Autopsy Round 6 Swans Vs Giants.

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.justwatch.com/au/tv-show/cobra-kai/season-2

This website gives you a rundown of each legal way you can stream and/or download movies and TV shows. Seems like season 2 of Cobra Kai is available on youtube premium, which has a free 1 month trial and then costs $15 a month. Just do that instead.

$15/m for YT Premieum
$30/m for Netflix
$15/m for Amazon Prime
$30/m for Hulu
$15/m for CrunchyRoll

$80/m for Foxtel

Stick to newsgroups!

Well... how frustrated you were during that match probably depended on what you expected from this team. This is where we're at. We're a bottom four teams. We've lost to some other average teams, and couple that with our inability to have any home ground advantage whatsoever against the quality teams, we just won't be doing any damage this year. That is disappointing to me as I said pre-season even though I expected a slide down the ladder, I didn't expect us to be bottom four. I still think we have more quality in our team than several others, so I can't say it's not a bitter pill to swallow to be performing worse than some of those teams.

But what can we do? Sit and wallow in our misery? Or dust ourselves off and focus on improving? The way I see it, it's going to take time, and rather than a rapid improvement, I think we would be best to see a staggered improvement. Fix one weakness of ours and then move on to the next, instead of trying to remedy them all at once. This group is not strong enough to do that (and I don't think our coach is good enough either if I'm being honest.)

Start with the most urgent area of improvement: our contested footy. We cannot accept these thrashings in contested possessions any more. If you can't even get your hands on the 50/50 balls that are there to be won, you can forget any of the other things like cleaning up our forward entries or having run and pace out of defence. Deal with those once we can at least match our opponents in winning the balls that matter.

We need to make this a priority so that our team can focus on it. Drill it and instil it into every Swans player so they know what is expected of them in contested situations. It needs to become second nature to them to attack every ball at full pace with unflinching conviction to win the ball. Every tackle must stick, every inch of their body must be thrown into each contest without fear of harm. In short: these Swans need toughening up. Once they've toughened up, we can begin to work on mastering the finer things, like skill and ball movement.

Last edited:

Not sure if you want to see a dear in headlights like the jlt because that’s all we can go of I guess

Out of his depth

Back to the neafl and get a kick in the mids there first like you said about Stoddart

Actually not a bad idea Punts.

As a defender he's been pretty average. As a midfielder he is an unknown entity. The middle ground would be to give him a run as a midfielder in the NEAFL. If he looks the goods after a few weeks, he could be a midfielder in the senior team. It might actually be better for his game as opposed to just throwing him in the guts after 50+ games in defence.

You have to pick your best 22 though...he’s best 22 even when he’s off!

I think we're now at the point where we can forget about who is best 22 and who isn't and just start focusing on developing these players in the best way we can, however we do it. If a player needs time in the NEAFL, give him time in the NEAFL even if he's best 22. If a player needs senior footy even if he's not warranted selection, give him senior footy. The end goal shouldn't be about scraping together enough wins to put together a respectable season. The end goal should be making these players the best they can be so they can win us a flag down the road.

If Longmire wants to save his job, he has to listen to the members and supporters, the majority want something at least similar to this.
I seriously hope this isn't true.

The members pay for the privilege of being a member, no qualifications required; the supporters simply label themselves supporters, with no commitment levels required.

If Longmire's role requires him to 'listen' to the requests of 100,000 or more people, he and any future coaches are doomed.

Our biggest problem is defensive transition. Other than the midfield, that is our glaring hole. If you move Lloyd to the wing how do you expect us to get the ball out of defence. The inkling I get is we all want us to be so attacking minded that everyone just wants our most talented players forward of the ball. Doesn't work like that unless you have a God's gift of a half back line.
I'm thinking that our defensive transition is being caused by our midfield, but I'm pretty sure that we are improving week to week.

Ronke is playing like a guy who has something going on his personal life

Florent has stepped up a notch this year

Rampe had a pretty decent game down back

Not sure Melican is a long termer for us

I must say our second quarter made me happy and thrilled for the first time this year. Even aspects of the other quarters were pleasing.

I felt the boys were licensed to have a crack. George and Dawson were highlights. Rowbottom showed he is a smart footballer.

This was probably the youngest team we have fielded in years.

Realistically the skill differential between the two teams was vast. GWS has an attacking mindset. They have the impulse to keep the ball in play. Twice they goaled from when the ball was tapped back rather than letting it run over the boundary. Few of our blokes have the skills and awareness.

