Review Round 7 = Essendon 85-85 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching live.

Essendon had us covered running back to goal it would have been a turnover.

He had WHE running towards the pocket who had a 10 metre head start on his man. All he had to do was pop it into space. Best case WHE marks it and worst case it goes out for a throw in. I think others have pointed out that Crisp and Checkers were also on but they were much harder kicks to hit. Mind boggling his decision to do a U turn at that point in play.

It was a fantastic game. The pressure was enormous most of the game and the players felt that heat. If you were there and still think that was a fumbly, mistake riddled game I don't have much faith in your judgement. Pressure leads to mistakes. Why did Beau fumble that gimme in the goal square? Referred pressure and an anxiety to kick the goal before he had the pill.

When some of our best are fumbling and turning the pill over there is usually a good reason.

Agreed. It was a cracking game played at a finals like standard. I'll be staggered if both teams don't feature in September and a rematch would be worthy.

Watching the replay
Oh checkers. How did he kick so badly in the end there? We had our chances.

I’m even more disappointed with the draw now after watching it again. Unlike Fly, I’m living in the space of the what ifs. How can you not?

For one of those opportunities - first one I think - Checkers had Sidey on his own some 15-20 metres to his left and on a better angle. I don’t know why he didn’t pass it to him. Again, exhaustion and muddled thinking could have contributed to that mistake. You may not agree.

Sidey needed to demand the ball there. He was just loping about all on his own but never pleaded for the footy. I do agree though that Checkers should've hit him up though.

Watching the replay
Oh checkers. How did he kick so badly in the end there? We had our chances.

I’m even more disappointed with the draw now after watching it again. Unlike Fly, I’m living in the space of the what ifs. How can you not?
Just as we're feeling it about Checker's 2 misses or Billy not getting to that ball.. I had a read of the Bombers thread & they're all going through the same feelings.

I was convinced we'd lost when Langford marked it. I didn't even look, I just assumed he'd kicked it. Then looked around me & all the Bombers fans had their heads in their hands. How the hell did he miss that?

The more I think about it, the more I think a draw was fitting. And 2 points is always better than no points.

How were we outplayed when we out scored them except for the first five minutes. We gave them a four goal head start Jen. Don’t believe stats. We win a lot of games with stats against us. Momentum swung back and forward all day yesterday. Opposition played well too. we all should be proud of the boys. They had nothing left to give in the last quarter.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

We essentially played with a 4 goal handicap against us.

We cooked at least 5 last quarter chances to win the game.

Yes i know Langford missed a doozy. The stats sheet is skewed to the Dons because they bent us over at stoppage so had more access to the pill.

We did a lot right from the 8 min mark of the first term, except for executing our chances inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’re right. Bombers were generally more composed with ball in hand than we were.

They and their supporters should probably feel more disappointed in the drawn result than us.

How so? They coughed up a 30 odd point lead. We were the better side from that point on.

They looked more composed because they played a high possession, uncontested mark kind of game.

Our fast paced style looks shocking when guys like JDG and Crisp can't hit up 3 metre handballs.

Collingwood had more missed opportunities than Essendon so unfortunately it’s us that needs to regret lost chances. Much better than a loss though and those two points might be crucial in September
Agree. It also takes percentage largely out the equation too.

Also agree, we had more missed opportunities, especially in that last quarter which I just finished watching again.

I think you’re right. Bombers were generally more composed with ball in hand than we were.

They and their supporters should probably feel more disappointed in the drawn result than us.

Not sure how they should be disappointed that Collingwoods skill and goal kicking errors let them off the hook. They should be glad Collingwood made so many mistakes and Collingwood glad those mistakes only cost 2 points not 4

Gotta say, Durham (MSD ..quick, hard at it, in & under) and Nic Martin (rookie ..6'4, runs like the wind & good footskills) are sensational gets for them!
Wow, didn't realise Nic Martin was 6'4", always looked smaller to me. Great player though

10 secs into 3Q, we win the ball from CS (maybe only one for the afternoon) and kick into f50.

