Review Round 6 vs Swans @ Metricon Stadium (24.04.21 - 1:45pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who comes in and who goes out?

Murtagh was best on for us in the VFL game against the Bulldogs reserves and seemed very capable as a key forward and in the ruck. Could be the exact kind of support King needs to get going.

Hopefully Ballard is healthy and takes his rightful place as a key defender back from Farrar/Graham.

Harbrow probably should be dropped. Aiden Fyfe could be a chance to replace him after he performed really well on Ugle-Hagan in the ressies game.

Thoughts?

FYI Swans were beaten by the Giants tonight with a goal in the last minute and Tom Hickey could have hurt his knee which would help us a fair bit in the ruck. Buddy Franklin looked a bit sore too which could lead to the Swans resting him.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who comes in and who goes out?

Murtagh was best on for us in the VFL game against the Bulldogs reserves and seemed very capable as a key forward and in the ruck. Could be the exact kind of support King needs to get going.

Hopefully Ballard is healthy and takes his rightful place as a key defender back from Farrar/Graham.

Harbrow probably should be dropped. Aiden Fyfe could be a chance to replace him after he performed really well on Ugle-Hagan in the ressies game.

Thoughts?

FYI Swans were beaten by the Giants tonight with a goal in the last minute and Tom Hickey could have hurt his knee which would help us a fair bit in the ruck. Buddy Franklin looked a bit sore too which could lead to the Swans resting him.
Lemmens should be hopefully OK. He would be perfect replacement for Harbrow. I can't see Farrar to be dropped after today.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lemmens should be hopefully OK. He would be perfect replacement for Harbrow. I can't see Farrar to be dropped after today.
Yeah Lemmens for Harbrow makes a lot of sense. Graham probably gets dropped if Ballard comes back.

Do you take a chance on Murtagh after a good showing in the VFL? I think I'd prefer Murtagh to be rucking and have Greenwood focus on winning the contested ball instead of switching in and out of the ruck. Burgess can relieve in the ruck when needed. So maybe Macpherson gets dropped for Murtagh?

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Surely Hombsch , Fiorini and Murdoch must be in line for a game. Must admit Farrar was a huge surprise

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Surely Hombsch , Fiorini and Murdoch must be in line for a game. Must admit Farrar was a huge surprise
Hombsh played well but Fiorini and Murdoch? No way. Brodie was actually better than Fiorini but both are slow, no urgency. Brodie is at least very good inside. They look OK in VFL. Murdoch was pretty bad in my opinion, turned over the ball, ...

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
What makes you say that? I saw a fair bit of the reserves game earlier today and none of those three really stood out to me. Murtagh was best on for mine.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Hombsh played well but Fiorini and Murdoch? No way. Brodie was actually better than Fiorini but both are slow, no urgency. Brodie is at least very good inside. They look OK in VFL. Murdoch was pretty bad in my opinion, turned over the ball, ...
Fiorini’s stats exceed those of Brody in almost all catigories at AFL level and he’s only one year older, personally I think Bradyn has been very hard done by

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Fiorini’s stats exceed those of Brody in almost all catigories at AFL level and he’s only one year older, personally I think Bradyn has been very hard done by
Did you watch the VFL game today? I don't see AFL future for both of them. I hope I am wrong.

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Yeah Lemmens for Harbrow makes a lot of sense. Graham probably gets dropped if Ballard comes back.

Do you take a chance on Murtagh after a good showing in the VFL? I think I'd prefer Murtagh to be rucking and have Greenwood focus on winning the contested ball instead of switching in and out of the ruck. Burgess can relieve in the ruck when needed. So maybe Macpherson gets dropped for Murtagh?
Murtagh showed some impressive traits today but it's still only VFL. I doubt they will play him in AFL soon.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Did you watch the VFL game today? I don't see AFL future for both of them. I hope I am wrong.
I didn’t know it was available to watch, or I would’ve loved to. I don’t know the final score but it had to be better than the seniors effort.

Regardless of that Fiorini has had some very good games at senior level AFL, I agree he’s not the fastest and his ball movement isn’t 100% but you could say that I’ve just about anyone in our team

Goodguy72

Senior List
Apr 28, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Only saw parts , was more disappointed in our listed small forwards in that game , still think we should have picked up a couple more last year. Our current ones apart from Rankine aren't doing their jobs ( Sexton and Corbett are mid forwards) , the other thing is none of our midfielders are big goal kickers so we need our forwards to pick up the slack

(Log in to remove this ad.)

KaySwizzle

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Farah has to stay in. His work rate was great, and he made some good choices moving the ball out of defence. Still has things to work on, but he’s not a “defender” and played comfortably there so that’s a big tick in his development. Dew mentioned this in his presser.

McPherson is in the team for tackles, but did not do that tonight. He’s an out for me as he constantly makes key errors and make me nervous when he is around the ball. He’s a worse version of Touk, Greenwood or Swallow, and right now he won’t move our team forward unless he improves his disposals. Holman v McPherson, and I’d take Holman as our ultimate sub right now.

