

Watched a little bit of VFL training before yesterdays game, Noticed both Freeman and Kennedy were in 2nd gear for the most of it, The guys are class above it shows clearly, there's no requirement to rip up the VFL. When the fitness is up AFL standard these guys along with Sharenberg, Moore and a few others will show the type of footy that will propel the seniors to great heights. This depth is what I think making fringe players like Oxley, Ramsey Frost, play some great footy.

There most certainly is or you they'll quickly find themselves in a similar position to Fasolo. He is very much a type that is a "class above" at that level, but also takes the view that there's no requirement to tear it up.

My suggestion. You wanna play seniors at our club you put in the effort to dominate in the reserves and belt down the door ala DeGoey.

I think it is becoming apparent that he is being overtaken by a few players already,I saw him in the 1st match at the Gabba and he kicked a superb goal from beyond the 50 and then did what people are saying he did again today namely go missing.Unless he turns around people,s perception of him he may not be there next season it is up to him,he should by talent alone be best 22 but he is struggling to have a consistent impact and there comes a time when enough is enough and people lose patience.

Ps I am talking of Fasolo here.
is he the next Colin Silvia?

There most certainly is or you they'll quickly find themselves in a similar position to Fasolo. He is very much a type that is a "class above" at that level, but also takes the view that there's no requirement to tear it up.

My suggestion. You wanna play seniors at our club you put in the effort to dominate in the reserves and belt down the door ala DeGoey.
That's interesting cant recall Sidebottom, Beams, Cloke, ever playing more than 2 games in ressies, or even tearing it up. If your good enough and have fitness you will get in. Freeman will probably fire up for a few quarter's and bang his in. The pressure for the club to expose these high draft picks in the AFL will grow by the week.

Just to expand on my previous comment about Cox, he is really developing at warp speed. To see him out there you wouldn't know he was a yank playing his 5 or 6 ever game of AFL. Really used his voice out on the ground directing, complimenting and even trashing opposition players. Is noticeably huge on the ground and very mobile. This is a big call and maybe a couple of wines talking, but reckon he will be our number one ruck-man in 3 years!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, that's what we want. Players in 2nd gear in training then not doing a great deal in matches. Forget VFL, get them straight into the seniors. That's the way to build a successful team.

Yep, that's what we want. Players in 2nd gear in training then not doing a great deal in matches. Forget VFL, get them straight into the seniors. That's the way to build a successful team.
How does busting your guts out at VFL training or getting injured in the VFL or preseason help out the cause, have a think about Sherenberg, Reid, Greenwood, Mcaffer and Krakour a few years ago. Seriously reading the reserves reviews is comedy at its finest, one guy said Young had a ripper of a game, 10 others said they were glad he got injured. These guys are not in VFL to make that team the best, every VFL game is a practice match for these guys, Fitness and structure is the priority.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back