McKay has his arms wrapt around Coxy & not looking at the ball. Coxy throws him to floor ..PLAY ON ..Ess intercept mark.

After all the soft holding /interference infringements the ESS forwards received during the day, Coxy gets nothing.

Has received nothing his whole career ..really frustrating.

I’ll be honest and say I have only quickly read through the thread but I saw some impossibly bad takes in it.

Blaming McReery and Schultz when our midfield was applying so little pressure whilse these two were? Blaming Moore or any of the defenders when the ball was coming in relentlessly due to extremely poor stoppage work?

This loss (edit: draw) is due to one thing and one thing only: our appalling clearance and onball performance.

Firstly it gave them a 4 goal head start which is not forgivable in a close game. And unlike the Port game where they were kicking extremely difficult shot out of their arses, the first four bombers goals were mostly easy mark/easy shots. In that period we got our hands on the ball 4 times. Yep, 4 disposals while the other team has four goals. It’s gotta be some sort of record.

Then for the rest of the game we were useless at stoppages and even worse than that at centre bounces. Essendon kicked 43 points from stoppage, half their score! And this isn’t even in a game with a lot of stoppages where we did the same because in return our stoppage work netted us… 3 points. Yep another record broken here I reckon.

So all in all I don’t have the breakdown but sure that our scoring came from kick ins and rebound from defence as well as forward half turnovers. Meaning the backline and forward line did more than their job.

Why were we so shite in the middle? I’d say a combination of short turnaround impacting Pendles Sidey and Mitchell’s ability to be physical and just about the worse 23 touches game from Jordy. If Bobby was Santa distributing gifts last week, Jordy was the Grinch dishing out poisonous handballs to half his teammates.

We relied solely on Nick who needs protection and unfortunately have little versatility to bring anyone on the inside to change things up (Crisp tried and failed and no one else is good enough). I think one of our rotation mids needs to be better on the inside so whoever that is needs to lift in the VFL (Sullivan, Macrae).

Last edited:
I miss his missing targets by 10 metres from 20 metres way.
At least he gets the ball to be in a position to miss a target. More than can be of said of some of our current clearance crew. Three big losses really this year - McStay, Murphy and Adams, not to mention old age casting a weary pall over several senior blokes, some of whom may still come good like they did last year.

I’ll be honest and say I have only quickly read through the thread but I saw some impossibly bad takes in it.

Blaming McReery and Schultz when our midfield was applying so little pressure whilse these two were? Blaming Moore or any of the defenders when the ball was coming in relentlessly due to extremely poor stoppage work?

This loss is due to one thing and one thing only: our appalling clearance and onball performance.

Firstly it gave them a 4 goal head start which is not forgivable in a close game. And unlike the Port game where they were kicking extremely difficult shot out of their arses, the first four bombers goals were mostly easy mark/easy shots. In that period we got our hands on the ball 4 times. Yep, 4 disposals while the other team has four goals. It’s gotta be some sort of record.

Then for the rest of the game we were useless at stoppages and even worse than that at centre bounces. Essendon kicked 43 points from stoppage, half their score! And this isn’t even in a game with a lot of stoppages where we did the same because in return our stoppage work netted us… 3 points. Yep another record broken here I reckon.

So all in all I don’t have the breakdown but sure that our scoring came from kick ins and rebound from defence as well as forward half turnovers. Meaning the backline and forward line did more than their job.

Why were we so shite in the middle? I’d say a combination of short turnaround impacting Pendles Sidey and Mitchell’s ability to be physical and just about the worse 23 touches game from Jordy. If Bobby was Santa distributing gifts last week, Jordy was the Grinch dishing out poisonous handballs to half his teammates.

We relied solely on Nick who needs protection and unfortunately have little versatility to bring anyone on the inside to change things up (Crisp tried and failed and no one else is good enough). I think one of our rotation mids needs to be better on the inside so whoever that is needs to lift in the VFL (Sullivan, Macrae).
As bad as saying we lost when we didn’t?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back