The team benefitted from having Horse on the bench. He coached better and more intuitively than he has done for three years. It seems he was more realistic at his presser. I might actually watch it.

Unfortunately he still goes to the negative under pressure .... Reid down back!

I really admire Clarke's effort. However he needs a skill implant to be an effective AFL player. Melican is slow, untidy and is unable to read the play. Gave up several goals. Needs a long block in the 2s.

Ronke is a shadow of himself and is another in need of a long stint in the 2s.

I thought Mills was ok but is down on confidence.

Heeney was again wasted on the fwd line.

2A was ok as he has been all year but provides none of the run and dare he has shown in the past. That appears to have been coached out of him.

Of the seniors, JPK and Ramps were both good, Reid was better and Parker was ok but disappeared in the second half.

The game offered both insight into where we are but a bit of much needed excitement.

All in all, I was pretty happy with this game, got blown away in the final quarter but the signs are good...

Positives:
- Getting better each week, effort was excellent, very entertaining first half.
- Jones: 27 disposals @70% DE[10 contested], 5 score involvements, 6 clearances, 7 tackles, 6 inside 50s. Got better as the game went on imo.
- Dawson: 18 @ 67% [8 contested], 1 score involvements, 5 tackles, 3 Ins 50s, 4 Reb 50s, 3 frees for. Starting to attract opposition, watch for a dip.
- Cunningham: 22 @ 82% [5 contested], 648 mtrs gained, 1 tackle, 5 Ins 50s, 5 Reb 50s.

Negatives:
- Without Buddy, GWS was able to disrupt our leading patterns, resulting in a lot of wasted footy in the forward half. Need experience.
- We lacked the necessary tall match-ups which made marking a fairly rare occurrence, and GWS interceptions very regular I thought.
- Midfield is showing signs of promise, but still very inconsistent with a lot of turnovers.

GWS is an excellent team, generally under performing at this point imo. I wonder how Stevie J is going with his forward coaching, must be a bit of a roller coaster for him atm. At this stage we still fielding at least a half NEAFL team, so I don't think there's much point sending most/any of them back to the NEAFL unless it for a rest. It's very definitely a learn on the job scenario, and I'm pretty happy as long as I continue to see improvements.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see a spoon incoming.
Without having seen the stats and having only seen the game live, we got pantsed in the ruck. Hit outs to advantage looked few and far between. The giants roved the tap pretty well. What was missing was the frantic swarming midfield pressure that won us a couple of flags, although we were better than in previous weeks on this account. Disposal was deplorable at times, but we are starting to put it together. More handballs found their mark. We overused it less. We are starting to get there, although entries into the 50 were terrible. Most were floaters or grubbers.

Backline looked disorganised, but had the right personnel. Horse, please persist with this. Rowbottom looks like a player.

All this. But with this some hard decisions to be made. lets call a spade a spade. Knew our turn would come one day but not to the extent the first half a dozen games have exposed. There has been some poor work in the footy department as a whole in the last 3-4 years and denying it is stupid. Despite all this we stick and ride it out.

I dunno - managing to get rid of Hanners contract was a feat worthy of some kind of prize IMHO. 'Outstanding Achievement in the Field of Excellence' maybe.
And the draft just done will look very good in a couple of years.
Once we land Coniglio to go with our top 2 draft pick and the growth of the young players we'll be sitting pretty in no time.

Agree....in some ways our pre-season for 2020 can start now by heavily investing in the youth and re-positioning players. This is where the interest and anticipation for the remainder of this season lies for me. How Horse applies himself t this will be very interesting as well.

The real test, for me, is what Longmire does when McVeigh, Grundy, Smith and Jack are all fit again. Does he reflexively put them all back into the side and go back on this development path or does he stick fat with the idea of teaching the younger players? I really hope it's the latter but I can see McVeigh and Smith at least coming straight in when the opportunity arises.

I think the fans will be OK with it if we are explicitly trying to develop players for the future. Honestly I'm excited by that. If we maintain the focus on the younger players, we have a firm direction as a club. As opposed to going all out and limping our way to a 8-10 finish on the ladder with players whose careers are just about over.

I seriously hope this isn't true.

The members pay for the privilege of being a member, no qualifications required; the supporters simply label themselves supporters, with no commitment levels required.

