VFL Round 4 - Geelong vs Collingwood at Queen Elizabeth Oval (Pies WON 92-83, replay P15, Post #361)

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine him and Maynard coming off half back in the seniors over the next 10 years.

That be Exciting to Watch. 2 Fantastic Kicks and Users of the Ball

Last edited:

De Goey through the midfield really performed strongly again and to my eyes looks ready for another shot in the 1s.

Fasolo and Kennedy are both playing to an AFL standard.

Jon Marsh is another I'd like to give a positive mention to. He is becoming more of an intercept marking threat down back and is also still beating his direct opponent. It's only a matter of time for me until he passes both Brown and Frost by. He is playing to a standard whereby I wouldn't be afraid to give him games at AFL level, which is a credit to the work he has put in, and the improvement he has made.

Scharenberg also looks good at VFL level. He probably needs another couple of games at VFL level just to get games into him, but I'm ready to see him play in the 1s, because for me he is best 22 today as someone who with a year or two has the ability to be our best general defender.

The other player I'll comment on is Mason Cox who at 211cm should naturally be a topic of conversation. He looks pretty good through the ruck. One change for me he needs to make is at boundary throwins he is just too far back and chooses to sit back behind the opposing ruckman, and the ball just drops so far short on the throwins that he rarely gets a hand on it. So he needs to work more to get to the front, regardless of whether it's a bigger guy like a Dawson Simpson.

How about De Goey's mark of the century?

If his highlights from the weekend are half as good we have like da best player eva on our hands !!1one!!

Wouldn't say mark of the century . But was a good one. Unfortunately though he scrubbed the kick and gave it straight back to the opposition.

I must say though I haven't been this excited about a draftee tearing up the vfl since pendles

The kid is a star

Actually thought he had more influence on the game than Scharenberg. Wet conditions and congested footy for the most part, long periods of slow rugby maul moving around the ground.

Wouldn't read too much into the stats.

Not sure if we were watching the same game.. Freeman stunk it up, hardly noticed him all night.

Now with the injury news it kinda makes sense why he hasn't looked great

De Goey through the midfield really performed strongly again and to my eyes looks ready for another shot in the 1s.

Fasolo and Kennedy are both playing to an AFL standard.

Jon Marsh is another I'd like to give a positive mention to. He is becoming more of an intercept marking threat down back and is also still beating his direct opponent. It's only a matter of time for me until he passes both Brown and Frost by. He is playing to a standard whereby I wouldn't be afraid to give him games at AFL level, which is a credit to the work he has put in, and the improvement he has made.

Scharenberg also looks good at VFL level. He probably needs another couple of games at VFL level just to get games into him, but I'm ready to see him play in the 1s, because for me he is best 22 today as someone who with a year or two has the ability to be our best general defender.

The other player I'll comment on is Mason Cox who at 211cm should naturally be a topic of conversation. He looks pretty good through the ruck. One change for me he needs to make is at boundary throwins he is just too far back and chooses to sit back behind the opposing ruckman, and the ball just drops so far short on the throwins that he rarely gets a hand on it. So he needs to work more to get to the front, regardless of whether it's a bigger guy like a Dawson Simpson.

Just watched the replay. I loved Coxs game. I was actually quite stunned at how adept he seemed at this stage of his development. Think you are right Knighta in that he has a habit of coming round the back in contests. Maybe being slight of build compared to Simpson - who is a friggin monster - he was trying not to get locked up in a physical battle. What I love about our American is he is athletic but for his size he already follows up and attempts second efforts and tackles. His tap work is really promising, he extends and tries to hit the ball at its full height. I havent noticed Witts doing this. admittedly i havent watched Witts this year but generally he tends to pause and wait for the ball which defeats the purpose of his size advantage. cox seems more agile. When he times this correctly he is almost unbeatable due to his height and reach. Man I get why people have been commenting on him. If he continues his rate of improvement this guy could be something. Especially if he can learn to push forward and take a mark.

De Goey's game was very encouraging as many have noted. I liked Kennedys form he was really pushing and breaking lines which was great to see. Marsh did some really good things. Schaz was a joy to watch after what he's been through. Would love to see him get through the year and find touch, even if its just at this level.

I reckon some people being a bit harsh on Freeman in light of his hamstring niggles. For a bloke whose main asset is burst speed he would be going through a huge psychological hurdle in not wanting to tear his hammy again and it might be a while before he gains the necessary confidence in his body. We need to be patient. I like his movement when he has the ball, even if he's not getting enough of it.

Just watched the replay. I loved Coxs game. I was actually quite stunned at how adept he seemed at this stage of his development. Think you are right Knighta in that he has a habit of coming round the back in contests. Maybe being slight of build compared to Simpson - who is a friggin monster - he was trying not to get locked up in a physical battle. What I love about our American is he is athletic but for his size he already follows up and attempts second efforts and tackles. His tap work is really promising, he extends and tries to hit the ball at its full height. I havent noticed Witts doing this. admittedly i havent watched Witts this year but generally he tends to pause and wait for the ball which defeats the purpose of his size advantage. cox seems more agile. When he times this correctly he is almost unbeatable due to his height and reach. Man I get why people have been commenting on him. If he continues his rate of improvement this guy could be something. Especially if he can learn to push forward and take a mark.

Some good comments on Cox and you're right about his followup work. He'll tackle and give those second efforts. Mobility good but strength will be an area for improvement.

And last week he got forward and took a mark then converted from the set shot. So that's a starting point but it will be a process. But no question that is something he will need to work to develop, along with his tap work if he wants to become AFL relevant, with that followup work also another important area for him to continue to develop which early days looks like a real potential strength.

