VFL Round 4 - Geelong vs Collingwood at Queen Elizabeth Oval (Pies WON 92-83, replay P15, Post #361)

Remove this Banner Ad

In regards to Marsh and Moore I think people have to remember that Marsh is only 192cm.

I say only because that 3-4 cms shorter then your average key position player can make all the difference. He will never be able to play on the 197-202cm players, we've seen that already when he's been dominated at times by the bigger opponents at VFL level when we've simply had no one else to take them.

Don't get me wrong, Marsh has a huge future and I'm one of his biggest fans already, but I don't see him pushing Frost or Brown out of the side long term, I see him more as a third defender or forward option once he develops further.

As to Moore, and this goes for Marsh too, I hope we don't pigeon hole either as defenders.

Ben Reid started his senior career as a forward, then went and spent almost an entire season down back before he became the All Australian CHB a few years later. Now Reid can play either end almost with equal proficiency, obviously when he's fit.

It would be prudent for us to try both Moore and Marsh up forward also before they fully establish a spot in the senior side, if only to develop their versatility further because I really do see that as their biggest strength long term.

Imagine having Reid, Moore and Marsh in the one team, where at any moment any of the three could be moved to the other end of the ground to completely confuse the other team and have a massive impact on the game.

Versatility is the key to our next premiership, whether it be midfielders who can play forward, rucks who can have an impact in all areas or defenders who can play at either end.

In regards to Marsh and Moore I think people have to remember that Marsh is only 192cm.

I say only because that 3-4 cms shorter then your average key position player can make all the difference. He will never be able to play on the 197-202cm players, we've seen that already when he's been dominated at times by the bigger opponents at VFL level when we've simply had no one else to take them.

Don't get me wrong, Marsh has a huge future and I'm one of his biggest fans already, but I don't see him pushing Frost or Brown out of the side long term, I see him more as a third defender or forward option once he develops further.

As to Moore, and this goes for Marsh too, I hope we don't pigeon hole either as defenders.

Ben Reid started his senior career as a forward, then went and spent almost an entire season down back before he became the All Australian CHB a few years later. Now Reid can play either end almost with equal proficiency, obviously when he's fit.

It would be prudent for us to try both Moore and Marsh up forward also before they fully establish a spot in the senior side, if only to develop their versatility further because I really do see that as their biggest strength long term.

Imagine having Reid, Moore and Marsh in the one team, where at any moment any of the three could be moved to the other end of the ground to completely confuse the other team and have a massive impact on the game.

Versatility is the key to our next premiership, whether it be midfielders who can play forward, rucks who can have an impact in all areas or defenders who can play at either end.

I think Marsh as a forward is pretty much dead. He did an interview where he said he asked the coaches to play down back and sees himself as a defender

I think Marsh as a forward is pretty much dead. He did an interview where he said he asked the coaches to play down back and sees himself as a defender
Ah comments like this will be great to dig up in a few years. "Marsh as a forward is pretty much dead at 18 years of age;" I would suggest that stranger things have happened!

My view though is Marsh will be a keeper - as in he will want to stay and we will want to keep him, even with the log-jam we have down back. He seems particularly to have an exceptionally strong friendship with Moore. We may even see them as our future key defence combination. Though of course with me vociferously objecting in the background to the notion of Moore used down back, where his talent is being completely wasted.
Knightmare stop being so vociferous about everything

100% Agree. Marsh and Moore can be very Versatile and don’t want them seen for just 1 Postion

Hey MagpieBat ...

...you got a mention on Lulie St this week!

Well done :)

Yeah, saw that, 76.

Kind of embarrassing, really. Nice gesture by the club, but I'm not really a publicity person.

Plenty of other VFL watchers who are just as worthy of a mention on the show, who will hopefully get their due recognition in the weeks to come.

Yeah, saw that, 76.

Kind of embarrassing, really. Nice gesture by the club, but I'm not really a publicity person.

Plenty of other VFL watchers who are just as worthy of a mention on the show, who will hopefully get their due recognition in the weeks to come.
I liked that they couldn't work out that DIF meant Directly In Front.

Lulie St, pls...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, saw that, 76.

Fair enough ...

... but the club have been reaching out to the VFL community. Huge kudos to the club for that!!!

Take the compliment and move on ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back