Ainsworth is another concern. Burns a lot of chances for us lately. Think he needs the heat put on him as he is not playing to the standard we need of him. Maybe Flanders could play his role and see what he’s got?

Corbett was another immense inclusion. Made mistakes, but provided an option and could actually mark a ball, which is crucial to our game plan when we want to avoid stoppages at all costs!

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Swans youngsters looked a bit tired today. AFL season starting to wear on them. No Rampe, no Heeney, no Hickey. Those are all three critical players for them on every line.

We're every chance to win IMO. Boys should look as this as a chance to get our next W.

Corbett helps us out immeasurably with structure. Keep Luko down back. We can get them. Just need to play quickly. None of this stop and slow nonsense which doesn't suit us at all.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Next 2 games are crucial. The season maybe starting to wear on the Swans a little, some important injuries in Heeney, Rampe and Hickey. At home as well, we are in with a shout.

Pies the following week aren't look very crash hot at the moment either.

IF we can win both, we go to 3-4 and season looks a little brighter. Need to throw everything at this Swans game next week though.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Next 2 games are crucial. The season maybe starting to wear on the Swans a little, some important injuries in Heeney, Rampe and Hickey. At home as well, we are in with a shout.

Pies the following week aren't look very crash hot at the moment either.

IF we can win both, we go to 3-4 and season looks a little brighter. Need to throw everything at this Swans game next week though.
I wish I could like this post more than once.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
I’d like to see us make 3 changes.

Play 3 talls down back to cover Buddy, Reid & McCartin.

Let Ballard be the 3rd tall interceptor. Take some pressure off him and let him play more attacking. That’s his natural game.

Luko back onto the wing. Need his precise kicking inside 50 hitting our fwds.

Lets blood Murtagh. He’s an athlete. Let’s see him grab his chance in the ruck and run all game. Corbett & Greenwood can pinch hit if needed.

In: Ballard, Lemmens, Murtagh

Out: Macpherson, Harbrow, Burgess

B. Lemmens, Collins, Bowes

HB. Markov, Graham, Ballard

C. Ellis, Greenwood, Lukosius

HF. Swallow, Corbett, Sexton

F. Ainsworth, King, Rankine
R. Murtagh, Anderson, Miller

Int: Powell, Weller, Farrar, Holman
Sub: Flanders

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Lets blood Murtagh. He’s an athlete. Let’s see him grab his chance in the ruck and run all game. Corbett & Greenwood can pinch hit if needed.
Surely you have to reward VFL form, right? Particularly when it was against one of the strongest teams in the competition and you literally don't have a player in that position in your AFL team.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Surely you have to reward VFL form, right? Particularly when it was against one of the strongest teams in the competition and you literally don't have a player in that position in your AFL team.

For sure. And the way I look at it is Graham & Burgess are giving us very little in the ruck. A handful of hit outs. And bugger all else.

Use Murtagh and his athleticism. Free up Graham (or Burgess) to help down back. Collins is struggling to hold our defence together. Ballard’s body won’t hold up as a key defender yet all season. Let Graham share the load.

I also would love to see guys like Powell & Farrer be rotated all over the ground. Down back, on the wing & up forward. Create different options for us. Make us less predictable 🤷‍♂️

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I’d like to see us make 3 changes.

Play 3 talls down back to cover Buddy, Reid & McCartin.

Let Ballard be the 3rd tall interceptor. Take some pressure off him and let him play more attacking. That’s his natural game.

Luko back onto the wing. Need his precise kicking inside 50 hitting our fwds.

In: Ballard, Lemmens, Murtagh

Out: Macpherson, Harbrow, Burgess

B. Lemmens, Collins, Bowes

HB. Markov, Graham, Ballard

C. Ellis, Greenwood, Lukosius

HF. Swallow, Corbett, Sexton

F. Ainsworth, King, Rankine
R. Murtagh, Anderson, Miller

Int: Powell, Weller, Farrar, Holman
Sub: Flanders
McCartin has been playing full back for Sydney since halfway through last year.

Oh - got that you probably meant MCdonald?

Last edited:

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In: Lemmens, Ballard, Flanders
Out: Mcpherson, Harbrow, Holman (sub)

FB: Lemmens - Collins - Ballard
FF: Papley - Franklin - Reid

HB: Bowes - Farrar - Markov
HF: Hayward - Mcdonald - Gulden

C: Ellis - Greenwood - Weller
C: Florent - Parker - Blakey

HF: Ainsworth - Corbett - Rankine
HB: Hewett - Melican - Cunningham

FF: Burgess - King - Sexton
FB: Dawson - McCartin - Lloyd

R: Graham - Anderson - Miller
R: Hickey - Mills - Warner

B: Powell - Swallow - Flanders - Lukosius
B: Mcinerny - Kennedy - Campbell - Stephens

Sub: Holman

Murtagh was good, but I'm happy to go with this set up. Ruck Graham.
Play King, Corbett and Burgess tall forwards.
Get Rankine up the ground, needs to be involved more in the play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back