As with any big it's about adding to the arsenal and making those areas of relative strength as dominant as possible to eventually become AFL relevant and become a factor in winning.

Big Call Knightmare saying that Marsh will be better Defender’s then both Brown and Frost who have been doing a very good job so far this year

Wouldn't say mark of the century . But was a good one. Unfortunately though he scrubbed the kick and gave it straight back to the opposition.

I must say though I haven't been this excited about a draftee tearing up the vfl since pendles

The kid is a star

and People(Including Me) where even more excited about Moore:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That what I also liked that he is doing more then just be a Tap Ruckman with Repeat Efforts

Big Call Knightmare saying that Marsh will be better Defender’s then both Brown and Frost who have been doing a very good job so far this year

Marsh is not as good today. But he seems to have a few more tricks that he is developing into his game so I'm giving him that chance to go past Brown/Frost.

Brown is a shutdown only defender. He can stop his guy. But that's what he does.

Frost is much the same story. Quicker, not as strong 1v1, but he is starting to leave his man more and be a third man up option, and picking and choosing his times to leave his man well.

Marsh seems to fit a category more similar to Frost. Just the difference being that he is showing more of a willingness to take marks - be it when leaving his man or 1v1. And that's the critical trick for me that suggests he can push past them both.

--
It's a curious dynamic with our backline situation just with the sheer numbers of guys who project as AFL quality.

It screams opportunity for a Fremantle who fit into the win now basket and otherwise largely unable to bring in opposition talent with no one much wanting to move to a West Australia club. Get a Marsh. Maybe they can snag a Fasolo/Williams/Ramsay/Gault also depending on what else they want. They don't need their first round pick, Ross Lyon doesn't play kids. So it could be a pretty good way to bring in two guys who can contribute to winning right away in their situation.

Maybe St Kilda who need another key defender offer their second round pick for Marsh. There could be some interesting possibilities out there if other clubs realise Marsh is as good as he is looking.

My view though is Marsh will be a keeper - as in he will want to stay and we will want to keep him, even with the log-jam we have down back. He seems particularly to have an exceptionally strong friendship with Moore. We may even see them as our future key defence combination. Though of course with me vociferously objecting in the background to the notion of Moore used down back, where his talent is being completely wasted.

It's a curious dynamic with our backline situation just with the sheer numbers of guys who project as AFL quality.

It screams opportunity for a Fremantle who fit into the win now basket and otherwise largely unable to bring in opposition talent with no one much wanting to move to a West Australia club. Get a Marsh. Maybe they can snag a Fasolo/Williams/Ramsay/Gault also depending on what else they want. They don't need their first round pick, Ross Lyon doesn't play kids. So it could be a pretty good way to bring in two guys who can contribute to winning right away in their situation.

Maybe St Kilda who need another key defender offer their second round pick for Marsh. There could be some interesting possibilities out there if other clubs realise Marsh is as good as he is looking.

My view though is Marsh will be a keeper - as in he will want to stay and we will want to keep him, even with the log-jam we have down back. He seems particularly to have an exceptionally strong friendship with Moore. We may even see them as our future key defence combination. Though of course with me vociferously objecting in the background to the notion of Moore used down back, where his talent is being completely wasted.

What I seen at VFL Games - I agree Moore and Marsh seem Best of Friends and always talking to each other.

I would not say Moore down is a Complete Waste of his Talent but it’s not making the best of it though.

What would Marsh get in a Trade?

I just finished watching the game, and I've got to say, in all of the concern about Scharenberg's health, I hadn't realised how little I was thinking about his actual talent level.

Watching his ball use and strong marking in the backline reminded me that this kid really does have legitimate superstar, All-Australian, B&F potential.

He looks confident in his body and I suppose the blessing in disguise is that the extra rest from the knee reconstruction probably did his feet a world of good, so as long as the knee holds up, fingers crossed that he should be out of the woods in terms of his health.

It's really not inconceivable that with another couple of games like that in the VFL we could be looking at an AFL debut within the next month.

I just finished watching the game, and I've got to say, in all of the concern about Scharenberg's health, I hadn't realised how little I was thinking about his actual talent level.

Watching his ball use and strong marking in the backline reminded me that this kid really does have legitimate superstar, All-Australian, B&F potential.

He looks confident in his body and I suppose the blessing in disguise is that the extra rest from the knee reconstruction probably did his feet a world of good, so as long as the knee holds up, fingers crossed that he should be out of the woods in terms of his health.

It's really not inconceivable that with another couple of games like that in the VFL we could be looking at an AFL debut within the next month.

Well with the HBF’s falling down he might be the last one Left - Though Hopefully not.

I see him playing in the 2nd Half of the Season as long as he stays Fit and Plays

What I seen at VFL Games - I agree Moore and Marsh seem Best of Friends and always talking to each other.

I would not say Moore down is a Complete Waste of his Talent but it’s not making the best of it though.

What would Marsh get in a Trade?

Marsh's form over the second half of the season would be what would determine that.

Given he was a late pick last year, he likely would be not worth anything at this point.

But if he has a big season and continues to improve strongly as I'm anticipating, if clubs are paying attention he could be worth a whole lot more than nothing.

But again just how strongly he performs and just how strongly he improves will be the two considerations in assessing his potential trade value at seasons end.

It could be as high as an early second round pick if he really performs to estimate.

But again I'm looking at Marsh as a keeper and someone I may even look to keep ahead of some of our other key defenders if he is really going along that strongly.

Still not running fluently or kicking on his left. Still a lot of VFL footy in His 2015 season I'd have thought while he regains confidence.

Not sure if we were watching the same game.. Freeman stunk it up, hardly noticed him all night.

Now with the injury news it kinda makes sense why he hasn't looked great

Yeah, my bad, plead temporary insanity.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back