If Longmire's role requires him to 'listen' to the requests of 100,000 or more people, he and any future coaches are doomed.
No more than the club listened when appointing Roos. C’mon Kirky, you’ve forgotten about that one?

I think we're now at the point where we can forget about who is best 22 and who isn't and just start focusing on developing these players in the best way we can, however we do it. If a player needs time in the NEAFL, give him time in the NEAFL even if he's best 22. If a player needs senior footy even if he's not warranted selection, give him senior footy. The end goal shouldn't be about scraping together enough wins to put together a respectable season. The end goal should be making these players the best they can be so they can win us a flag down the road.
The best 22 is always the 22 you put on the paddock.

What a load of rubbish. Mills got it 22 times, Rowbottom 10
Rowbottom seemed to spend most of the second half - when he was onfield- in the forward line. Infuriating. Soon as he was put near the ball in the 4th he started impacting.
Well... how frustrated you were during that match probably depended on what you expected from this team. This is where we're at. We're a bottom four teams. We've lost to some other average teams, and couple that with our inability to have any home ground advantage whatsoever against the quality teams, we just won't be doing any damage this year. That is disappointing to me as I said pre-season even though I expected a slide down the ladder, I didn't expect us to be bottom four. I still think we have more quality in our team than several others, so I can't say it's not a bitter pill to swallow to be performing worse than some of those teams.

But what can we do? Sit and wallow in our misery? Or dust ourselves off and focus on improving? The way I see it, it's going to take time, and rather than a rapid improvement, I think we would be best to see a staggered improvement. Fix one weakness of ours and then move on to the next, instead of trying to remedy them all at once. This group is not strong enough to do that (and I don't think our coach is good enough either if I'm being honest.)

Start with the most urgent area of improvement: our contested footy. We cannot accept these thrashings in contested possessions any more. If you can't even get your hands on the 50/50 balls that are there to be won, you can forget any of the other things like cleaning up our forward entries or having run and pace out of defence. Deal with those once we can at least match our opponents in winning the balls that matter.

We need to make this a priority so that our team can focus on it. Drill it and instil it into every Swans player so they know what is expected of them in contested situations. It needs to become second nature to them to attack every ball at full pace with unflinching conviction to win the ball. Every tackle must stick, every inch of their body must be thrown into each contest without fear of harm. In short: these Swans need toughening up. Once they've toughened up, we can begin to work on mastering the finer things, like skill and ball movement.

Disagree. The last thing we need is the same old Horse mantra now. "Just go harder" doesn't cut it. We need more pace and skill in the team.
We have the players in the 2s to do this. I couldn't give a rats if lose every game this year playing them. We are going to anyway at this rate, so may as well do it blooding the next generation of players capable of taking us back to the top. I'd pay to see that more than gallant losses with the likes of Clarke, Thurlow and Mills (in current position and form)

Core: JPK, Franklin, Parker, Hewett, Lloyd, Cunningham, Jones, Rampe, Reg (allows AA to develop as interceptor)
Priority Playing List: Rowbottom, Stoddart, Fox, COR, McInerney, Blakey, Dawson, McCartin, a couple of other young mids, AA

Strange decision to drop Ronke then reinstate him when Franklin pulled out. Why bother retaining Rose if in that exact circumstance he can't even get a call up.
Side picked Thursday night. Ronke emg.
Franklin scans on Friday, ruled out, emg comes in.
Why is this strange?

Pays to remind ourselves how many picks GWS have been gifted from the AFL - and it just rolls on each year as they trade out one gun for yet another gun at the draft.
Never in the history of any professional sport has a team (GWS and GC) been given such a golden opportunity to win it all. And they still haven't.
That we managed to stick with them as long as we did says something about our club culture IMO. The tv commentators can whinge on about contested possession was our hallmark - but ffs we haven't picked up too many top top draft picks or traded players lately.

I think we'll wait till we get done by both Brisbane and the Dons before playing for the future, but I hope we go with these changes for next week. I'd drop Blakey if Menzel were fit, but, dunno maybe we just put a few games into him because...may as well.

Out: Clarke, Ronke, Mills
IN: Fox, COR, Stoddart

TBH if we had gone in with these changes we'd of been a red hot chance IMHO.

On the positive side the first two picks in the draft look like truly elite midfielders (with obviously the kicking of Plugger and the marking of Capper).
At least you have Paul Roos calling your games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back